Unused Tags automatically removed

I have created some tags and applied them to various notes.  When I remove a tag from the last note the tag is automatically deleted.  Is there a way to change this behavior?   I would like to keep the tags around for future use.

Thanks,

Brad

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Brad Miller said:

I would like to keep the tags around for future use.

It might be a Windows thing but I’ve not experienced automatic tag deletion.

Can you confirm the tags are really deleted.  I see tag lists for search that only display active tags

I'm not quite sure what you mean by really deleted.  

If I create a new tag in the New Tags window and assign it to a Note it shows up on the note, in the New Tags window and in the Tags on the left side navigation.

If I subsequently remove this tag from the note, it disappears in all these places and is not available to assign to a new note.

If I create a new tag but don't assign it to a note it also disappears.

Hide Unassigned Tags is not checked.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I'm with @DTLow - I have an embarrassing number of unassigned tags,  and automatically deleting them sounds like a good option to have;  but I've never seen this in all the versions of Evernote Windows that I've used to date (now on beta 6.6.2).

I'd suggest you start off by restarting everything,  and if that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote (no big deal in Windows,  unless you have local notes)

If the problem persists,  reach out to Support directly if you're a paying customer on https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new or tweet them if not via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• Level 5

The Deleted Tag bug happens to me.

I have two Evernote accounts. A general account and a politics account. Each month, I move any political notes from the general account to the politics account. (export using .enex). After the notes, metadata and tags are copied properly. I delete the notes from my general account.

But if one of the political issues returns in the following month, the unused tag (voter-fraud for example) in the general account is missing. 

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, Brad Miller said:

If I create a new tag in the New Tags window and assign it to a Note it shows up on the note, in the New Tags window and in the Tags on the left side navigation.

If I subsequently remove this tag from the note, it disappears in all these places and is not available to assign to a new note.

If I create a new tag but don't assign it to a note it also disappears.

Hide Unassigned Tags is not checked.

First off, what is the version number of Evernote that you're using?

Ok. So are you talking about the "Assign Tags" dialog? That's the only place that I see a "Hide unassigned tags" option (and its setting is only relevant to that dialog; it's not a global setting).  I don't see any "New Tags" window, unless you're referring to the Tags pane (click on the Tags item in the left pane, or use Ctrl+Shift+T). How do you get to the "New Tags" window? Can we assume that you are dealing with only one account when you see this (unlike @jbenson2 's case,, which I believe is different -- it's certainly a different use case).

Anyways, I am unable to replicate the behavior that you report. I add a new tag, say "abracadabra", to a note using "Assign Tags" or by just adding it in the note header. It appears in all of the usual places. I remove it from the note, but the tag remains in all of the usual places (tag list, tag pane, typeahead lists when adding a tag to a note, etc.).

I have version 6.5.4.4720 (304720) Public.  I recently upgraded from Evernote Premium to Evernote Business.  I have used Evernote extensively for about a year, but did not make use of tags.

Yes, this would be the Assign Tags dialog.  It's Ctrl-Alt-T from a selected Note or there is a little window above the note which says "Add Tag..."

However I just discovered this behavior only happens on the Business tab.  Tags are not automatically deleted if I create and use them from the Personal tab. There I had to manually delete them.  So that would explain why many of you are having trouble replicating the behavior.

Archived