Select Multiple Tags - Tag Editing

fragefrank

Idea

18 replies to this idea

Please make it possible to select more than one tag at a time so that I can take action on the group and not just one tag. (Same with Notebooks)

Thus I'd be able to: Move; Delete; Go Top-level; Remove from short-cuts; Create sub-tag in; and Combine; 10 tags in one click. 

ALSO

Merge tags (combine all notes from a tag or group of tags to one target tag)

A batch tag Rename editor. EV programming team, you can do this. It is long overdue. A part of a comprehensive tag editing system.

Example:

34 tags are named for the participants of the Boston meeting 2020. 28 of them were originally set-up with the word Boston at the start so they'd all be together. [ie "Boston - Mary Adams"] 

I want to "Move" (stack) all 34 under the tag Boston Meeting 2020 [thus selecting more than one at a time].

I want to Batch Rename 28 of them eliminating "Boston - " from the beginning of the tags name as that's now unnecessary given the Tag Stack their in.

A more comprehensive robust tag editing system would allow this. 

Do you want to encourage a greater appreciation for the new EV 10, over the nay sayers? Give them some things the legacy system will never have. And also give them a fun and proven way to randomly explore the vast note library many of us have. 

REQUESTING:

1) A Comprehensive Tag Editing system in the Tag window. And also accessed through the Tag bar at the bottom of a note.

2) A Finder style window in the Tag window. Using tags like folders in the finder. Tags that expands to the right, not to bottom. Select a tag from a more left pane and the right expands to all tags nested (stacked, moved) there in. And if at the note level, expands to a pane with all notes sorted by my choice of: Alpha, date, size, ascending and descending. Let me drag and drop, multi selections. Exploring the contents of my Notes via a Tag Window that displays like a Path Finder Folder Explorer window will let me see notes I'd likely never see again otherwise.

But, to get the ball rolling, the next EV release must let me select multiple tags. I've over 4,000 and I expect most seasoned EV users have a lot. I've been seeing a request for a comprehensive tag editing system since at least 2015. 

[Also that release could let me select multiple notebooks, as did 7.14.]

• Like 9

Oh, how I wish that there was the ability to delete multiple tags!!! I would love to be able to rename them. The HUGE issue I had with the older versions of Evernote was that I have a lot (gynormous!) number of tags and was not able to select Tags in the menu options and edit or delete them. HUGE issue for me. I went to another program because of this but am back to Evernote on a limited basis. The ability to do whatever needs to be done to Tags (renaming, deleting) needs a huge makeover. 

ForgetfulElephant... I totally agree. I just upgraded to the latest version and I still can't select multiple tags. PLEASE, EVERNOTE, PLEASE GIVE US THIS FUNCTIONALITY!!! Thank you, hope you are listening, Judy

• Like 2

Exactly what led me to this post - not being able to do this...

On 10/12/2020 at 10:21 AM, ppmartin said:

Good suggestion. It would be good, for example, to be able to select all tags with zero or only one corresponding entry, and be able to delete them all in one click.

• Level 5

You fix a bug, you develop a feature.

You currently have a package: v10 is there, to stay, and legacy is still there, in case you need it. Your subscription money goes into a pot, out of which current operations are paid as well as development (and maybe stupid things management deems as wise, like selling socks in the past).

You can’t pick for which part you want to pay, and for which part not.

If for your use case you need the tagging comfort & efficiency of legacy, then install it, use it and feel happy that this option is still around.