Evernote Lagging when Typing

I have been using Evernote for 3 years, however in the last month it has gotten extremely slow, with lag when typing, and regular application freezes. 

The program is installed on my SSD, with the sync folder located on the HDD (since I don't have space on the SSD to contain both). However, I still encounter these issues on my desktop (which has the program and files located on a single HDD). The program has been reinstalled a number of times, but the issues still persist. I have also tried to export my notes, and then reimport them. In addition, I have deleted older notes that are excessive in size, however none of these changes have fixed the lag when typing, or the freezes. 

Any advice on how to fix this? Or if not, is there another (preferably free) program similar to Evernote that I can use as an alternative? 

My Laptop Specs: Core i7, GTX1060, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 2TB HDD. 

Desktop Specs: Core i7, GTX1060, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same issue. I keep hold down the "a" key and it will print 5 then stop for a sec, print another 30+- then stop a sec, print another 30+- or so and stop for a sec. Same thing with erasing. There is a lag while typing. I even disabled on demand sync and sync in the background.

I have this issue at home computer (Windows 10) and at work computer (Windows 8) for the last few months already.

And yes the web version is definitely better. Hold down the "a" key and there is no lag printing it.

Same issue. FYI to test it out, I just started typing random characters and found the text would lag every 7 seconds or so. This is insanely annoying. You get an idea, you want to note it, and it chokes for a few seconds. This isn't 1983, I think an app can handle TYPING.

Evernote is not slow. I can do search on the note with pretty decent speed. This is all about typing. It is not responsive.

Open a new note, I type few letters and it pauses few seconds then it continues to print the rest. Same kind of lag when erasing letters.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, EmptyTeaCup said:

This is all about typing. It is not responsive.

Hi.  The 'pausing while typing in the search box' thing is to do with type ahead search.  Change the delay to suit your own typing speed,  or switch it off.  Evernote > Tools > Options > Search.

Opening a new note - there's a point at which Evernote creates the new note,  syncs with the server,  allocates a UID and generally moves the new note into the local and server databases.  Does the intermittent typing continue after the note is set up?

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, EmptyTeaCup said:

Evernote is not slow. I can do search on the note with pretty decent speed. This is all about typing. It is not responsive.

Open a new note, I type few letters and it pauses few seconds then it continues to print the rest. Same kind of lag when erasing letters.

Workaround.  There's a firewall hack that fully stops EN from syncing, see it here.   It sounds more complicated than it is to deploy, but if you follow the directions you can create a firewall rule that prevents EN from syncing, period, full stop.

I modified the process and created a 5 minute full stop rule for those times I know I will be doing extensive editing, the bat file resides on my desktop.  In any case it is easy to turn the rule off when you want to sync no matter the duration of the block.  Until EN addresses this background syncing and its impact this is a reasonably painless way to deal with it.  Kudos to the creator.

• 3 months later...

I've been having this issue ever since I installed Evernote on a new build. And it's been driving me nuts.  My old builds don't seem to have this problem but because they are not my main computer, I only use evernote on them sparingly and hardly ever to make notes, just to consult them... so I can't confirm with certainty if they have it or not.  

Anyway, I might have discovered another workaround and seeing as this issue is still not fixed considering it's been showing up for quite a while now, I wanted to share.

I experience the lagging when I'm making a new note.  

What I've done is create a new note with maybe a few words or a name, whatever, as long as it's a note - then close it.  After closing the note, I reopen it edit and add to my hearts content and for some reason I don't have the lagging on it anymore no matter how much I type. 

Maybe it'll work for you. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 6:34 AM, Tebbybabes said:

I've been having this issue ever since I installed Evernote on a new build. And it's been driving me nuts.  My old builds don't seem to have this problem but because they are not my main computer, I only use evernote on them sparingly and hardly ever to make notes, just to consult them... so I can't confirm with certainty if they have it or not.  

Anyway, I might have discovered another workaround and seeing as this issue is still not fixed considering it's been showing up for quite a while now, I wanted to share.

I experience the lagging when I'm making a new note.  

What I've done is create a new note with maybe a few words or a name, whatever, as long as it's a note - then close it.  After closing the note, I reopen it edit and add to my hearts content and for some reason I don't have the lagging on it anymore no matter how much I type. 

Maybe it'll work for you. 

Confirmed, improves it for me too.

Noticed quite severe input lag/delay here and there but not constantly. I realized that it's the new notes which I create on this desktop client which lag (I work on multiple machines.)

Hence, closing the note and letting it sync then continuing work on it helps a lot. Somehow not 100% tho.

Comparison gifs:

New note, not closed

Note, closed once

System:

• Win10
  • i7
  • 16gb ram
  • 1 month later...

Just posting an update.

I've been on an extended period of working just from my laptop and I've discovered that I don't have the lag on it.  Same OS, same version of EN. Dangit, how is this ever going to get fixed. Grrr. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just set up a new desktop, Windows 10, i7, 32 GB and have have Evernote 6.5.4 installed. I found too many feature failures in 6.10 and backed it out. But typing really sucks! The whole purpose of this thing is to be able to make notes. I have not seen anyone from Evernote reply to this. Do they acknowledge the problem? 

• Level 5*
47 minutes ago, dvgibson said:

I just set up a new desktop, Windows 10, i7, 32 GB and have have Evernote 6.5.4 installed. I found too many feature failures in 6.10 and backed it out. But typing really sucks! The whole purpose of this thing is to be able to make notes. I have not seen anyone from Evernote reply to this. Do they acknowledge the problem? 

Evernote do read these forum posts,  but we're a (mainly) user-supported group and they rarely comment on issues like this.  It's also a public forum so hardly the place to discuss system details or share logs.  For direct feedback go to https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if not.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived