I can't append to a specific note in Evernote

I have been using Evernote for a long time. I always use it with Drafts and IFTTT.

For example. When I add a note in Instapaper, IFTTT will automatically sync the notes to Evernote.The note should be appended to the specific note.But now Evernote create new notes every time.I don't know why. It just occurs yesterday.

IFTTT is directly connected to Evernote cloud service.So it shouldn't because of the client. My Evernote for iOS and Evernote for Mac are both latest versions.

It's not because of the note seize(>2M),it just establish a new note every time. I have tried to replace Evernote with Dropbox in the IFTTT applet and it works well. So it shouldn‘t be the problem of IFTTT. Also,Evernote went wrong with my Drafts App too. It establishes a new note every time when it should append to the old one.

It seems to be a common problem(I've tried with my other Evernote accounts too).And my friend has the same problem too.

So what's wrong with Evernote? Is it the problem of API? Do you have th same problem? How can I solve it?

:Users:szcdesign:Downloads:IMG_0761.jpg

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, szcdesign said:

IFTTT is directly connected to Evernote cloud service.So it shouldn't because of the client. My Evernote for iOS and Evernote for Mac are both latest versions.

IFTTT uses the Evernote API. If it used to work, it still should, unless something changed with the API. Have you tried asking IFTTT about this?

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, szcdesign said:

The note should be appended to the specific note.But now Evernote create new notes every time.

The update is to a specific notebook/note.  Is the notebook valid?

I have a note updated by IFTTT with the weather each morning at 7am
The append works fine

• 3 months later...

Did you find a way to resolve this? I've re-created, re-authorized, turned off/on the applet and still cannot get ifttt to append from instapaper highlights (same title)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am here with the same problem.  My IFTTT triggered 3 times, and I ended up with 3 individual notes with all the same title.

I also want to ask, who is ultimately responsible for the IFTTT/Evernote interface? Is it IFTTT or Evernote?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, MortimerCat said:

I am here with the same problem.  My IFTTT triggered 3 times, and I ended up with 3 individual notes with all the same title.

I also want to ask, who is ultimately responsible for the IFTTT/Evernote interface? Is it IFTTT or Evernote?

To answer your second question first,  I'd guess whomever created the IFTTT recipe used a method that depended somehow on a trigger to append rather than create new which Evernote no longer maybe recognises.  It's a problem with integrations:  sooner or later one side or the other changes the rules,  and until everyone catches up,  there are issues.  Meantime a new recipe may be required.

Mind you,  if you've been appending to that note for a while (and depending on the content and your account level),  you may have exceeded the note size so that appending is no longer an option...

Note size limits (per) What are the system limits of Evernote?

• 25 MB (Basic)
  • 50 MB (Plus*)
  • 200 MB (Premium and Business)

Note: 64-bit systems are recommended for uploading large attachments in Windows.

IMHO it's always better to use lots of small notes than one big one anyway - created dates will give you a timeline,  and a standard tag or title will make them easy to find,  especially with a saved search.  Just sayin'  ;) 

If you are a subscriber you can get more direct help - the Support team is available on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new, or https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if that link won't work for you. 

To help future people searching for Evernote appending.

Lesson 1: Have a note in place ready to accept the incoming messages for appending.

I did not have a note already in place to append to, so my trigger created  a new note. This is not a problem except that I had three triggers within seconds of each other.  When my second and third triggers fired, the Note had not yet been created, therefore Evernote created new notes for these too.

A few days on, my triggers are now happily appending to my single Evernote.

Lesson 2: Having liaised with another service provider, I am a bit more aware of the role of Evernote.

My understanding - Evernote provide (and support) the specific services available to IFTTT - currently two triggers (New note in a notebook, Add a specific tag to note) and six actions (Create a note, Append to note, Append a to-do note, Create a link note, Create image note from URL, Create an audio note from URL).  IFTTT are responsible for implementing the services correctly when they create their interface to the service.  Unfortunately, it is not always easy to establish which side a problem may be.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Wondering if anyone else is still having trouble with this?

Even when I create a new note with the article title, either by sharing to Evernote from Instapaper, or by using an IFTTT trigger (i.e. add a new note when the article is "liked" in Instapaper), highlights still fail to append. Instead, I am still left with multiple notes: one original and multiple for each individual highlight, all with the same title.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 2/22/2019 at 9:53 PM, Friar_Tuck said:

highlights still fail to append.

Hi.  Depending on which client you are using it should be easy to merge the notes into one - but to be clear:  are you highlighting a block of text and "appending" highlighted sections of the same text,  or are you highlighting various portions of a long block and 1) creating a main note and 2) appending additional text?

• 1 year later...