Account been hacked? Help!

• Level 5

… whatever good it will do now. Throwing rocks into the well after the child has drowned is mainly symbolic.

In general nothing of direct value like passwords, login data or crypto wallet keys should be kept inside of EN. To be hacked still takes another additional mistake, like using the same password for several services, not activating 2FA or similar.

Store confidential information only in places that are build to protect such information. For some even a piece of paper may not be the worst alternative - at least it is hard to steal from Indonesia (or from wherever the real endpoint of this connection was) through the internet using stolen account login data.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote may be panicking users unnecessarily sometimes too - I was told my account had been accessed from an Indonesian IP address a couple of days ago.  The IP address was strangely familiar - I checked via https://whatismyipaddress.com/ and it turned out that IP address was me.  Connecting through NordVPN and a server in the UK.  ^_^

• Level 5

Well, what the VPN services sometimes do to load balance their network is amazing 😉  I think in such a case I prefer to get a notice, rather than not being informed.

Maybe I should give it a try myself, to see if a strange geolocation pulls the trigger as well.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

HI

I also have had unauthorised access from IPs in Spain. Hard to believe, but I have changed my password and enabled the 2FA.

THe question is: Can I see if they saved any of my notes or which notes were viewed. Any chance this is a false positive? My password was really strong.

Thanks

Louis

• Level 5*
On 12/30/2023 at 11:03 AM, LouisMos said:

HI

I also have had unauthorised access from IPs in Spain. Hard to believe, but I have changed my password and enabled the 2FA.

THe question is: Can I see if they saved any of my notes or which notes were viewed. Any chance this is a false positive? My password was really strong.

Thanks

Louis

Hi.  You've done what you can.  Did you check to see what your own IP was at the time?  The geography of some of these things is pretty terrible.

As to access and usage - if there was access it would have seem like you were accessing your own account.  You could check to see what you did around the same time,  and whether all the actions are familiar,  but there's no way to clearly flag bad actions as such.  If Evernote themselves detect access attempts you will get an email from them - and I've had the password to my own test account reset by them because it was being accessed after a long break...

If you use 2FA and a good password,  you're as secure as you can get...

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, gazumped said:

If you use 2FA and a good password,  you're as secure as you can get...

Until they add in zero knowledge notebook encryption.  

It is a new year ... one can wish.