Paste images on ink notes to draw over them

doktorzirb

Idea

I really miss being able to paste any screen capture or image. The possibility of drawing on them using the usual tool in ink notes would be even better. This is one of the points which makes EN lag behind OneNote. You can paste images in regular notes, but the good old integrated Sketch editor is quite limited.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm confused.  It's quite possible to copy and paste / clip / capture as PDF / screenshot or email content into Evernote.  In exactly what circumstance are you finding it difficult to acquire content?  And once you have the content it's quite possible to convert it to an image or a PDF (if it's not one of those already) and annotate that copy as necessary.  Again what more do you need Evernote to do?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough: I'm referring to the ability to paste into ink notes, not into regular text notes. I guess you know how Evernote's ink notes work.

As I expected to be obvious in my former comment, you can paste or capture virtually anything in regular notes, and annotate images withinn a note with the (still supported) integrated editor (the old Sketch-It editor that Evernote dropped out as a standalone tool a long time ago)

You can't do that in Evernote's ink notes in the Windows client (or in the Android client either; can't say if it's possible to do it in Mac or IOS)

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, doktorzirb said:

I'm referring to the ability to paste into ink notes, not into regular text notes. I guess you know how Evernote's ink notes work...can't say if it's possible to do it in Mac or IOS)

Confirmed; that would be a Windows specific limitation
On a Mac, they are regular notes with an ink attachment - easy to insert image attachments

You got it my friend, that's why I posted this in the "Evernote for Windows Requests" forum, in which Mac users are all welcome too needless to say! ;) That said, the idea is not get the images as an attachment, but to be able to write over them seamlessly

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, doktorzirb said:

That said, the idea is not get the images as an attachment, but to be able to write over them seamlessly

There's no option for "image as an attachment"
Evernote's note format is text based enml, with images (and ink) referenced as a link
The images are displayed inline so the result will look seamless

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, doktorzirb said:

That said, the idea is not get the images as an attachment, but to be able to write over them seamlessly

Right clicking on the image and selecting the editor of your choice is about as seamless as it gets with EN, or annotate.  But as you say, not an ink note,

35 minutes ago, CalS said:

Right clicking on the image and selecting the editor of your choice is about as seamless as it gets with EN, or annotate.  But as you say, not an ink note,

Yep, exactly, that's I'm referring to, thank you

As a matter of fact, as I was saying, you don't even need any external editor to annotate inline images in a regular text note: the integrated editor, reachable by r-cliking on any image, which still exists for IOS as a stand alone app but not for Android or desktop anymore, is terrific.

EN ink notes (quite competitive in their current implementation) are an entirely different word, or several different worlds, so to speak, depending on which platform we are using.

- On Android, they turn into an editable object, displayed inline, along with any other doc you want to attach in a regular note. Once synced, you can edit the resulting note with the integrated SketchIt annotation tool by r-clicking on it or on any other included image. Every platform implementation resorts to a different handwriting / drawing tool.

- On the Windows desktop application, they are a separate entity, with fantastic hand-writing and drawing features (including basic shape recognition).

However, none of them let  you paste an image into the drawing area and seamlessly draw on it.

My point is that it should be technically viable. I'd dare say that each stroke in an EN ink note is internally represented as a separate object, with a nifty bunch of public methods in the class  to resize, copy, paste, move and change color properties. There should be a way to import a jpg or bitmap image as a new object into the EN ink note (a cinch in C++, let alone Python) adapting the public methods to that case.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:58 PM, doktorzirb said:

However, none of them let  you paste an image into the drawing area and seamlessly draw on it.

YEs, I also want to do this.  I want to be able to start an ink drawing, add an image, ,and continue drawing over it.  

In samsung notes, or xiaomi notes this is possible