Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Other

Evernote for N97 Beta Thread (Discontinued)

evernote

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Constantinou

Philip Constantinou

• Title: VP of Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 669 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

Hey folks -
It's been a long time coming but we finally have a beta version of Evernote for Nokia. This version uses the Nokia Web Runtime framework and is targeted at the N97 running S60. We want to work out the kinks before publishing it more broadly. We encourage savvy users to give it a try and provide feedback.

You can download the prerelease version at:

http://www.evernote.... ... seNokiaWRT

This version allows users to create notes and snapshots offline as well as easily access the mobile JavaScript web interface for note searching and browsing.

Please send reports to:nokia-preview@evernote.com
Edited

#2 JayTay

JayTay

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:52 PM

Initial impressions are that it looks good and is going to be better than accessing the mobile site but I do have some concerns:

How do I officially quit it? There's no exit button so I just use the red end button
It's a little sluggish which I guess is due to using the widget framework rather than it being a native application. This is a tad disappointing. It's also jarring to keep OKing all the prompts on startup. Again, a limit of the widget framework.
Does it store notes for offline viewing? I haven't had a chance to try yet but I fear it won't....

#3 pasha

pasha

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

Initial impressions are that it looks good and is going to be better than accessing the mobile site but I do have some concerns:

How do I officially quit it? There's no exit button so I just use the red end button
It's a little sluggish which I guess is due to using the widget framework rather than it being a native application. This is a tad disappointing. It's also jarring to keep OKing all the prompts on startup. Again, a limit of the widget framework.
Does it store notes for offline viewing? I haven't had a chance to try yet but I fear it won't....

I believe the official way of quitting apps on N97 is using the red end button like you did.

The build you tried is expected to be a little sluggish but it should improve in the release candidate. The annoying prompts on startup are indeed a framework limitation, but I believe that you're only prompted once - when you first start the app; and I am hoping that Nokia will improve that in the future.

The app does not store notes for offline viewing at the moment...

#4 JayTay

JayTay

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:59 PM

Most apps also include an exit button as some use the red end button to hide their application instead.

I think apart from some speed enhancements all I'd really want extra is offline note storage.

#5 simon.birkby

simon.birkby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:33 AM

Currently trying this out on an RM-505 N97 running 20.0.019 software, on the UK Vodafone network.

I like it so far: it looks slick, I can see all the detail of all the notes I've created elsewhere using the PC app.

Some questions:
* New notes - new snapshot/new audio don't seem to be functional yet?

Comments:
* WLAN access - doesn't work for me - I can only connect via 3G access on the phone. The access point I use works fine for other net access from the N97?
* Takes a long time to view the images folder to add an image file

/Simon

#6 sajinseethi

sajinseethi

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

hey guys, i have been waiting for a version for 5800, but then today i saw this beta for n97. i was so happy. the app is a lil big in size (may be coz its designed for n97). Anyway, it works well

the first page gives me the option to add text note, snapshot, audio or file. apparently snapshot n audio recording seems not to work. but i still like it. Coz i have a mac and i can now sync my notes and other things well. Its a lil slow, but not a big deal. i think i can use this until an app comes out. thank u evernote ppl.

#7 sajinseethi

sajinseethi

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

if we wanna send bug reports, in which email address do we have to send it ???

#8 Philip Constantinou

Philip Constantinou

• Title: VP of Products
  • 669 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:01 PM

Please send reports to:nokia-preview@evernote.com

#9 sajinseethi

sajinseethi

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

great...thank you..from tomorrow onwards, I shall send..

#10 sajinseethi

sajinseethi

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

one more clarification before sending the report. Iam using the client on nokia 5800 and not n97. but of the phones have same os anyway. But are you looking for bug reports on n97 alone or something ??? Please clarify..

Regards,
Sajin

#11 hasschapman

hasschapman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:30 PM

I have installed the application on my 5800 (same OS) and have the following comments:

The first time it ran great but now when I start it it crashes after it connects to the network. I will restart my phone and see what happens then. The app is installed on my memory card.

Why doesn't it remember my login?

#12 sajinseethi

sajinseethi

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:56 PM

@ above↲Try installing it in the phone memory. I did like that.

#13 coffeebiker

coffeebiker

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Will it work on SE Satio?

CB

#14 mkrzych

mkrzych

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Hello,
It is a great news, however, S60 3rd edition is not so old and many business devices like E series uses it. So, Evernote, c'mon, please make Evernote also for 3rd edition, it may boost your downloads definitively! Many business phone owners will be happy, including me. N97 and N900 are pretty new devices and not exactly for business owners - at least in Nokia's meaning. So, any chance?

#15 Hooknotes

Hooknotes

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:36 PM

Thank you so much for this. I have this widget on my 5800 and, once I realized that it was quirky unless installed in phone memory, it is a wonderful and pretty stable app. It is a joy to use. I have now downloaded the Windows version of Evernote, have the extension in Firefox and now finally realize why so many people are Evernote crazy. Thanks! Please keep up development on this.

#16 qwavel

qwavel

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

It's great to see that you are close to supporting the N97 (and presumably other Symbian devices, with time).

I wanted to use Evernote but when I looked at the website it appeared that you only supported iPhone, Blackberry, and Palm (I can understand the iPhone and the BB, but Palm?). I almost gave up on Evernote. Now that I see Symbian in the works I will start trying Evernote on Windows.

I would suggest that you indicate on your website that Symbian and Android are in the works. Your support of iPhone and Mac, and lack of any mention of Symbian and Android made me think that maybe you were going after that niche (i.e. most Windows users are using Onenote so you were going to focus on Mac/iPhone users).

#17 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback. When we release support for a platform, we'll announce it and add it to the main web site (e.g. Android was released today: http://blog.evernote... ... -its-here/)

The Nokia N97 (Web RunTime) version is still in beta testing, so isn't yet supported or officially announced. When we launch it and start supporting it, we'll publicize it more widely.

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#18 pasha

pasha

• 24 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:28 AM

Hey folks,

An update is now available for our forthcoming beta release of Evernote for Nokia N97.

You can download the new version at:
http://www.evernote....releaseNokiaWRT

This release addresses many of the issues and provides many improvements, including:
* improved sync
* better startup performance
* corrected issue with duplicate menu bar
* added tag completion when entering tags in the editor using hardware keyboard
* fixed issue with notes failing to upload on first try
* fixed issue with prompting for user/pass when accessing note list
* fixed issue with application crashing at startup after being prompted for Network Access
* fixed issue with application crashing when the device cannot provide network channel
* fixed issue with application crashing when it's backgrounded by cell provider's TOS system popup
* fixed issue with suspending application in some cases

Please note that Evernote for Nokia utilizes Nokia's APIBridge. Without APIBridge you will not be able to make Snapshot, Voice or File notes. We're currently working on packaging our application together with APIBridge, but in the meantime, you would have to download APIBridge separately from here: http://developer.nok... ... ridge.html

Please send reports to:nokia-preview@evernote.com,

Enjoy

#19 sajinseethi

sajinseethi

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:28 AM

wow, cool. i just came looking if any update was released. and here it is. you could have posted it in the old thread so that other users will be notified. anyway i shall do that. and i shall send the report too after using this. thanks a lot

#20 sajinseethi

sajinseethi

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:30 AM

guys, the client has been updated. go here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13830

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: other, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote