Tag search is broken

Stuhrer

• Level 5

Searching for notes with tags starting with special characters like #,@,. is completely broken. It is also not possible to go back to the non-beta version of the Web-Interface beause the new search is active for this version as well. The Web-Interface is now almost useless for me because it totally breaks my workflow.

@stuhrer Sorry to hear about your issue. Searching for notes with tags starting with special characters should work as it previously did. I just checked with the team and tested it myself as well and it appears to work fine. Can you help me understand your experience? 1) can you share some sample terms you are searching for? 2) can you tell me where you searched previously that worked and 3) can you share the screenshot that shows up now when you do the search in the new web? 

Also, please note that you can switch back to the prior web version if you wish to see the old search. You can just click on your account name on the upper left and in the dropdown menu click "Switch to older version of Evernote". 

• Level 5

Hi,

Thank you for the quick answer. The new search was just activated for me yesterday and the described problem just appeared with this update. And I now think it is not the search but the problem is related to the tags with special characters. I use a dot for project-related, '@' for location-related and '#' for people-related tags. When I now search for such a tag or select such a tag in the tags window I get an error message. I took three screen shots. The first shows that I am actually in the classic editor version so this doesn't help.

Evernote1.png.a5f33eae4e808369098026b68efbd279.png

The next shows some of my tags starting with a dot. I tested all tags I use with three different special characters which are as mentioned above '.', '@', and '#'. 

Evernote2.png.19bca15fe7016b2700121e11cc82a3a2.png

When I now click on such a tag I get the following error message:

Evernote3.png.839a323aee6da071822dd738a691cb09.png

When I then click on 'Reload Page' I see all notes and not only the ones carrying the selected tag.

My system is Redhat Enterprise 7.5 and Google Chrome 54.0.2840 (64-bit). My locale is en_US.UTF-8. 

• Level 5

@Stuhrer Thanks for reaching out!

I'm interested to hear a little bit more about what you're experiencing.

Can you elaborate a little bit on what your expectation is for how the search should work for notes with tags starting special characters?

Do you expect tags prefixed with those special characters to appear as suggestions under “Add filter”  in the new search? Essentially, just the ability to select tags as a filter?

You mention that you search for notes with tags, so I want to make sure I'm understanding your process for doing that.

Additionally, you mentioned that the interface breaks your workflow.

Could you give me some insight into your workflow, and about the pain points where it breaks?

Let me know as I want to make sure I'm understanding everything properly, and let me know if you have any questions!

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

When I now click on such a tag I get the following error message:

I also use special characters as a tag prefix
No problems using Safari on a Mac

• Level 5
3 hours ago, Shane D. said:

@Stuhrer Thanks for reaching out!

Thanks for trying to find the reason for my problem!

It is related to my environment at work. I now tested it on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox on my Mac (actually I was surprised that Firefox now works with the new Web interface). In all three browsers it works but not in Chrome under Redhat Enterprise 7.5 at work as mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, at work I am relying on the Web interface due to the lack of a client for Linux.

The problem is not really related to search. The upgrade to the new search feature (which is awesome by the way) was just a coincidence. Something else must have been changed. When I use the new search e.g. using 'tag:.caas' which searches for all notes of a certain project I see the correct tag appearing in the search box. But when I press enter or click on the found tag I get the error message I described. The same happens when I click on such a tag in the tags window.

My workflow is really simple. I work for a number of different projects and I keep track of my work on these projects with Evernote. All notes for a project carry a special tag starting with a '.<project>'. Notes for issues which need to be worked on additionally carry the tag '.<project>-open'. This easily allows me to show all notes belonging to a project or all notes which need work. When I finish the work on a note/issue I just remove the tag '.<project>-open' and keep the tag '.<project>'.

But for the problem this is irrelevant. All tags starting with a special character result in the described problem. It would be a lot of work to change all the tag names to ones without special characters, and I am also reluctant to change it because I like this way organizing my notes.

I also tried switching languages used by my browser and by Evernote without success.

Can I provide additional information e.g. using Web developer tools of browsers etc.?

14 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

My system is Redhat Enterprise 7.5 and Google Chrome 54.0.2840 (64-bit). My locale is en_US.UTF-8. 

@Stuhrer I notified our engineering team for the Web client about the issue you're experiencing.

We noticed that you have an older version of Chrome from 2016. Can you please try updating your browser on Linux to the latest version (Chrome 78) and report back to let us know if you're still experiencing the issue?

• Level 5
58 minutes ago, Tom Donohue said:

@Stuhrer I notified our engineering team for the Web client about the issue you're experiencing.

We noticed that you have an older version of Chrome from 2016. Can you please try updating your browser on Linux to the latest version (Chrome 78) and report back to let us know if you're still experiencing the issue?

OK, I‘ll try this on Monday but I am not sure whether I have the authority to change my system at work. I shall report back on Monday. Thank you and have a good weekend.

• Level 5
On 11/23/2019 at 1:27 AM, Stuhrer said:

OK, I‘ll try this on Monday but I am not sure whether I have the authority to change my system at work. I shall report back on Monday. Thank you and have a good weekend.

Hi,

Unfortunately, I am not allowed to install the newest Chrome version on my computer at work. I tried the new interface on the installed Firefox (Version 61) and experienced the same problem. However, I could install the newest Firefox on my computer without root privileges and in version 71.0.1 tags with a special character as first character work! That means it is somehow related to previous browser versions.

I am now happy again and can continue using my work flow. Thanks for the latest hint!

Regards from Bremen in Germany

Bernd

• Like 1