How to recover lost data

The good thing about "sync everyday" in Evernote settings, is that if you have data loss in your desktop client and you have not sync after your data loss, you can go to your Evernote web version to recover the the note that have not been corrupted or data loss "hopefully"

That is if you have discovered this early. 

What do you think?

• Level 5

Further to this, on the server you find the note history, which is a version history of all changes done to a note. So even if a change included something like a delete action, the previous status can be won back by going back in history and reactivate the note version before the wrong action.

This does not work on a note that was completely deleted.

The feature is only available to paying users, but in the background it runs for Basic accounts as well. When someone upgrades, the note history is unlocked and available even for changes prior to the upgrade.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Another aspect is that if the client is hit by a ransomware attack, the sync will most likely fail. At least up to now the ransomware will only encrypt the data on the client, and by this cause the sync to fail. This keeps the server copy isolated from the attack, and allows to recover the EN data after the computer was swiped, or to a new machine.

My clients are all running on auto-sync every few minutes.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, jianfa.tsai said:

The good thing about "sync everyday" in Evernote settings

You're suggesting a hypothetical setting   
The reality is syncing is automatic; data loss is replicated to the cloud and all our devices

"Sync everyday" would mean we can't trust the data on our devices or cloud to be the most up-to-date     
I can see the potential for data conflicts, and lost data from device failures

My recovery solution is data backups   
- Time Machine on my Mac (hourly incremental)   
- Evernote's Note History backup (incremental at multiple times daily)
- Daily incremental and Weekly full backups

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Further to this, on the server you find the note history, which is a version history of all changes done to a note. So even if a change included something like a delete action, the previous status can be won back by going back in history and reactivate the note version before the wrong action.

This does not work on a note that was completely deleted.

The feature is only available to paying users, but in the background it runs for Basic accounts as well. When someone upgrades, the note history is unlocked and available even for changes prior to the upgrade.

Hello! I am an Evernote user for years now, recently upgraded to a Premium account. May I ask more specifically how does backup note work? How can I use it? I've got some notes which I'd like to see their history. Thank you.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, jianfa.tsai said:

The good thing about "sync everyday" in Evernote settings, is that if you have data loss in your desktop client and you have not sync after your data loss, you can go to your Evernote web version to recover the the note that have not been corrupted or data loss "hopefully"

That is if you have discovered this early. 

What do you think?

The risk of data loss, for me meaning accidentally deleting a note, is so minuscule as to make this a non starter.  I would not want to lose the benefits of History throughout the day on the  very off chance I might accidentally delete a note.  Since auto backup each night with Backupery I would just get the note from there should it ever happen. 

Worst yet the data on my other devices would be out of sync with my PC and conflicts would be created whenever I used them. 

In sum, bad idea to sync once a day for me and just about anyone else using multiple device..

• 11 months later...
  • Level 5

The article is quite clear about the risk - which is in both cases mentioned an imported one, originating on devices or services linked to the GD.

Since this is the Evernote forum, you better ask in a GoogleDrive forum, best one that is concerned with security issues.

EN itself should be pretty safe - when notes get encrypted locally, the header information will be encrypted as well, and the corrupted note will not sync to the server any more.