Optimizing Keyboard Shortcuts and Workflow

Hi all,

I'm a keyboard guy, and part of that is trying to get my workflow such that I want to get places in as few keystrokes as possible. Evernote doesn't seem to be quite setup or this. I have the "Find in Evernote" shortcut currently set to WIN+SHIFT+F. I would much rather it be something like WIN+SPACE but it won't let me use that. 

When I do the shortcut, the full app opens up and does put me in the search bar. Now, as results are filtered, it would be great if I could just arrow up and down to browse through those notes without having to hit TAB first.. and if I need to change the search I need to SHIFT+TAB before to put focus back to search. Pressing Enter should then open that note in its own window. and simultaneously clear the search. 

Also, hitting ESC any time you are in Evernote should clear search.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Shortcut customization is already a feature request - while Evernote ponder that,  you might like to have a look at text expanders like Phrase Express - you can create your own series of keystrokes to be activated by a key combination.

• Level 5*

As per @gazumped you can set up your own keystrokes outside of EN's five.  You still have to be sure that the combination you want isn't a Windows default or some other app.  Not sure, but I think I recall Win-space having something to do with switching keyboard layouts in the past????  Not sure.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, muzicman82 said:

Also, hitting ESC any time you are in Evernote should clear search.

Hitting find basically clears the search taking you to all notes context.  Esc in the note body takes you to the note list.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Shortcut customization is already a feature request - while Evernote ponder that,  you might like to have a look at text expanders like Phrase Express - you can create your own series of keystrokes to be activated by a key combination.

Or take it up a notch with an automation scripting tool like AutoHotKey. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, tavor said:

I'm submitting a feature request to move the reminder icon 100 pixels to the left of its current position.  :P

Very nice!  Well, as long as it is 100 pixels it is an easy edit.  :D

On 4/22/2017 at 6:10 PM, tavor said:

I'm submitting a feature request to move the reminder icon 100 pixels to the left of its current position.  :P

Your pixels or my pixels? :) (my pixels are much smaller because of hi-dpi and 250% scaling)

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, dconnet said:

Your pixels or my pixels? :) (my pixels are much smaller because of hi-dpi and 250% scaling)

Ha. I was just trolling @csihilling - he(?) and I both use third party tools to provide keyboard access to the Reminders function. He uses PhraseExpress, which requires the user to specify pixel coordinates to access a particular element in a GUI, while I use AutoHotKey, which has image search ability, which is quite a bit more robust than relying on pixel coordinates.

But since you're here, how about Evernote providing keyboard access to the Reminders function? For those who prefer the speed of keyboards over mice, this would be great. And some of us are using EN for not just info storage/retrieval, but also for task management (makes a lot of sense to use one tool for info storage/retrieval and task mgmt) so quick access to the Reminders function is important. Hence some of us resorting to 3rd party tools to provide the keyboard access.

Archived