Default Tags for notes in a folder

komikill

Idea

Hi guys,

I find it annoying having to add a multitude of tags to notes that will always pertain to notes in that folder.

So every note that I make in that folder I have to go through and add the 8 tags

Is there a way or can you develop an option to add tags to a folder, so that when a note is opened, these tags are applied by default.  And I then only need to add extra tags as I see fit.

Please let me know if this is already possible.

Thanks

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. 

Create a new 'template' note in the correct folder and with the correct tags.  Save and sync the note.  Then export it to ENEX and store the file in a folder on your desktop.  Check the export options to export tags.

Next time you need to create a new note in that notebook,  click the ENEX file in the desktop folder.  A correctly tagged new blank note in the assigned notebook will open.

(It's also possible to put the ENEX file into a 'templates' note in Evernote and do the same from there.)

- You can do something similar by creating the template and just duplicating or copying the note,  but I prefer the ENEX method.

See also: Tools: Templates

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, komikill said:

I find it annoying having to add a multitude of tags to notes

As per @gazumped, templates are a good solution for new notes.  I actually prefer the duplicate note method

Another solution is to use a scripting program to automate the tag insertion steps

• Level 5*

You may want to think about your tagging strategy if all notes in a folder have the same tags.  Not sure in the long run you will get the leverage in searching from such a set up.

I agree with @CalS . You might want to rethink your problem to see if it is worth solving in the first place. If I have a notebook called "Reference" and then I am tagging every note in it as "Reference", I would not get a lot of value and benefit with that tagging/notebook system.

Of course, everybody's system is different and have their own reasons for doing things so don't see it as judging or anything like that. Just recommending re-thinking your setup and how much value you are getting out of it vs. alternates.

• Level 5*

The only value that I know of for tagging every note in a notebook with the notebook's name (and not tagging any other note in your collection with that tag) is to get around a couple of Evernote language restrictions with respect to notebook terms:

Multiple notebook terms: You can't have a search of notebook:A notebook:B any: sometext (find  the literal term "sometext" in either of notebooks A or B), but you can have a search of any: tag:A tag:B sometext (find  the literal term "sometext" in any notes tagged with either "A" or "B")

Notebook restriction:  You can't have a search of -notebook:A sometext (find  the literal term "sometext" in any notebook except notebook A), but you can have a search of  tag:A sometext (find  the literal term "sometext" in any notes not tagged with "A")

I can kinda sorta understand why you might want all notes in a particular notebook all using an identical set of tags, so long as the workflow allows that those tags can be used in other notebooks (I assume in different combinations). Otherwise (all notes in the notebook have the same tag set, and those tags are not used in other notebooks), a single tag would do, or perhaps none if you can get away with just using notebook search. Or, and this is stretching it, if you were implementing some kind of synonym sceme, where tag A means the same thing as tag B in your tag language (this was discussed elsewhere in the forums, with respect to chemical names vs their abbreviations, I think).

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, jefito said:

The only value that I know of for tagging every note in a notebook with the notebook's name

The OP is actually adding 8 tags; not just the notebook name.

• I understand wanting to have multiple contexts to the notes
  • not clear why the notebook is even required - there could be reasons (sync-local, share, offline)
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The OP is actually adding 8 tags; not just the notebook name.

It gets around the other restriction; notes can only have one notebook assignment

That bit was pertinent to @TK0047 comment (""If I have a notebook called "Reference" and then I am tagging every note in it as "Reference"). There is a use case for having all notes in a notebook tagged with the notebook's name. It's a little obscure, though.

The other bit was pertinent to the original poster's usage of an identical set of tags (plus perhaps others) for every tag in a notebook. If you can use those tags in other notebooks, then that's a valid use case, and what tags are really good at (categorization across multiple notebooks).

Archived