Due to limited holiday staffing, chat will be unavailable from Thursday, July 2 at 5:30 PM (CDT) to Monday, July 13 at 8 AM (CDT). This will allow us to reply to your email requests as quickly as possible. Thank you for understanding. ×
PanteR

Can I protect single note by password?

Evernote only supports encryption for text selected within a note; not at the note or notebook  level.

I  make use of the native encryption in attachments; PDFs, Office/iWork documents, ...

It's a pity. :( I want to protect personal notes. But I won't use office.

I have encrypted quite a few individual notes. I use them for saving serial numbers, passwords, customer passwords, personal information, and so on.

An earlier respondent mentioned that you can only encrypt text within a note. So I encrypt ALL the text within the note. That accomplishes the same thing as encrypting the note itself.

Hope that helps.  ...pt

On 9/24/2018 at 11:37 PM, PhilipTobias said:

I have encrypted quite a few individual notes. I use them for saving serial numbers, passwords, customer passwords, personal information, and so on.

An earlier respondent mentioned that you can only encrypt text within a note. So I encrypt ALL the text within the note. That accomplishes the same thing as encrypting the note itself.

Hope that helps.  ...pt

Be careful: Evernote is "vulnerable" for this scenario:

- Create a new note

- Type your secret text

- (in the  background the note is synced)

- Encrypt the text

- Go to note history

- Whoops, here is your un-encrypted secret text again  

3 minutes ago, Rob van Vliet said:

(in the  background the note is synced)

Good point.  I wouldn't do encryption in a sync'd notebook.  Use a Local Notebook or work external to Evernote.

2 hours ago, Rob van Vliet said:

Be careful: Evernote is "vulnerable" for this scenario:

- Create a new note

- Type your secret text

- (in the  background the note is synced)

- Encrypt the text

- Go to note history

- Whoops, here is your un-encrypted secret text again  

This vulnerability can occur but I don't think it is as likely as you are suggesting.  As I recall, the backup that is used for note history is somewhat random but I believe occurs about every 8 hours.  Not everything you type will get saved to note history.  As I understand it, if you make 10 changes to your note before the next backup occurs, only the last version is saved.  This is not like a document versioning backup, just a snapshot of your note's content taken roughly 3x/day.  For what you describe to happen, a note would need to be sync'd and a backup to occur before you encrypt the note.  Possible, but maybe not that likely, again, as I understand it, though I do recall post's where folks have reported this happening.  That said, I would like to see EN implement true zero knowledge note and notebook level encryption.

I don't care so much about the mentioned vulnerability, but the current encryption solution is unusable for me, since I am not able to encrypt text that includes bullet points or hyperlinks, which most of my notes (including those that are sensitive) do.

My concern is primarily avoiding that a sensitive note pops up in a search in a professional setting and I am really disappointed that Evernote makes this practically impossible.

To avoid the specific problem you mention, you might tag sensitive notes with a tag like "sensitive" or "nosearch" or whatever, and then when you do a search in a professional setting, put "-tag:nosearch" at the end. That will keep those notes from appearing; and assuming what you're doing is interesting enough, your colleagues wouldn't spend much time wondering what tag:nosearch was about.

On 5/28/2020 at 10:10 AM, Notaker said:

My concern is primarily avoiding that a sensitive note pops up in a search in a professional setting and I am really disappointed that Evernote makes this practically impossible.

Would it not be better to separate those sensitive notes entirely?

You can either use a different EN a/c for that or use a completely separate app like Simple Note/Nimbus Note/One Note etc.

1 hour ago, Vidalia said:

Would it not be better to separate those sensitive notes entirely?

Maybe, but I don't want to complicate my data storage  

I'm satisfied with an easy encryption strategy   
also a "sensitive" tag to exclude notes from searches

On 5/28/2020 at 5:10 AM, Notaker said:

My concern is primarily avoiding that a sensitive note pops up in a search in a professional setting

Some manage this by using separate EN accounts.  I keep everything in one account but I have setup a work stack and a home stack and then have two saved searches, one to search only home and another to search only work.  If I’m in a sensitive setting I’ll click on the work saved search first and then drill down from there.