Notes not available and memory killer

dhwolfer@yahoo.com

I have been using Evernote on an I-pod now for several years. I never had any problem accessing anything in my account as long as I had my WiFi connection. Unless I upgraded from free account to the middle paid account, then I could have EN actually down load all my notes and have them offline. However, now I have purchased an Android phone. I keep my Data setting turned off so there is no constant connection using my phone which quickly burns up all my minutes. I still have my WiFi turned on which costs nothing, but EN says I have to upgrade to get my notes available while off line. I am not off line. I am connected through WiFi which from my understanding means as long as I am connected by my WiFi I should be able to access anything on my online account but that I would lose it when I went away from my WiFi signal. However, according to EN on my new Android phone it says I have to be online. I am online at home on my WiFi network. So what is going on?
Second, many applications make it so that I can install the program to my SD Card so I can have plenty of room left on my phone. My phone has only about 3 Gigabytes left on the main portion of the phone even though it is supposed to have 8gig to start with. By the time the OS and everything it needs loads I am down to under 4gig. That is why it is so important to be able to load it to my external MicroSDCard. I know that even then there is at least a stub that has to load on the main ram but at least that would be all that is there. By the time I load EN to my system I have used up 90% of available memory. And that does not consider I have not loaded any of the Data I have on my main account that still needs to be synced with EN on my Android.

I would go ahead and purchase the next level of EN right not but I cannot use it on my phone after all the Data is installed. So please make it so that the majority of EN loads to the Micro SDCard and make it so the Data is stored there as well.
Thank you very much.

David Wolfer

dhwolfer@yahoo.com

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, dhwolfer@yahoo.com said:

However, according to EN on my new Android phone it says I have to be online. I am online at home on my WiFi network. So what is going on?

Could you post a screen shot of where Evernote is saying you have to be online even when you're connected by wifi

I have successfully used Evernote on my mobile devices

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, dhwolfer@yahoo.com said:

I am online at home on my WiFi network.

If you are connected to the Internet you should be able to access your notes.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Wifi access is fine for me,  but I'm a premium subscriber anyway.  As already requested - can you let us have a screenshot of Evernote's message?  Are you getting this when you try to open a note from the main app window?

None of Evernote's mobile apps save notes to the local device by default,  though you can mark some notebooks for 'offline searching' - and if that's what's generating the error message,  then it is quite correct to do so.  Offline searchable notes are a paying subscriber option.  On a wifi connection though you should be able to tap a note to see the content - though it will have to be downloaded over wifi,  so may take a few seconds to appear.

I have some 'offline' notes,  though due to limitations on how much storage I can use,  it's one small notebook where I rotate notes in and out as I need them offline.  I don't see any benefit to risking all my notes in one small conveniently stealable package in case a senior moment means I leave it unattended somewhere...

• Level 5*

Yep,  pretty much what I said.  To download notes to your phone,  so that they are available for searching when you're away from a wifi connection,  requires a paid subscription.  Just tapping on the note to open the details via Wifi,  should still be working while you are in range.  Like the image says 'to access notes without an internet connection'.

• Level 5*
On 2017-07-07 at 오전 7시 57분, dhwolfer@yahoo.com said:

I double checked to make sure WiFi was still on and Data was off.

Not sure what "Data was off" means

Are we looking at an advertisement for Evernote Plus?  I would just click on "Not Now" and carry on

On phones they allow you to turn off your your data which is transferred through your phone subscription account. However, they then force any access to go only through WiFi so you do not incur used minutes against your phone account. I have data turned off to force the use of WiFi on my phone. In this mode I can surf the web without using any of my phone minutes.
Yes my WiFi is still turned on and I can access the web with no problems. The only problem I am having is EverNote does not see me using WiFi but every other application I use that accesses the internet has no problems at all. Besides that I am sitting here in my living room right next to my WiFi modem with a good signal. So in reality, EverNote should be allowing access to all my notes because I am connected through WiFi.

gazumped

I know all that. I have been a user of EverNote now for several years. The only difference now is I have switched from using an Apple I-pod to using a Samsung cell phone. The I-pod cannot make phone calls and can only access the web through WiFi. On the phone though it can access the web either through the phone service being used by the phone or by WiFi. If you turn on your data it uses the phone account which allows connection to the web without having a WiFi signal and still uses this account even when WiFi is available. So in order not to incur phone costs when a WiFi signal is available then one needs to turn their data off. That is the situation I am in now. I live in the boonies and have no cell phone signal at all. However, I do have WiFi in my home and I use this to access the internet with all my devices, including my Roku, laptop, cell phones and my I-pod. Hope this helps you understand what it going on. Evernote for some reason sees the cell data is turned off and thinks I am off line. This is in spite of being totally connected through WiFi.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, dhwolfer@yahoo.com said:

EverNote does not see me using WiFi

You're basing this on some adverising Evernote displayed for upgrading to a paid account
Just click on "not now" to bypass the advertising screen

If that screen is an add, it is very misleading. When you look at the wording on the bottom it says unavailable. The whole gist of the screen seems to say this is not available and I need to upgrade to get it off line. This was displayed every time I tried to access this folder.

Now having said that, Evernote this morning is behaving just as it always has while I was using my I-pod. It is no longer displaying this screen when I try to access my notebooks.

So I guess what you are saying, that this screen was an add must have been true in spite of the fact it was not allowing me to access this particular note book. I can now access all my notebooks even though nothing had changed between yesterday and today?

Thanks everyone for responding to my issue. I really appreciate that. Everything is great now. Thanks again,

Dave

• Level 5*

Must have been something else then.  What is confusing about "Download notebooks to access notes without an Internet connection."?  Should the without be in bold face?

ScreenClip.png.1f3d1d359359ab7f20d4efb329dd6b6c.png

Actually what was so confusing about it is the line on the bottom of the top section that states: "Not available off line 25KB" This makes it look like that notebook is not available. Yes it is an add but it seems to be saying. "You do not have access to this notebook but if you want to have access off line then upgrade."  Knowing that I had WiFi access would tell me the pages is saying, "Evernote detects that you are not online so you cannot access this notebook but if you upgrade you can access it all the time.
They could change it to say something along the lines of, "You can access this notebook now because you are on line. However, if you want to be able to access it even when you are offline then upgrade. If you want to upgrade click here. If you want continue on to your notebook, click here."

That would tell me the notebook is not being blocked and I can continue just by clicking the continue button.

• Level 5*

@dhwolfer@yahoo.com

I missed the "Not aval....." bit.  Oops.  Was that part of the ad message or something behind it?  I use an iPhone so not familiar with the screen.

IAC, hopefully EN reads this and adjusts to make it clearer that it is an ad promoting offline notebooks should one want access to notes without an Internet connection.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, dhwolfer@yahoo.com said:

It was part of the message. Every time it came up that wording was still there.

Interesting, it looks like it is behind the ad.  Anyway, mostly sorted now i suppose.

Actually, If Evernote makes it so that their program will load in extended memory I will purchase the higher level. However, it is such a memory hog I cannot do that on my measly little Samsung phone. Why don't programmers realize their program is not the only program people want to run on our devices? EN loads the whole program into main memory. After loading EN it knocks my memory down and I keep getting messages telling me I am running low on memory. I had been involved with designing programs for over twenty years and I know they can write it so the lions share of the program can be loaded and run from the extended memory. All they have to do is create a stub that runs from the main memory but then it goes out and runs the actual program from extended memory. Then have the program look to the Extended memory for it's data.
This is not rocket science and I know for a fact it CAN BE DONE!
Why bother writing a program for a device that does not take complete advantage of that devices capabilities? What I am requesting would require such a small change in the program coding that there is absolutely no reason NOT to do it.

csihilling

Yes that part is settled, however, you might want to read my next post.
As far as EN people actually reading this, can you say, "FAT CHANCE." I have read through most of the threads and I have not seen them respond even to simple questions that only they can answer. So I am not holding my breath, I will not upgrade until they fix the memory problem. Why upgrade when the main reason to upgrade is to have the notebooks available off line but then the data will not load into my Micro SD Card and immediately fills what is left on my on board memory? What is the advantage of that?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, dhwolfer@yahoo.com said:

csihilling

Yes that part is settled, however, you might want to read my next post.
As far as EN people actually reading this, can you say, "FAT CHANCE." I have read through most of the threads and I have not seen them respond even to simple questions that only they can answer. So I am not holding my breath, I will not upgrade until they fix the memory problem. Why upgrade when the main reason to upgrade is to have the notebooks available off line but then the data will not load into my Micro SD Card and immediately fills what is left on my on board memory? What is the advantage of that?

I don't think the EN program on the iPhone eats that much memory.  Relative to notes, I guess they will eat as much storage on the phone as they do on my PC.  I have plenty of storage available on the Phone but I hardly use offline notebooks.  I could put all 15GB on the phone, but why I ask myself.  

I am so seldom without a WiFi connection between work, home, and hot spots that offline notebooks just don't make that much difference to me.  I have one notebook designated offline and anytime I am knowingly going to be at risk of being without a connection I will move key notes there.  Doesn't work for everyone for sure.  

You are correct. It does not work for everyone. I live out in the booies and do not have either a WiFi signal nor a phone signal. So if I do not have all my notes downloaded on my phone then I just do not have them at all. Apple phone provide a whole lot more base memory than Samsung phones or Android phones do. That is why Android pushes the Micro SD Card. But that does not help if the application programmers do not switch mind set to Samsung while programming. They seem to be locked in to Apple and program everything just like they would on an Apple.
HERE IS A NEWS BULLETIN FOR ALL YOU PROGRAMMERS OUT THERE. APPLE IS NOT THE SAME AS ANDROID. PLEASE PROGRAM ACCORDINGLY.

• Level 5*

OK - Android user here:  according to my Applications Manager,  Evernote used around 23MB of my phone's memory in the past 3 hours (when I've been searching and typing).  In the same period Facebook used 267MB and Firefox hit 122MB in the same period,  so it doesn't seem too extreme on memory use...

And elsewhere in the forums you'll find some threads on using the SD card for storage.  Evernote does (I think) have some temporary storage there,  but without rooting the phone there's some argument that there is an (Android) OS-driven restriction against storing anything but media files on the SD card.  I don't follow the politics or the tech details,  but it would appear that it ain't easy,  therefore it hasn't been attempted yet.

Plus in terms of security I'm not sure I'd want the sole repository of my data files to be an SD card - I'm currently on the 3rd card in the current phone after the previous contenders decided to become 'unreadable'.

Actually, it is no big deal for a programmer to make it so a program can be run from a stub on the main phone. This was done clear back in the early days of MS DOS. As far as security is concerned, as long as the program stores it's data in a encrypted format then it is safe. If the program does not store it in an encrypted format on the phone then the phone is every bit as compromiseable as an SD Card. As far as an SD Card is concerned, I have done a deep study to find out the truth about them. It turns out there are thousands of non-name brand cards that have been purchased by a fly by night outfit only to reformat it and rebrand the ink on the outside to make it look like a big Miro SD card. This makes them very easy to break. The program is trying to use portions of a card that has already been verified with bad sectors. These can be used for much smaller Micro SD Cards but when they are used for bigger cards they are doomed to fail. From what I have found is the only places you should be buying from are places like Wal-Mart or New Egg or some other company that buys directly from the manufacturer. That is the only way to guarantee to get a good card. Yes you will pay more for it but the peace of mind out weighs the hazard.
Next. There are many companies who write programs that take advantage of the SD card and store their main program there and their data. So this is far from a difficult task. No only has it been attempted it is being done on a regular basis. Having worked in programming for over twenty years I know it is easy to write a stub program that is installed on the main device then have it point to the card to actually load the program. The program then knows to write it's data to the Micro SD Card.
Because of the memory limit, I do not run any of the heavy memory hogs you listed. There is no Android restriction or need to root the device in order to accomplish this only knowing how to be a decent programmer. I guess that is the key. The good programmers are few and far between now so we end up with sloppy code which becomes bloat ware or bugwear.

The whole point is, Samsung and other Android providers constantly put really small amounts of memory on the main phone while allowing for a generous amounts of memory on the Micro SD Cards. There are many companies who know how to and have written their programs to run from the Micro SD Card. So for a corporation the size of EN or FB or Firefox not to take advantage of this shows just plain sloppiness or laziness. Anyway you look at it. if we put up with this junk programming we get what we deserve.

Archived