I tried searching for this question but there were too many results for "tags & links". 

Here's my situation... I have some notes organized by priority level with different tags (e.g. #P1,#P2, #P3). These are my top level notes which have links within them to other notes, which are not tagged. I have these tags showing in my toolbar shortcut. So when I select my #P1 tagged notebooks, open up one of these top-level notebooks, then select a linked note; Evernote applies the #P1 tag filter automatically and since the linked note is not tagged it is not being displayed. I don't remember having this problem before. I just upgraded to Evernote 6.21.2.8716 (308716) Public (CE Build ce-62.5.9981) so maybe something was changed in this update?

Thanks for any feedback...

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, Adil_S said:

Evernote applies the #P1 tag filter automatically

I'm not sure what you mean by "applies the #P1 tag filter automatically"

You've already applied the #P1 filter; where does the automatic part come in

>>So when I select my #P1 tagged notebooks

Just to be clear, tags are applied to notes, not notebooks

Your #P1 note seem to be a Table of Contents note. 
Personally, I would have the tag assigned to all my Priority 1  notes 

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "applies the #P1 tag filter automatically"

You've already applied the #P1 filter; where does the automatic part come in

What I mean is that the filter is applied when I select the #P1 tag but then I am not able to view the linked note within that note because the filter has been applied globally. This is an issue I didn't have before and pretty sure it started after updating to this latest version of EN. This problem is only occurring in the preview panes (which is where I primarily work), since I don't double-click my notes to open them. Hope this makes more sense. 

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

The tag filter lists all notes tagged with #P1; it does not extend to linked notes

I see what you're saying.. it makes sense that by selecting a tag that it applies the filter globally. So I suppose I should just tag the linked-notes as #P1 as well since they do all fall within that category. Perhaps this was a subtle change that happened in one of the latest updates.

I think what you are saying is that if you are looking at a list of notes tagged with #P1, and one of them has a link to a note that doesn't have that tag, the link is not followed, in other words, the filter should be disabled and just show all notes in the note list when following the link normally to the untagged note, instead it kinda bounces back, correct? 

If so, I noticed the same issue, it is recent, I reported it in the 6.21 beta, got no comments so far.  It is simply not expected behavior, as far as I am concerned.

10 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I think what you are saying is that if you are looking at a list of notes tagged with #P1, and one of them has a link to a note that doesn't have that tag, the link is not followed, in other words, the filter should be disabled and just show all notes in the note list when following the link, correct? 

If so, I noticed the same issue, it is recent, I reported it in the beta, got no comments so far.  It is simply not expected behavior, as far as I am concerned.

Yes, thank you, this is the issue I am experiencing exactly. The notes linked within a table of contents should not have to all have the same tag in order to be able to follow those links. This does work properly only if you are not viewing the note within a note panel. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

the filter should be disabled

Must be a Windows feature

I have no problem switching to linked notes outside the filter

• On my Mac, the filter is disabled and replaced with a notebook filter of the linked note
  • On my iPad, the filter is not disabled, but the linked note is still displayed in the note panel
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Not happening for me in Windows...  I searched for one note by tag and found that note.  The note contains a link to another note.  I click the link and Evernote displays the linked note.  The search information summary correctly shows "matching all of the following: tagged with <tag>" after the first search,  and that message disappears when I click the link.  Can't see any options which  might change that behaviour.  This is the latest public version 6.21.2

On 9/29/2019 at 10:10 AM, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Not happening for me in Windows...  I searched for one note by tag and found that note.  The note contains a link to another note.  I click the link and Evernote displays the linked note.  The search information summary correctly shows "matching all of the following: tagged with <tag>" after the first search,  and that message disappears when I click the link.  Can't see any options which  might change that behaviour.  This is the latest public version 6.21.2

Hi, did you try it only once?  I have found that under some circumstances with different notes it may also works correctly for me, but I have not been able to determine the difference between working and not working.  Same EN version.

• Level 5*
On 9/28/2019 at 6:49 PM, Adil_S said:

This does work properly only if you are not viewing the note within a note panel. 

I don't understand this bit, sorry.  Not viewing a note within a note panel means what exactly?

IAC, I can't repeat this either.  Tried a tag search and click on a link, it went to the target note and context changed to All notes.  Opened the note in its own window and clicked the link and the note appears in the stand alone window and context stays the same in the main window.  Drug the tag into shortcuts, same result.  Removed the tags from the target note, same result.  Must be some condition I'm not using.  🤷‍♂️

I ran Optimize Database & Fix Selected Notes with all notes selected.  Had no effect on the reported behavior, but I did notice some unique behaviors: 

In one tag search, it neither followed the link, nor did it display any notes of the tag search,, the note list and note view were both empty. 

In another tag search, clicking on the same link showed a completely different note, not the linked one.

From this I assumed either a corrupted note or a corrupted link, so I replaced both by recreating the note and link and deleting the old ones.  Same results as above.

Finally, I assumed the dashboard note maybe corrupted, so I pasted the link to a new note, added the same tags I tested above.  Same result.

This affects too many tags to assume they are all corrupted.

6:21.2 GA

EDIT: Uninstalling and reinstalling the program had no effect on the behavior. 

Going back to 6.20 fixed the problem, returning to 6.21 brought it back.  In contact with support about this.  So far they have confirmed what I reported., said they are working on it.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Hi, did you try it only once?  I have found that under some circumstances with different notes it may also works correctly for me, but I have not been able to determine the difference between working and not working.  Same EN version.

Tried a variety of notes,  but the jump to the linked note still seems to be working correctly... 🤔

• Like 2