Jump to content
Due to limited holiday staffing, chat will be unavailable from Thursday, July 2 at 5:30 PM (CDT) to Monday, July 13 at 8 AM (CDT). This will allow us to reply to your email requests as quickly as possible. Thank you for understanding. ×
Mata Hari

Two accounts, how to transfer notes

Recommended Posts

I have two accounts, would like to transfer some of my notes from the first to the second acc

Share this post


Link to post

I have a notebook with 44 notes. Do you mean I shall copy the links to each one of them ??

Share this post


Link to post

No, you can share a whole notebook. This means all notes in that notebook are accessible from the other account. For example, I share a notebook "Recipes" with my wife. We both put new recipes in there, and can both have access, no matter who created the note.

Important: The notes still belong to the first account. They are not moved, they are accessible though the share. You can not abandon or delete the first account, because then the notes will loose their "home". If you really want to move them over, the best way would be through exporting them to an ENEX-backup file, and reimport them back into the other account. The notebook information will be lost, so the best way to do this is to create an ENEX-file per notebook, and manually recreate this notebook in the new account to move the notes into there after the import.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Important: The notes still belong to the first account. They are not moved, they are accessible though the share. You can not abandon or delete the first account, because then the notes will loose their "home". If you really want to move them over, the best way would be through exporting them to an ENEX-backup file, and reimport them back into the other account.

You can certainly move notes from a notebook that's shared to you to a notebook in your local account, so long as the shared notebook has been shared as writable (you can copy notes from a read-only notebook). Tags that aren't in your local account will be added, so your note tags are retained (but I think you lose any tag hierarchy from the source account, if that's important to you; it's not really for me). The Windows Evernote client makes this easy, since you can select a bunch of notes and move them all en masse, or copy them if you want to be extra careful, making that they transfer correctly before you delete them from the old account (I would). Can't do that on the web or Android clients; Evernote for Mac and iOS I don't know.

The point is, you can move notes between accounts, and they will take on their new "home". No need to go through the export/import dance.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, never tried it this way.

Too much trouble reports in the forum about shared notes that got orphaned. Will use the shortcut in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

I have a notebook with 44 notes. Do you mean I shall copy the links to each one of them ??

I suggested a shared notebook.  This would be your conduit between accounts

Share this post


Link to post

 

THis is what I get when trying to share. It is nothing I can use

EverNote share.png

Share this post


Link to post

The attachment is not available when I click on it. Not much to help on this.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

 

THis is what I get when trying to share. It is nothing I can use

 

Using this page, you click on Shared and specify your other account287461951_ScreenShot2020-03-07at9_31_44AM.png.87a04445e7deb68f41938790dd24ce90.png

Share this post


Link to post

Can you give an example? it does not matter what I write there, email or my name och my dog's name.
it still is grey.

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

Can you give an example? it does not matter what I write there, email or my name och my dog's name.
it still is grey.

529790178_ScreenShot2020-03-07at10_44_20AM.png.f19fe378ece2a3be8f175e21570600d7.png

Share this post


Link to post

No way I can get what you show me.  Perhaps it works on Premium only, not on free EN

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

No way I can get what you show me. 

You posted a screenshot for a private notebook   
Please post a screenshot for a new shared notebook; show what happens when you click on the Shared button

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Mata Hari said:

Do you think it was private notebook ?? why ?

0F5F23EF-BEFE-4A73-881A-934DBF21B435.jpeg.2c8e681e492bd615bac19299d29fee4a.jpeg.05811802eee875ce1eccda3e76395c14.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post

I have ticked off the shared button, and sent an invitation to myself. 
It came  as a mail,  pressed the "Reply to EN" green button

It took me to an EN site with my account which said.... "nothing shared yet "

This is really complicated

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Mata Hari said:

I have ticked off the shared button, and sent an invitation to myself. 

You have now invited the other account to share the notebook108481072_ScreenShot2020-03-08at5_04_32AM.png.47bdf634a7c3380ddd7e1f256ad4883c.png

The share invitation is sent via Evernote Chat

>>It came  as a mail,  pressed the "Reply to EN" green button   It took me to an EN site with my account which said.... "nothing shared yet "

The email notified you of a chat message

The other account accepts the share invitation in Evernote Chat

861972622_ScreenShot2020-03-08at5_08_24AM.png.d87a1067a191c7ab0e459421035a76c9.png       536540141_ScreenShot2020-03-08at5_28_40AM.png.dc07e04dd7be650c98ad7731d701a6b8.png

1321683464_ScreenShot2020-03-08at5_17_35AM.png.cab443da33791f5a1ff621d8e028cc66.png

 

Share this post


Link to post

Too complicated. Too time consuming. I throw in the towel

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry for that. If this is complicated, I have to learn a new definition for „easy“. 

Share this post


Link to post

I have two Evernote accounts and would like to merge content into one account.   How do I import the content from one account to another?

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, William G said:

I have two Evernote accounts and would like to merge content into one account.   How do I import the content from one account to another?

Export by notebook from the one account.  Import the results into the other,  As a Basic user that you may or may not run out of space for the month.  So if you can save to local notebooks until your allotment renews.  Or sign up for a month of Premium to complete the process.  You can also share one account with the other but then that isn't one account.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, William G said:

How do I import the content from one account to another?

The best solution is shared notebooks    
edit; the notes can be accessed via the shared notebook; or copied to the account

Windows/Mac users also have an export/import option

I've merged your post with a similar discussion    
You can read above about solutions

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The best solution is shared notebooks

Well that might actually be a matter of opinion depending upon use case, how a person feels about tags and the like...  ;)   

I saw what tags looked like back in the day after sharing an account and couldn't hit "undo" fast enough.

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, CalS said:

I saw what tags looked like back in the day after sharing an account and couldn't hit "undo" fast enough.

Tags look like they always do if you keep your tag tree closed (which I do, because I don't really care all that much about hierarchies). Of course, my two accounts have only one user, so tagging is pretty consistent where tags overlap -- otherwise, each of my personal and work accounts certainly do have categories of tags only used in one account but not the other. 

But to the poster's point: in the Windows client at least, you can move notes from a shared account to a local account. You'll lose note history and shared note links (as far as I can understand it), but you lose those plus any tag hierarchy doing the export / import hula dance as well.

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, jefito said:

Tags look like they always do if you keep your tag tree closed (which I do, because I don't really care all that much about hierarchies). Of course, my two accounts have only one user, so tagging is pretty consistent where tags overlap -- otherwise, each of my personal and work accounts certainly do have categories of tags only used in one account but not the other. 

But to the poster's point: in the Windows client at least, you can move notes from a shared account to a local account. You'll lose note history and shared note links (as far as I can understand it), but you lose those plus any tag hierarchy doing the export / import hula dance as well.

Got all that.  It's a personal choice.  I have the left panel closed other than those rare times some organizational need arises.  I took a look after a share and said yuck!  Mr problem I suppose, just didn't care for it.  If you really, really want one account it is the pain you go through, pain proportional to the number of notes I suppose.  🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...