Evernote via Linux, Ubuntu, Red Hat

I understand that Linux is a small platform with not that many people using it, but consider this: most Linux users are professionals, programmers, system administators, students, a group of people that NEED a good note taking platform. If the Evernote devs don't have time for a native version, at least figure out how to make it work with wine and publish a tutorial, I'm sure that the Linux users will be able to configure wine. I know, there's the web app, if it was like the real thing I wouldn't mind, but it's not... Any other Linux users here that would love a native version?

Hi,

(I am aware that the web almost overfloweth with info on the topic, but none of it seemed to be all too clear, and all to up-to-the-day.)

So, I want to change my entire business network to Red Hat Linux, but I don't want to miss out on Evernote. What stable and reliable options would I have to run Evernote via Linux?

Thank you very much, and pardon if this is sort of a "toddler question".

Rafe

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Le Noir Faineant said:

What stable and reliable options would I have to run Evernote via Linux?

Evernote doesn't provide an app for the Linux platform, however it does provide access via the web platform at www.evernote.com

Thank you for the quick reply! :)

So, this would mean that I could only use Evernote via my browser if I switched to an OS from the Linux family?

And that I couldn't kick Android off my phone and tablet if I wanted to, either?

And what about the material I read about - Nixnote, etc? :)

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Le Noir Faineant said:

So, this would mean that I could only use Evernote via my browser if I switched to an OS from the Linux family?

And that I couldn't kick Android off my phone and tablet if I wanted to, either?

Access to your Evernote data via the web is available from any platform.  It's my fallback, although I mostly use the client software on my Mac, iPhone and iPad.

>>And what about the material I read about - Nixnote, etc? :)

There are clone alternatives available from other sources. It's not the Evernote company; others will have to contribute as to "stable and reliable"

Is there any way to let the developers know that there are people who need a Linux client? I'm a Premium user and my main OS is Linux, so I think I'm entitled to ask for a Linux version, if it's not too difficult, or support for emulation through Wine. Night mode would be nice as well. Really, the day I can run Evernote on Linux natively and without straining my eyes is the day Premium finally pays off...  

Hi @antoni4040,

While we appreciate and value the Linux community, we are a relatively small organization without sufficient resources to build and maintain a native Linux client for Evernote, particularly given the relatively small number of users of the platform in a desktop context.

However, enterprising developers are able to build such a client themselves using our robust API.

Nevernote, an open source Evernote client for Linux, is one example of a successful Linux implementation using our API. If you're looking for Evernote for Linux, this would be a good place to start!

• 1 month later...

Hi @amanda_h,

I'm sory for restarting the discussion, but I need to reinforce the @antoni4040 arguments. I had tried to use Nevernote and/or the Evernote Web and, unfortunately, both are not so good to use as an Evernote native client. I like to use Linux to work and I also like to use Evernote to work, one without the other is an incomplete workstation and worse: an incomplete solution.

I need to ask you, as an Evernote representative, to give us (Linux users) a Linux Evernote Client or at least a good support to emulate it via Wine. Please!

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to add my voice (text) to the calls for Evernote on Linux.  And what would really make my day is an evernote app for ubuntu touch on tablet & phone.  There is a web app available on ubuntu touch but I often want to access notes on my tablet when there is no network around.

Thanks

JJC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I came here to support @antoni4040's comments. The linux community needs a native app. NixNote (previously known as Nevernote) is just too ugly. Evernote could be the go to app for all developers without a question, if you guys only built a native client. Please! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have to admit I might have thought twice about Jumping in and paying for a year subscription straight away if I had realised that there was not an acceptable Evernote authored Linux solution. The Web (Chrome) version is incomplete. Fortunately nixnote so far appears to be excellent and I have Finally got Rich text (and versioning) that I have been longing for on Keep for years. I finally gave up with keep and imported my keep notes into nixnote

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2016 at 2:08 PM, antoni4040 said:

I understand that Linux is a small platform with not that many people using it, but consider this: most Linux users are professionals, programmers, system administators, students, a group of people that NEED a good note taking platform. If the Evernote devs don't have time for a native version, at least figure out how to make it work with wine and publish a tutorial, I'm sure that the Linux users will be able to configure wine. I know, there's the web app, if it was like the real thing I wouldn't mind, but it's not... Any other Linux users here that would love a native version?

I have been using OpenSuse stable and I am premium Evernote user since 2012. A native version of Evernote for Linux would be awesome!

Evernote works in Linux via Wine!

Finally, again!

Evernote did work a while ago (with version 5.6.4.4632) and then for some reason the company blocked downloading linux from the web, then they blocked it in the install file, then it would install but not sort notes into notebooks (so I've been using 5.6 for a while) but they are finally 'back in the light' so to speak.

Version 6.4.2.3788 just installed via wine with no problems and it looks better than ever.

running: Ubuntu Mate 16.04 / Wine 1.6.2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am not buying into the claim of amanda_h that Evernote are a "relatively small organization without sufficient resources " and I feel the statement "appreciate and value the Linux community," a token gesture. Evernote could take several cheap routes (some mentioned previously by other posters also):

• Become a sponsor of the project NixNote (http://nixnote.org) and provide the support of their developer's and maybe some financial donation. I am a premium user so why not a partial payment from my monthly subscription and others to support this platform.
  • Create their own Linux client.
  • Ensure that Evernote Windows build works under Wine. Companies like CodeWeavers can help with this (https://www.codeweavers.com/porting).
  • Improve the web client to provide all the additional features a native client provides then package it using Electron (https://electron.atom.io).

I think it would be a great feature to boast cross platform support in Evernote. So like everyone else here I am contributing my 2 cents to make more noise in support of a Evernote for Linux.

As of June of this year, according to this tracking site, Linux market share on the desktops is just over 2%

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

Add mobile into equation, and it drops even lower. Many younger people don't even have a laptop / desktop.

So, even if the proportion of Linux users among Evernote users is double or even triple the overall average, you're talking about 3-6% of all users. How many of them are paying users ?

Maintainig a separate client takes money away from other parts of the business. Is there going to be enough paying Linux users to offset both the direct cost and the lost opportunity cost ?

MacOS has a relatively small market share as well, but Mac owners are used to paying for software and services, and I suspect the proportion of paying users among Mac owners is much higher than among Windows users. 

Linux community embraces free open source. While many Linux users are just as willing to pay for the things they use, there's also a large slice of community who oppose paid services on principle. DotCommunism is running strong there.

This is why Mac platform receives a disproportionate amount of attention from some developers, yet Linux is left to linger.

I do agree that making EN client run under Wine shouldn't be a huge investment. But I am not a programmer.

Archived