shortcut to create note with tags

hi id like a shorcut to create notes with predefined tags . For example id like a shortcut from my work pc to always create notes tagged as WORK . 

I found the shorcut to create notes 

Evernote.exe /Newnote

but cannot add tags like 

Evernote.exe /Newnote /t:WRK

..any idea ? 

• Level 5*

You could look into the ENScript command-line program that ships with Evernote:: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php#enscript, specifically the 'createNote' command.You'll need to do a little work to figure out how to trigger that from a shortcut, and how to add the note content ('createNote' creates note content based on either a file you pass it, or from standard input onthe command line.

You might also want to look into the AutoHotKey or PhraseExpress products.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, ruudhein said:

A workaround is this:

• In options → note → enable Assign selected tags to note
  • ctrl select the tags you want
  • when you create a new note, these tags will be assigned

I believe this will assign only the tags in the current search.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, fabertel said:

hi id like a shorcut to create notes with predefined tags . For example id like a shortcut from my work pc to always create notes tagged as WORK

I've addressed this in my workflow using templates for new notes
Evernote could handle templates better but a simple example is to use the Duplicate Note feature.
On my Mac, I have a New Note script

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, fabertel said:

thanks everyone  . DTLow im not sure i got your answer :)

Which part?
I have various notes set up as Templates for new notes; this could be a blank note with predefined tags, for example a Work Template
My New Note workflow is to select from my template list
I mentioned the Duplicate Note feature, but it might not be available on the Windows platform

• Level 5*
On 28/12/2017 at 4:18 PM, DTLow said:

I mentioned the Duplicate Note feature, but it might not be available on the Windows platform

Yup - we got this.

I have a few note templates with pre-assigned notebooks and tags,  exported as ENEX files to my desktop.  If I need a new note in that format,  a quick double-tap on the icon generates my new ready-formatted blank note.

• Level 5*
On 12/28/2017 at 11:18 AM, DTLow said:

Duplicate Note is indeed available on the Windows client.

• Level 5*

One thing I'm always using,  but forgetting to mention - to set up several tags in one note,  just keep typing:  the string "tag1,tag2,tag3,tag4" will magically split into 4 tags when entered (or copied) into any tag field.  To keep myself consistent I have one note that is a list of standard titles and tag selections (and Twitter hashtags...) assigned to groups of notes.  Saves me a lot of typing...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

One thing I'm always using,  but forgetting to mention - to set up several tags in one note,  just keep typing:  the string "tag1,tag2,tag3,tag4" will magically split into 4 tags when entered (or copied) into any tag field.  To keep myself consistent I have one note that is a list of standard titles and tag selections (and Twitter hashtags...) assigned to groups of notes.  Saves me a lot of typing...

Nice tip, seemed to when when I tried a small test.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 10:41 AM, DTLow said:

I've addressed this in my workflow using templates for new notes
Evernote could handle templates better but a simple example is to use the Duplicate Note feature.
On my Mac, I have a New Note script

How is this done to accomplish OPs goal? (I'm trying to do the same)

The closest I've come to is to pass an exported ENEX to Evernote.exe via shortcut but that does not actually open the note like "...\Evernote.exe" /NewNote does.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, McflyE said:

How is this done to accomplish OPs goal? (I'm trying to do the same)

The closest I've come to is to pass an exported ENEX to Evernote.exe via shortcut but that does not actually open the note like "...\Evernote.exe" /NewNote does.

I'd have a Work Template with tag WORK
Using the Duplicate Note feature (Mac), I'd have a new note to work with, with the correct tag

The .enex export also works well.  

• Create a folder of templates (.enex files)
  • Doubleclicking the .enex file will create a new note in Evernote
  • Level 5*

Yeah, double clicking from the desktop is the quickest way I have found to create a note with certain characteristics.  One thing to remember is the double clicking puts the note in your default notebook. 

I have a phone call template I use a lot so I went so far as to create a PhraseExpress hotkey that does the double clicking and navigates to the time stamp cell in the table in the newly created note.  It is quick.

Archived