Web clippings come out two characters wide

I frequently clip recipes to Evernote. Often they come out a character or two wide. If I do full size screen I May get a few mire characters but still NOT easy to read and basically useless.

ideas of what is happening. Most often happens on Bon Appétit.

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. I've printed out a number of recipes for my wife from various Websites she's found. In my experience these sites often exhibit an ASTONISHING incompetence in design. They may look cute on the screen, but try to copy the information or print it, and you expose all kinds of bizarre underlying formatting issues. :angry:

Ahem. So what what I'm saying is that you may need to experiment with Web Clipper settings, especially since it seems to happen mainly on one particular site. I suspect there may be an invisible table involved, which often causes narrow columns when transferred elsewhere. The clipper's Simplified Article setting, for instance, often helps with formatting issues. Or perhaps copy the text to the clipboard instead, and in Evernote paste without formatting.

• Level 5

This depends on the web site itself, being composed by many elements that need to be interpreted by the browser or in this case the web clipper. I am more amazed how often it works than by the exceptions.

As a workaround: Screenshot (EN will OCR pictures for those like you on Premium, so it is searchable), or Print / Print to pdf. This is easier done on a Mac than on a Windows machine.

Workaround special: I like the new feature build into iOS 13 to grab a „screenshot“ directly as continuous pdf (no page breaks), because it mimics the web site often very well. Works on iPhone and even better on iPad with Pencil - one can annotate it directly before saving.

Disadvantage of all these workarounds is that all active elements (embedded links) will cease to work.

• Level 5*

Another option I just remembered is to highlight the recipe and use the Copy selection shortcut Ctrl+Win+A, or change to what you like in Tools - Options - Shortcut keys.  This may be after you select the print option on some sites.  Whatever it takes to get the best representation of the recipe.

Most of the time this does a good job of keeping the presentation of copy as it appears on the web page.  Pretty quick too.

• Level 5

No, as I read it he just tells you that a software compliant with HTML rules can not fix any design failure made by a myriad of web designers developing and posting what they made. We often forget how much money is spend on browsers, because we take them for granted. Remember Microsoft withdrawing Edge (the one with the MS engine, it is now based on Chromium) because they could not keep up ?

So WebClipper is doing fine with most of the websites, but not with all.

• Level 5*
On 1/6/2020 at 4:45 PM, Whywaite said:

I frequently clip recipes to Evernote. Often they come out a character or two wide. If I do full size screen I May get a few mire characters but still NOT easy to read and basically useless.

Please provide specific examples so we can test it ourself

• Level 5*
On 1/6/2020 at 5:45 PM, Whywaite said:

I just clipped a recipe from the front page of Bon Appétit using EN Web Clipper and it worked fine with Article and Simplified Article.  The columns was narrower than need be (half the note window width) with the Article clip but simplify text fixed that.  What OS and browser are you using?  A specific recipe with issues?

• Level 5
On 1/8/2020 at 12:51 AM, AndreasM said:

Are you telling us, that the publisher of the website should change the design to comply with Evernote clipper, really?

Always good to hear from you, Andreas. As you know, of course, I was saying that recipe Websites often fail to comply with ANY standard of formatting that would allow them to be either printed or copied into other software.

Hope your new year is off to a good start. I see you're back to grumbling irrationally about Evernote, and I know you enjoy that. 🎉