Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

how-to make a hyperlink to a file/folder on a local drive

evernote

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 helix

helix

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • Group: Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

This question has been raised at least twice recently. Here is how to do it easily:
1. Copy the full path of the intended file\folder to the clipboard (pls see below).
2. Go to EN, write down a title for your hyperlink.
3. Mark the title.
4. Ctrl-K, paste the copied file path ON TOP of the "http://" marked text, NOT after it, resulting in a text starting with "C:\Documents\..", (not "http://C\Documents\... "). file:/// etc. is added automatically.
5. Click OK, done.
[Addendum]
Or, if you just want the URL:
3. Ctrl-K, paste the path as described above, click OK, done.

The trick here is copying the path to the clipboard rather than writing it manually, which could be sometimes quite tiresome.
In Win7: In Explorer point to the targeted file, hold the “Shift” key and right click that file icon, press "copy as path".
In XP: Unfortunately no such function here. But - download and install a small free utility, ClipboardPath by Stefan Bertels,
from http://stefan.bertel...n/clipboardpath, (thank you Stefan!). This utility adds the command "Copy Path to Clipboard" to the right-click filename menu. In Explorer right-click the filename, choose this command to copy the file path and proceed to 2,3,4.
[Addendum]
In XP (more): It is also possible to get the path using Internet Explorer (a longer procedure):
- In IE8 press File< Open< Browse.
- In the lower file type box (the one with "HTML"), open the dropdown menu and choose "all Files".
- Browse to the targeted file and click it twice.
- Copy the path from the small window opened at the upper left corner.

Good luck to all, helix

#2 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Thanks, Helix, for responding to one of my #1 requests.

The file:/// prefix is inserted, as you stated -- this seems to be new because last time I tried with 4.0 it didn't seem to do even that -- but when I click on the hyperlink nothing happens.

I pasted 1) a path to a text file with spaces in it 2) a path to a jpg without spaces, 3) a path to a folder without spaces. None of the hyperlinks was active, in that nothing happens when I click on them.

I'm running XP SP3 and 122872 Public (after the 2.4.2 pre-release install failed on me last night). How come this trick works for you and not for me?

Lena

Running EN on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Android

#3 emerick

emerick

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

Lena,

If you create a new note, and type in C:\ and then press the space bar:

1 - Does the note editor automatically turn it into a hyperlink with a blue underline?

2 - If so, does clicking on the link open Windows Explorer at that location?

There have been other reports that clicking on file links doesn't work, but I can't reproduce the problem.

Thanks,

Emerick
- Emerick Rogul (Evernote)

#4 jkb_evernote

jkb_evernote

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

I seemed to run into problems when I had a space in the folder name.

#5 luckman212

luckman212

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:51 PM

Yes, there's something nutty going on here.
I can make a link to C:\ and that opens just fine.

C:\Users\ works too.

even C:\Users\John Smith\ (well, C:\Users\John%20Smith )

but ...

C:\Users\John%20Smith\Documents\ does NOT work. ?????

→ using Evernote Win v5.3.1.3363

#6 emerick

emerick

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

C:\Users\John%20Smith\Documents\ does NOT work. ?????

So it created a link (blue underline, clickable), but clicking the link doesn't launch Explorer?

What operating system are you running? Also, is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Finally, are you using an account with administrator privileges or are you using a non-admin account?

Thanks,

Emerick
- Emerick Rogul (Evernote)

#7 luckman212

luckman212

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

Yes, it creates a blue underlined link, but clicking it does nothing. I'm running Win7 x64, and yes I am logged on with Administrator privs.

#8 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:36 AM

Lena,

If you create a new note, and type in C:\ and then press the space bar:

1 - Does the note editor automatically turn it into a hyperlink with a blue underline?

2 - If so, does clicking on the link open Windows Explorer at that location?

Emerick,

Thanks for investigating. Will be REALLY cool if this works!

1 - A hyperlink is created.
2 - When I click on it, the system hesitates as if it's going to open something, but nothing happens.

Lena, running XP SP3, EN 126764 Prerelease.

#9 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:28 AM

Emerick,

The following works for me, and a click opens Explorer! :)

C:\Intel\ExtremeGraphics\CUI\Resource\

But not when the folder name breaks with a space

C:\My Documents

If I put %20 into the space to link My and Documents as luckman212 did, it works.

Why %20 or, is there an automatic way to type the space and get this?

What is next? (After the link inside the EN note opens a folder, how to link a file?)

Windows XP (5.1) SP3; EN4.2.1 (122872).

CP

#10 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

Emerick,
The following works for me, and a click opens Explorer! :)

CP and Emerick,

When I paste F:\Inbox\PhraseExpress onto EN, select it, and paste it again onto the Ctrl-K box, it becomes file:///F:/Inbox/PhraseExpress, but does NOT open Explorer. Go figure! :?

Thanks,

Lena, also running XP

#11 helix

helix

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

When I paste F:\Inbox\PhraseExpress onto EN, select it, and paste it again onto the Ctrl-K box, it becomes file:///F:/Inbox/PhraseExpress, but does NOT open Explorer. Go figure!

Lena,
After creating the (unresponsive) link via the ctrl-K route, please try to open the ctrl-K box again (with shft-ctrl-K), copy the link, and paste it into the note as it is.
I wonder if that might create an active link?
helix

#12 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

Helix and Lena,

I manually typed the file address as instructed by Helix, and everything works!! :)

Now I just have to download the free utility in Helix's earlier post.

CP

#13 luckman212

luckman212

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

I'm glad some people have found kludgy workarounds but this needs to be fixed in a way that doesn't require manual tinkering with the URLs.

#14 helix

helix

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

CP,
I am glad that your problem has been solved! :)
BTW I just added some useful information to the original post. :?
helix

#15 luckman212

luckman212

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

helix-
If I follow word-for-word your updated instructions in the first post, it does not work for me.
the path I am trying to link to is:
C:\Users\John Smith\Documents\Virtual Machines\Ubuntu

clicking on this link from within EN does absolutely nothing on my system.
as I mentioned before, shortening the URL to just
C:\Users\John Smith\

does work, but it's as if EN can "go no further" down the path-- anything extra beyond the user folder (e.g. Favorites, Documents, Desktop etc) results in a dead link.

#16 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Helix:

Thanks! The other alternative in XP is to open the files and copy its location from the properties. Your method does not need to open the file.

The only problem I have now is, how to add %20 automatically in the blank spaces of a folder name or file name?

Also, I am not sure about the Ctrl-K. In my test I did not have to do this, all I have to do is just to paste the path starting with C:\Documents\.... On the other hand, if I hit Ctrl-K I got http:// in front of the path, and pasting it in a note results in http://C\Documents\... without the ":". This obviously will not work. This seems very different from what you described. :?

CP

#17 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

helix-
If I follow word-for-word your updated instructions in the first post, it does not work for me.
the path I am trying to link to is:
C:\Users\John Smith\Documents\Virtual Machines\Ubuntu

clicking on this link from within EN does absolutely nothing on my system.
as I mentioned before, shortening the URL to just
C:\Users\John Smith\

does work, but it's as if EN can "go no further" down the path-- anything extra beyond the user folder (e.g. Favorites, Documents, Desktop etc) results in a dead link.

I am wondering whether that has to do with your Windows system. As shown in my earlier example, the link seems to work in my PC regardless of the number of levels of subfolders. Or is this because of EN 4.2.2 which you and Lena use? I am still 4.2.1.

But I cannot automatically insert a %20 in the blank spaces in a folder or file name. Any advice appreciated.

CP

#18 helix

helix

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:23 PM

helix-

Yes, I noticed that. I have no problems in going deeper with the level of my folders, in using the ctrl-K feature, etc. Very unfortunate I guess. Seems to be an important feature for you.
Could be that this is the new version after all? CP mentioned that you and Lena are running EN 4.2.2 while he and myself still at 4.2.1.
In any case the EN programmers are already aware of that bug, so hopefully they will solve it soon.
helix

#19 helix

helix

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:00 PM

----------
The only problem I have now is, how to add %20 automatically in the blank spaces of a folder name or file name?

Also, I am not sure about the Ctrl-K. In my test I did not have to do this, all I have to do is just to paste the path starting with C:\Documents\.... On the other hand, if I hit Ctrl-K I got http:// in front of the path, and pasting it in a note results in http://C\Documents\... without the ":". This obviously will not work. This seems very different from what you described.

I am sorry if my instructions are not clear enough. So, while in a note, when you call Ctrl-K a box appears with "http://" marked blue in it. You have to delete it first and only then paste the copied file path. In other words, and in one step, paste the copied file path ON TOP of the "http://" marked text, NOT after it, resulting in a text starting with "C:\Documents\..", not "http://C\Documents\... ".
To complete the process click the OK button. This click converts the path into an active URL, and in the same time adds %20 automatically in place of all the blank spaces!. :shock:
The URL should now be typed in your note. If it is embedded in a text hyperling you can mark this text, and call shft-ctrl-K (Edit Hyperlink) in order to see the URL, copy it, etc.

Good luck this time, :)
helix

#20 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

helix, you are my hero. :)

Now, I have found a new way of copying the file address to creat a link in XP, without using IE:

1. In an Explorer window, ctrl-C to copy the folder address (the line under the tool bars)
2. Open a new note, ctrl-K, paste the folder address over the http:// inside, add a slash
3. Highlight the file to be linked, click lightly as if one wants to change the file name, and ctrl-C to copy the file name
4. paste it behind the slash, where the cursor was already at the right place so no extra action is needed.
5. OK and the linked file address is in the note.

Even though it appears to involve a number of steps, I found the flow of doing this is quite effortless because you are working just with two small windows you need to open in any case, one the Explorer window where the file is, and the other the new EN note. Let me know what you think.

CP

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote