Request: Add Speech-To-Text back on Android

Speedie

Idea

Hi,

I used to have an icon on my Evernote for Android widget that started a speech to text note (as distinct from an audio recording). It doesn't appear to be there any more, anyone know why? Is there something I need to enable on the phone to bring it back (Samsung Galaxy S5).

• Like 4

44 replies to this idea

On 8/25/2016 at 0:49 PM, Matt W. said:

Hi @Speedie,

With the 7.9.4 update to the Evernote application the Speech-to-Text functionality was removed from the Evernote application altogether, including from the widget. You are however still able to get a Speech-to-Text feature using the keyboard on your device as @Dave-in-Decatur stated. This would be your best bet.

For the record, evernote's implementation of speech to text was FAR superior to the standard speech to text feature, The built in speech to text in the phones cuts you off in the middle of sentences with the slightest pause, frequently refuses to work at all, and provides no backup audio so if after 3-4 times the text is wrong you have to stop and type which is terrible when driving and trying to speak a to do list. Evernote's speech to text remained on, until you stopped it. And provided backup audio. I could tap the icon, say what I needed, pauses and all as I thought, and then stop it and not worry if it got something wrong. i could correct it later listening to the audio if it was important. BAD call, Evernote. Just when I was getting ready to rant about how wonderful it is that you brought some contrast back into the desktop app! (Thanks for that by the way!) 

I'm assuming someone in development thought "Why do we have speech to text when everyone has a speech to text icon on their phone?" Well, that's why. Speech to text both by google and samsung's implementation among others is not geared towards anything more than a single sentence. It's very cumbersome to work with even in basic text messaging. Trying to make useful lists of things to do is absolutely horrid. Give it a try. Open a new note, tap your text to speech button, then start building a to do list for the day from memory. Do it once and you'll want the feature back as well. :-)

Oh, and thanks for confirming at least so I'm not chasing down problems that don't exist. Is there any way to roll back to the previous version? If I had known this in advance I would have refused the update as long as I could. 

• Like 3

When I first tried Evernote 4 or 5 years ago i stumbled across this function, dictated somenotes, then used the AMAZING audio-linked-to-the-text acapability to listen to what i said and correct the text - and I believe that Evernote ALSO learned what I was saying by this!

BUT - i didn't need it, or Evernote back then - so that was th end of that, a couple of voicenotes, which to this day stay in my free account.

NOW - I DO need it - Since then I now have a disability, and being able to make voice notes, dictate, speak for an hour... pause to think anytime, not have to use my hands to constantly restart the google voice feature - AND then, Oh my GOODNESS - have the audio version linked to the text, that I can listen back to anytime - (not the whole recording to find my place), but JUST THE WORD OR SENTENCE that didn't auto dictate properly, correct by listening to what i was saying, and teach Evernote my voice - what a godsend that would be for me right now in my life.

I recently re-started using Evernote, and quickly relaised it wasnt there anymore. Tried the google and samsing implementations - Urggh! - they are only really designed for short commands to the phone  - and then I thought - I bet this is a premium option!

But no - what a total shame. I would dearly love this option back, there are many of us that REALLY need it - and would HAPPILY pay for the option, whether premium or as an add-on - user pays basis.

Luckily I did not upgrade first only to find it wasnt there and then have to risk a fight getting a refund.

For now, without that AMAZINGLY userful functionality, I have to try and find something else that really lets me work with my voice that way, wherever I am, home or out.  Still struggling to find one....

Why oh why... Please talk to the techs and get this bacK!...please!!!!

Or - doesanyone know of an alternate that does work this way?  What other options are there?

Thanks for listening at least,

• Like 1
On 26/08/2016 at 8:47 AM, Speedie said:

Ok thanks for the update, I managed to get it working via the keyboard as Dave suggested.

On 13/09/2016 at 1:17 AM, Speedie said:

You can still do speech to text using Dave's suggestion above. For me it meant only 1 additional tap on my Android phone compared to before (to select the speech option from the keyboard).

it just doesnt work the same way as the amazing Evernote implementation.  Functionality is way reduced and doesnt come close.  A real shame, it was a fabulous feature, just wish I didnt need itnow in my life, but I do. C'est la vie - but hopefully someone up high will notice this and can make the decision to reinstate it.

i wonderif it was a licensing or cost saving issue... false economy thinking that the google or samsung versions can even come close - surely they tested the alternatives?

Still waiting. When will the devs recognize that the text to speech feature that was built into evernote was NOTHING LIKE the OS versions? It continued to listen, through pauses and all. And provided an audio note as a back. No more repeating, deleting, etc. It was beautiful for making lists which is what evernote is for. It was NOT ideal for simple messaging which is what the OS versions of text to speech were good for. 

Why do software manufacturers, void of new and exciting ideas, start REMOVING perfectly good and working features just to "refresh" the app? This trend is driving me nuts as every time I get used to doing something, I have to take the time to re-thing and re-work how I do things. When you have something good, LEAVE IT. And if you find a way to improve or ADD functionality do so, but leave the rest alone! 

• Like 2
On 2/12/2017 at 6:49 PM, gazumped said:

There are 14 votes so far.  If enough votes mount up Evernote may consider adding this back,  but at the moment AFAIK this is not on anyone's to do list.  If only 14 users are affected it's not cost effective to spend any time developing an interface for the new voice-sensitive OS's.

It really doesn't help when evernote keeps ***** up so many things that this gets pushed to the bottom. And the feature itself was one that few realized was there until just before it was taken away. 

Seriously, Evernote.... You had a GREAT feature here! It was much better than using standard speech to text that cuts you off in mid-sentence, you can't make a list from, and  there is no audio backup file as there was in the evernote feature that was IMPORTANT! Think about it! You're driving, you make your note. You pause and it stops and you have to restart speech to text again. It gets ugly, gets things wrong, you keep trying to correct and finally you end up having to type your corrections while driving. 

In the evernote voice to text, it was simple. Press it once. It listens until you stop it. You don't have to worry about it timing out while you think through the list you're making.

And in the event that something was wrong, no big deal. You have an audio backup file you can check later. Funny that my Alexa does the same thing now. I can go into the app and not only see what I said, but listen to the audio file if needed. They get it. Why don't you? You were on the cutting edge! And you took it away and put yourself on the back edge.  

• Level 5*

Hi.  Is the widget configurable?  IE does it have a 'gear' icon anywhere - you should be able to add the STT 'mic' icon from there.  If that fails,  try another widget!  STT still exists,  you;re just not seeing the shortcut.  Worst case - sync your phone then uninstall / reinstall.

• Level 5

@Speedie, I see the same thing, and the mic is definitely audio, not speech to text. I'm a little surprised to learn that Evernote Android once did have a speech to text function.

I accomplish much the same thing using a regular text note and the Google text to speech option from my onscreen keyboard. Could that work for you?

Dave,
I don't seem to have any speech to text option on the keyboard - I'm using a Galaxy S5 phone. I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote, but still get the same options in the widget. Very odd. I remember using the speech to text icon a couple of months ago on the same phone so not sure what has happened, other than one or two Evernote updates.

7 minutes ago, Matt W. said:

Hello @Speedie,

I am not seeing it either in any of the widgets, but the speech-to-text option was there in previous updates. I will follow-up with all of you once I find out more about this change.

Thanks Matt. I did notice here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote.widget

It says "UPDATE: The Evernote Widget is no longer supported. It is now included with Evernote for Android. We recommend uninstalling the Evernote Widget and adding the new and improved widget included within the Evernote app."

but not sure how to add the new version? I've just been using the one that appeared in the widget list after installing EN.

@Speedie,

If you have the stand-alone Evernote Widget application installed, we recommend uninstalling it. By default the Evernote application for Android has the widget built in and is how you are able to add the Evernote Widget, as the other one will show an error when attempting to use it.

I don't think I've ever installed the stand-alone version, only the one that the EN installation automatically puts in the widget list - I assume that's the correct one? All the buttons in the widget work ok.

• Level 5*

Wow - didn't even realise that was gone.  The icon I selected in my widget was for a 'quick note' but it has an icon that looks like a microphone with movement lines - which was pretty much like what I previously chose for the actual speech-to-text feature.  I can see that with voice control being increasingly built into the handset,  it makes sense to use the OS feature,  but is Evernote ever going to bring back the in-app version or has it now gone for good?  :(

• Like 1

Dave's suggestion is a good one. Though I sorely miss the ability to instantly start voice recording through the widget. 

I will say that even two clicks in Evernote is more convenient than the four (or five if you want to delete the previous dication) clicks you need for speech to text using Dragon Anywhere on Android. And then Nuance's Dragon Anywhere appends "Created with Nuance Dragon Anywhere" to the end of every single note imported into Evernote, even in the paid version. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Matt also said -

On 16/09/2016 at 0:15 AM, Matt W. said:

Hello folks,

I am going to move this over to the feedback section so that this can get voted on to be put back into the Evernote application on Android.

So keep clicking on the top left counter to get this reconsidered...

-And for 'older' Android installations,  see http://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/?q=evernote

• Like 3
  • Level 5

It's always hard--impossible really--to know why a feature is removed, especially such a handy one. They redid the Android editor; conceivably, I suppose, the new version couldn't handle this. Be sure to click the up-arrow at the top of this page to vote up the request.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kfreels said:

Still waiting.

There are 14 votes so far.  If enough votes mount up Evernote may consider adding this back,  but at the moment AFAIK this is not on anyone's to do list.  If only 14 users are affected it's not cost effective to spend any time developing an interface for the new voice-sensitive OS's.

• Thanks 1
On 9/16/2016 at 9:15 AM, Matt W. said:

Hello folks,

I am going to move this over to the feedback section so that this can get voted on to be put back into the Evernote application on Android.

Hi Matt, Can you please explain how I might vote for this new (or re-introduction of old) feature?

• Level 5

@kfreels, I strongly suspect that the feature was not removed just to remove it, but disappeared when they changed to a new, Chrome-based editor. (That's right, ultimately it is Google's fault, just like every thing else :angry:, except for what's Microsoft's fault. :P) They're currently working on improving the editor, but of course I don't know whether re-including this is part of that process.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:49 PM, gazumped said:

Wow. That's not very forward thinking. When the feature came out, no one told me about it. I stumbled onto it by accident. It's likely that few people even knew it was there. Then it was removed right when people were getting used to taking notes and such by phone. But the difference in the way it worked made this actually practical whereas other speech to text options do a horrible job of helping compile lists and they're very frustrating. Marketed properly it could be a big boost for evernote since you could actually make a list by voice that didn't include having to hit the button 20 times and a backup voice file to correct later if the text is wrong. 

But hey, what do I know about marketing and software? I'm just in tech sales. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Maybe Evernote believed that the gazillions being invested in voice activation research by Google / Apple / Samsung and others put them out of contention for that feature as a relatively new software company.  Even if they lucked into something better than all the rest they could still be easily outspent in marketing it - and since a minimal number of current users (I make that .0000007% so far) have expressed an interest in it anyways,  what are the chances of recovering any of their development costs?

Even if current voice activation isn't quite there yet I'm sure that Cortana and all her friends will be able to take dictation soon enough.  If you believe the hype they'll even draft the lists for you soon...

• Like 1
On 2/14/2017 at 6:39 PM, gazumped said:

Maybe Evernote believed that the gazillions being invested in voice activation research by Google / Apple / Samsung and others put them out of contention for that feature as a relatively new software company.  Even if they lucked into something better than all the rest they could still be easily outspent in marketing it - and since a minimal number of current users (I make that .0000007% so far) have expressed an interest in it anyways,  what are the chances of recovering any of their development costs?

Even if current voice activation isn't quite there yet I'm sure that Cortana and all her friends will be able to take dictation soon enough.  If you believe the hype they'll even draft the lists for you soon...

I do love a good, friendly debate. :-)  You make some good points but there's a few things I think you haven't considered. First, the voice being used by these companies is just different. They aren't even worried about the ability to make a list. Right now their focus is to at least get the words chosen right and to keep it from cutting out while speaking or even totally failing to work. They have a LONG way to go before they'll be able to make a list of items with pauses between them as you think about what you want on the list. It's just not on their "to-do" list. Nor is keeping a backup audio file. For all the short commands it would fill up the memory with hundreds or thousands of files.

Meanwhile, Evernote had something that worked perfectly for note-taking. Speech to text, that constantly refreshed so you could pause 10-20 seconds between items to think and continue adding to the list. And then if something was wrong, there was no need to immediately correct it - while driving. You could wait till later and review the audio file. It was as good as it gets for note-taking on a mobile and I'd even like it on my PC. 

If they made some major changes to the code or platform, I understand that, but really, what benefit did anyone gain from it? Is there any reason anyone can think of that this feature couldn't be easily ported to the new platform? 

As for the .0000007% - again. I don't think many people even knew it was there. That's a marketing failure. The product itself was very good. And aside from that, probably only .000001% of users actually bother to get on here and let their voice be heard. I think that using that as an excuse not to port a very useful and unique feature is extremely shortsighted. After all, think about Windows Mobile. Ahead of the game by years, but now pretty much cut out of the picture because they failed to recognize the demand until someone else had already taken the market. That's the same mistake being made now by evernote. In the end, we all want to be able to have an integrated note-taking system that can be used by both voice and touch depending on what the situation calls for. And if they don't do it, someone else will. And evernote will become the Windows Mobile of the note-taking world. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, kfreels said:

If they made some major changes to the code or platform,

I actually think they did - there was a major rewrite of the editor code in all platforms to allow them to use a 'common editor' - a structure which worked the same on all platforms - so that they could answer the demand for better editing tools - styles,  indents,  bullets etc. - without having to do that development separately for each major OS.  The voice editor may have been a casualty of that process.  They're still adding features to the common editor though,  so maybe it will make a comeback at some point...

In testing various ways to get speech to text for Evernote, I tried the Nuance Dragon Anywhere product. It costs money for a subscription, but the accuracy of the text from my speaking voice was excellent. It was able to recognize "discussed" where other apps produced "disgust" and it has numerous voice commands that facilitate corrections, formatting, and punctuation. Among those commands is "send to evernote" which adds the note to the default notebook. No question that this is an expensive solution but certainly something to consider if your needs for dictation are serious and persistent.

I've just spent an hour trying to find an alternative to "Evervoice" which uploaded recordings to "Evernote".

Then it disappeared. Now I find here that "Evernote" not only had this type of feature years ago, but it actually changed recordings to text. And only 14 people thought this was a good idea? Were any users asked before or after it was cancelled? This, leastways for me, would be one of the most useful things that "Evernote" could offer.

I just don't understand that since 2016 nothing has been done to improve the situation and I can't even find an alternative for "Evervoice".

LWB

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, LWB said:

I've just spent an hour trying to find an alternative to "Evervoice" which uploaded recordings to "Evernote".

Then it disappeared. Now I find here that "Evernote" not only had this type of feature years ago, but it actually changed recordings to text. And only 14 people thought this was a good idea? Were any users asked before or after it was cancelled? This, leastways for me, would be one of the most useful things that "Evernote" could offer.

I just don't understand that since 2016 nothing has been done to improve the situation and I can't even find an alternative for "Evervoice".

LWB

Hi does this help?  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004717-How-to-use-speech-to-text-to-dictate-notes

Evernote used to be absolutely amazing for disabled users.Then they stopped this and then Dragon stopped Dragon for Mac, don't even mention apple…  worst  of the lot (this has taken five minutes) leaving just about zip. It's heartbreaking if you cannot use your hands, and now your devices.

• Level 5*

The link I posted back in December is still valid -

To use voice dictation on Android devices, open any Android app and bring up a keyboard. Tap the microphone located at the bottom of your keyboard. Start speaking into the microphone when you're ready.

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The link I posted back in December is still valid -

For able-bodied people, yes for able-bodied people, yes. Read the comments above from fellow disabled people.For able-bodied people, yes. Read the comments above from fellow disabled people.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Jo23 said:

Read the comments above from fellow disabled people.

So I read back through the thread - Evernote never offered a complete hands-free audio option, and with "OK Google" or (my case) "OK Galaxy" I can ask for lots of things. There's an IFTTT action here that might be of assistance - but if that's not enough: what do you need?  https://ifttt.com/applets/482767p-create-a-note-in-evernote-using-google-assistant

Hands-free audio option? I'm talking about dictating   Coherently     for prolonged periods of time into a note, just like previously for years.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, Jo23 said:

Hands-free audio option? I'm talking about dictating   Coherently     for prolonged periods of time into a note, just like previously for years.

Hmmn.  To be honest: never tried.  Evernote is my go-to app for quick notes and reminders;  I tend to use other word-processing software for longer drafts and documents - and I assume none of them have much in the way of hands free options.  Can't suggest anything useful here,  but there are a lot of smart people in the Forum - maybe there is a solution out there somewhere...