Saved search returns unexpected results

Go to solution Solved by DTLow,

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, poppy21 said:

-reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:* works OK ondesktop mac app (v 7.14)

I get 0 notes on my Mac
What is the intended target
- I see exclude future dated, exclude completed
- I don't see any  include

The intended target is 

there is a reminder with date is no later than today
NO reminder done time
The plus 1 is to make today’s show up, else you only get up to yesterday because it is a negation of Today.

So this normally finds notes which are due today or due on previous days and not completed.
  • Level 5*
  • Solution
16 hours ago, poppy21 said:

The intended target is 

there is a reminder with date is no later than today
NO reminder done time
The plus 1 is to make today’s show up, else you only get up to yesterday because it is a negation of Today.

So this normally finds notes which are due today or due on previous days and not completed.

reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*   
all dated reminders, exclude future dated, exclude completed

To also include undated reminders   reminderOrder:*

• Like 1

reminderTime:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

Thanks. That works OK on iOS and also mac web version. Previously, the reminderTime:* was not required - I presume it was inferred. There is something subtly different about the way this search syntax has been implemented, or maybe the life cycle of reminders?: absent -> present -> dated -> completed. 

• Level 5*
On 9/29/2020 at 1:28 PM, poppy21 said:

Thanks. That works OK on iOS and also mac web version. Previously, the reminderTime:* was not required - I presume it was inferred. There is something subtly different about the way this search syntax has been implemented, or maybe the life cycle of reminders?: absent -> present -> dated -> completed. 

It shouldn't have worked previously.  -reminderdonetime:* would return all notes other than those with a completed reminder.   

It's the minus that can cause confusion.  The remindertme:day+1 search is a positive search so the note must have a remindertime to be included in the results.  The result is all notes with future reminder times.  The -remindertme:day+1 search is the complement of that so it is any note which does not have remindertime in the future.  The result is all notes without out future reminder times which includes notes without any reminder times.

This fix to this is to add the reminderorder:* so that the note must have a reminder to be included in the results..

• Like 1

Trying to search all notes updated or created within last week with this search: any: created:week-1 updated:week-1

It’s been working beautifully for years but produces random results with Evernote iOS 10.0.3. It works on the Mac desktop as intended. I don’t even know what iOS 10.0.3 searches for as there are about 4 times as many notes in the search result as in the correct search result (on the desktop). Results that include notes not updated for months!

I’ve also tried: any: created:day-7 updated:day-7, but with similar erroneous search results.

• OK, so basically I'm using notebook: "Notebook" any: created:week-1 updated:week-1 to search for notes updated or created within the last week in the notebook "Notebook".
  • Problem is that Evernote iOS 10.0.4 automatically puts notebook:"Notebook" outside of the search box with a blue filter tag with a close ("x") button on it.
  • After several searches I've concluded that the any statement ("OR" statement) applies (erroneously) to all of the terms – INCLUDING the notebook:"Notebook" ,
  • The Evernote search syntax states it's better to put the notebook: argument FIRST and subsequently the search then searches this notebook for any note created or updated during the last week.
  • What happens is that Evernote iOS 10.0.4 makes the notebook argument part of the any (OR) statement – so it becomes any notes updated or created last week AND all notes in "Notebook" (any note updated last week OR created last week OR in "Notebook" – instead of: in "Notebook" any note updated last week OR created last week) this is erroneous.
  • The (Mac) desktop app searches correctly for any notes in "Notebook" that has been updated or created during the last week.
  • I haven't found a workaround, but ultimately this a bug that needs to be fixed.
  • Does anyone have a workaround solution?
  • Thanks 1

confirmed - V10 is any-ing all search terms while V8 does it correctly: search A or B within a particular notebook.

That is strange / bad

raising a support ticket would be the next step...

=== this search returns different results on V8 and V10.0.4 ===

notebook:WEG any: tag:Energie tag:Auto

@Shane D.FYI