Drag n drop iPadOS

VDo

Idea

31 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Talking about getting something back: Has this ever worked on an iPad with prior versions of EN ? I can’t remember.

What works with EN 10 is Split View and drag & drop of text, for example from a web site in split view into a note.

What I was not able to drop was any kind of file, be it a picture from a web site or a file from the files app. Simply does not work - and would be very useful to have.

• Thanks 1

Agreed, I don’t know how many times I try to drag and drop things only to discover it doesn’t work. I can manually add by saving to “On My iPad” in Files and then adding later, but it would be so much easier productive to just drag and drop.

• Like 1

It did work at the end! My workflow is within iPad 90% of the time so this is a major drawback for me. Been a premium user since 2008, used EN both for my professional and personal life. Did think about changing for other note taking apps since EN 10. However EN OCR capability for images is quite hard to beat. So, I keep fingers crossed for bugs get fixed. 

Drag and drop of images use to work. Now every time I drag in an image Evernote will freeze up.

And when can we have better clipping options for iPad? SIRI Shortcuts are a hit and miss sometimes. I still prefer clipping from Windows and Android.

I am using IPADOS 14 with the latest Evernote update 10.0.3. I have been a user since 2008.

• Level 5

Just tried it on my iPad Pro 10.5, iOS 14.4, EN iOS 10.5:

EN open, plus another app in split mode

With Safari: A text on a web site selected, dragged (moved a little, waited until the text appeared in a little detached window, then moved over to EN) and dropped into an open note that is already in editing mode. After dropping, it took a little moment, then the text was inserted. Conclusion: D&D of text works.

With Photos: Same setup, same procedure: The photo is not inserted. Conclusion: Does not work with pictures.

So if you move text, it seems to work, with pictures, it doesn’t.

• Like 1

The lack of this and a few other things that are basic functionality when using iPad are getting very close to being a deal breaker. If Goodnotes5 had tags I would have switched already.

Yes, please - bring back those basic iPad functionalities like drag and drop and proper split screen usability. This is being painfully missed every day on my part. Apart from that, I can also confirm that Evernote is running well on the new M1 iPad Pro. But we definitely need back those iPad specific functionalities. 

• Level 5

Would be nice if „back“ was a proper description. When introduced (not foreseeable) it would be a real extension of all prior clients. Split view has never been supported by EN since it was introduced on iPadOS.

It would mean to enable the mobile client to handle more than one note at a time. This would be a real booster for productivity.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Would be nice if „back“ was a proper description. When introduced (not foreseeable) it would be a real extension of all prior clients. Split view has never been supported by EN since it was introduced on iPadOS.

It would mean to enable the mobile client to handle more than one note at a time. This would be a real booster for productivity.

I think we are talking of two different things here - I can still remember quite well using Evernote in split screen mode and then dragging and dropping content over into a note from another application. And this is what I was referring to. Good old days before the Evernote v10 armageddon last fall. So, yes, bring it back Evernote! 

You are talking about two instances of Evernote running in two separate split screens. Just like what Apple Notes can do (including dragging content between two notes by the way). I don't know if Evernote could ever do something like this, but I suppose not. Here you are right - this would be a nice addition. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Spilt screen was possible with another application (as it is with v10), but it was never possible with 2 instances of EN open side by side.

The only workaround to have 2 EN sessions on an iPad was (and is) to open the web client in a browser window. This is a less than productive idea, because of limitations of the web client.

Drag & Drop is another issue. As I read it the problem is the framework in which EN is running. The v10 app is not native, it runs inside of a browser-like entity. Maybe it is possible to drag into the framework, but not into the app itself. Just my 5 ct …

• Like 1

Even though Evernote through iPadOs Safari crashes when I try to write a note title, I have been able to drag n drop a PDF file from the Files app to a note within Safari and it did work. 

Oh my gosh, I just realized it is also possible to see the embedded PDF within Safari!

So how come, it is not possible to get this into Evernote for iOS? 

72428B69-5F1A-499A-9181-E5EBCBB76C0B.jpeg

• Level 5

Safari uses WebKit, Apples own engine for browsers. You would expect stuff to work there, since it is supported on the OS level. EN web client in a Safari browser window makes use of it.

The EN client AFAIK does not use WebKit, they use another framework that runs on Android as well. It does not share the same functions with iOS.

On the iPad using the web client can be a real alternative to the EN app.

On 6/12/2021 at 7:17 AM, PinkElephant said:

Safari uses WebKit, Apples own engine for browsers. You would expect stuff to work there, since it is supported on the OS level. EN web client in a Safari browser window makes use of it.

The EN client AFAIK does not use WebKit, they use another framework that runs on Android as well. It does not share the same functions with iOS.

On the iPad using the web client can be a real alternative to the EN app.

I am using Ipad Pro M1 11’ ipadOS 14

I can view a note within the web client but every time I try to edit a note, it crashes Safari. The web client cannot be a real alternative to the EN app for me.

Any other have experienced this issue?

• Level 5

Will probably be a long wait for us iPad users. Up to now EN shows no signs to add features specific to a certain device (like the iPad) to the mobile client.

Full split screen support, drag & drop of content, 2 EN sessions in parallel, you name it.

Maybe we should start a crowdsharing and donate an iPad to @Ian Small .

• Confused 1
16 hours ago, Upasst said:

EN is ok at what they are. Their product model is a desktop business user. They are stuck in 2010 and haven’t the capacity to grow

You have a point. The biggest drawback of Evernote for me is that it clearly is aimed at the desktop, not mobile. On iOS you can’t drag a bullet item with a gesture, but you can with a mouse on the desktop. You can’t press the Evernote icon to get options like Create New Note like you can with most iOS app. You can’t see PDFs inline like you can on the desktop. There is no iOS widget like most apps have. As has been noted, dragging from other apps has mixed results at best.

The big question is if these things are even possible given Evernote’s architecture? 

Edited by ObviousBob
Corrected typos, I hope
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

Currently EN is working on desktop and on mobile, if it is a phone (Android can be debated, iPhone is pretty solid).

The iPad and other devices with a stylus (Android, Windows) and extended capabilities are not supported well. EN is not using them to their capabilities, and is not showing any phantasy do develop use cases unique to these devices. Which for me as a heavy iPad Pro user is a permanent PITA and shortfall. I don’t think they ignore it, I think they still have other things higher up on the backlog.

Above I have posted the idea to run a crowdfunding campaign to buy an iPad for Ian Small. Maybe we should follow up on this …

• Like 1
On 9/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, Upasst said:

Their product model is a desktop business user.

That seems like the case to me too -- and highlighted by the points specified by ObviousBob.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, Upasst said:

They are stuck in 2010 and haven’t the capacity to grow

But that doesn't seem like the case to me. Desktops (and desktops first) are still in use by a very large number of people. But yes, perhaps if you use mobile more than Desktop then EN is not as good of a fit as an app more specifically tailored to take advantage of that mobile devices native feature-set. But that doesn't mean EN haven't the capacity to grow -- but it may mean that it's not a great fit for you and others in particular.

I think they were dead in the water without this major rewrite to unify things across the board.

How many app ecosystems run on web, iOS, MacOS, and Web and excel on all of them leveraging all the feature-set of said platforms? I would say that generally, apps that excel at using all the features of a specific device are also limited to that specific device (like Craft, Bear, and Apple notes in the Apple only ecosystem).

I think EN had to take this big step back to regroup to better have the capacity to grow and I think we've seen some great improvements since last year.

On 9/10/2021 at 3:05 PM, ObviousBob said:

The big question is if these things are even possible given Evernote’s architecture? 

Yeah - remains to be seen. Hopefully they are possible.

• Level 5

iOS makes it harder than other platforms to perform operations between apps. In iOS all apps run in hier own sandbox. Every interaction between apps is controlled by the OS, and needs to be specifically permitted. 

I hope EN will add this functionality to the app in the future, especially on the iPad.

• Like 1