Questions about the new version

righteousdork

Idea

You leave the forums for a week and it all hits the fan apparently.  So no more beta and the official releases are out.  Uh...ok.
For anyone running the new version, can you confirm some things for me please?

1. Are we able to edit the created / updated dates?
  2. Can you navigate around the app using the keyboard only?  Moving between the note list, into a note's metadata, into the note itself, and back out again.
  3. Does the collapsed left-panel still use mouse-over instead of clicking to access Shortcuts, Tags, Notebooks, etc?

According to the "What's New in Evernote" article, I guess we're stuck with tags at the bottom of notes despite numerous attempts by me and others to point out the flaws in that.  I guess we've lost that battle.

10 replies to this idea

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm not running the new app but you might need this if you jump that way...  Install an older version of Evernote

Edit:  Sorry - Welcome back by the way!  ;)

I was using the latest beta there for a couple weeks but had to switch back because I need to edit dates in my notes.  That's a non-negotiable for me.
Thought I would jump in to see if there's a new beta.  Shew...was not expecting a public release for the apps.  I do not believe they are ready for prime-time yet, but that isn't for me to decide.  I really hope Evernote knows what it's doing and is really internalizing the comments here and the press out there.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

I really hope Evernote knows what it's doing and is really internalizing the comments here

You could definitely say this update has not been universally welcomed.  And yes we all share your hope!  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, righteousdork said:

I really hope Evernote knows what it's doing and is really internalizing the comments here and the press out there.

I'm sure Evernote knows what it's doing    
The reality is Evernote is a business - decisions are not always going to be popular for users

And I hope no one is "internalizing" the disparaging comments

I am grateful for the work of the developers, support, and staff assisting us in these forums     
I'm a long term user, and am hopeful of continuing with version 10 (when work-in-progress is completed)
And if I decide to switch to a different service, I will value my Evernote experience; it has served me well

I made an informed decision to participate in testing the IOS platform   
I'm not participating in Mac platform testing (no testing device)
I see my role as providing objective feedback in the forums

• Like 3
21 hours ago, righteousdork said:

Can you navigate around the app using the keyboard only?  Moving between the note list, into a note's metadata, into the note itself, and back out again.

You cannot get into the note editor with the keyboard. You can move around with the TAB pretty much everywhere which is nice but not being able to get "in" the note is the most important part of the keyboard moving. 

If you are within the note, you can CTRL + TAB into the title but once you leave the title with another CTRL + TAB, you cannot get back with the TAB. It takes you to the reminder and tag area now instead of going back.

If they can fix the speed and this keyboard, it will be a lot better for me as a start.

I broke down and installed the Mac version to see for myself, since I use that one a lot less than the Legacy Windows client.  Same results there. You cannot use the keyboard to navigate into a note and back out.  There really should be dedicated shortcuts for this behavior.

Has anyone had any luck using the keyboard shortcuts for adding tags and doing searches?  I could not get those to work in the Mac client. and I remember having issues with the search in the latest Windows beta as well.  I’m surprised they would do a public release with broken shortcuts.  I must be missing something here.

On 10/13/2020 at 8:26 PM, TK0047 said:

You cannot get into the note editor with the keyboard.

According to the official list of shorcuts hitting enter with the focus on the note in the note lsit is supposed to take you into the note editor. It doesn't work for me and I've raised it in the issues forum.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:24 AM, righteousdork said:

Has anyone had any luck using the keyboard shortcuts for adding tags and doing searches?  

They are very context specific and don't always work when you think they should, or even when the official list says they should. The bug with alt-ctrl-F not working when the sidebar is minimised is fixed (without any announcement obviously) so this should work provided you have the focus on the note list.

Similarly alt-ctrl-T will work if the focus is on the note in the notelist

F3 works either in edit mode or with the focus on the notelist.

On 10/19/2020 at 4:24 AM, Mike P said:

They are very context specific and don't always work when you think they should, or even when the official list says they should. The bug with alt-ctrl-F not working when the sidebar is minimised is fixed (without any announcement obviously) so this should work provided you have the focus on the note list.

Similarly alt-ctrl-T will work if the focus is on the note in the notelist

F3 works either in edit mode or with the focus on the notelist.

Haha.  I read all that and still don't understand.  I mean how hard is this?  Make a keyboard shortcut that works no matter where you are in the app.