Excel Version Control - Uploading excel into Evernote - is it possible to save different versions?

Hi All

I just had a question in relation to saving excel documents into Evernote. 

As I understand it - you can drag and drop an excel document into Evernote, open it from there, edit and save and all the changes will be saved.

However, is it possible to save a new version of the excel into the same note?

The reason I ask is because I tend to update my spreadsheets daily and get into the habit of saving a new version every time I make a big update/change in case I need to reverse it earlier.

i.e. i might start off with Work v1, save it as Work v2, Work v3 each morning. That way i can track changes and go back to an older version of the excel in case I make a mistake or change that I did not want.

Essentially, it is my way of using "undo" when the actions have been performed from days or even weeks before etc.

Is there an easy way to do this in Evernote? At the moment, I have to save the daily version onto my desktop, and then drag it back into the note as a separate attachment.

Any help on this would be much appreciated!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I think the way you already know about is the only way there is..  If you 'Save As' your spreadsheet to create a new file,  it won't be automatically loaded back into the note when you close the file down.  Unless you save it to your desktop,  the new file will wind up orphaned in C:\Users\<user>\Evernote\Databases\Attachments totally disconnected from the original note.  A spreadsheet app might remember where the file went,  but Evernote will not.  Virtually your only option is to save to the desktop and then drag and drop back into the note.

You might be able to work something with Dropbox,  which records it's own version history - open the file via a link from your note to DB,  then save back to the same file name.  Work v1 can be stepped back to its content yesterday by looking at the file history in DB.  No saves to Evernote involved.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, tonic1 said:

The reason I ask is because I tend to update my spreadsheets daily and get into the habit of saving a new version every time I make a big update/change in case I need to reverse it earlier.

I’d use the duplicate note function so the previous version is saved as a separate note

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

You might be able to work something with Dropbox,  which records it's own version history - open the file via a link from your note to DB,  then save back to the same file name.  Work v1 can be stepped back to its content yesterday by looking at the file history in DB.  No saves to Evernote involved.

@tonic1

A slight modification to @gazumped's suggestion.  Create the link to your local copy of the spreadsheet, not to the DB cloud one.  That way you don't have to download the spreadsheet when you open it.  With this method you you can get multiple backups a day if you edit and save the file multiple times.  Downside to this method is that the file is not searchable in EN.

• Level 5
On 7/18/2017 at 0:52 AM, tonic1 said:

i.e. i might start off with Work v1, save it as Work v2, Work v3 each morning. That way i can track changes and go back to an older version of the excel in case I make a mistake or change that I did not want.

You might want to consider making a new note for each version of the spreadsheet. You could give each note a distinctive title (e.g., include the date). This might minimize confusion and the likelihood of an overwrite. @DTLow's suggestion of duplicating the note to revise the attached spreadsheet would work the same way.

BTW, WRT "in case I need to reverse it earlier" ... any chance you could share your trick for doing that? ;) I can think of sooo many times I've wanted to go back earlier and reverse something. :blush:

Archived