(Archived) Bug: EN Mac Tag Tree Issues

ryinsf

Idea

Evernote - any response to the issues noted below? If there is a better way for me to report issues, please let me know.

Bug: EN Mac Tag Tree Issues

by ryinsf on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:19 pm

EN Mac Version 1.6.2 Beta 1 (70501)

Issue 1 -

When I click on a Saved Search, the Tag tree will expand if it is collapsed. This does not happen in the Windows version. It is very annoying as there seems to be no way of changing the listing order of the Notebooks, Tags, Attributes, and Saved Searches trees. As I primarily use Saved Searches to find what I'm looking for, I like to collapse all trees above the Saved Search tree. The self-expanding Tag tree pushes Saved Searches down and causes me to go digging to get back to my search list. Ideally, I could reorder the trees so that I could put Saved Searches at the top (or at least directly under Notebooks).

Issue 2 -

In the Saved Search tree, a previously selected Search will "hang" and not be deselected when another Search is clicked. Seems to happen most often when the previously selected Search is the last in the list, but can happen anywhere in the list. The newly selected Search operates with no problems.

Last edited by ryinsf on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ryinsf

16 replies to this idea

Actually, I think you may have just enabled a new feature on the Mac: View > Hide Unassigned Tags

If you disable that feature, you'll see all tags.

Yes, I was trying to use the new feature. What I'm trying to say is the new feature needs help. I'm not sure if it's designed this way, but here's how it works for me...

1) If I click on a notebook, and IMMEDIATELY click view > hide unnassigned tags - it works correctly on that step, filtering 16 top-level tags down to the four used in that particular noteboook. Then it all breaks down from there as follows...

2) If I click on ANY of the remaining filtered tags, then ALL the other tags disappear except for the one I clicked on. That should not happen. It appears then that the only way to see ANY of my other tags is to either go back to "view > show unassigned tags" which shows all of them again, which isn't what I want. OR .... I have to click a DIFFERENT notebook, then click BACK to the original notebook I'm trying to work with to see all the filtered tags again.

This is also the same issue I had a gripe about even before this new feature was implemented. That is, if you click a single tag, you're now stuck at only viewing a single tag at a time unless you click a different notebook then go back to the original notebook. That should be a one-click "view all tags" item, not a goofy-double-click-on-things-I-don't-want-to-click-just-to-do-something-simple solution.

Don't get me wrong though, I've been waiting for the "hide unassigned tags" feature for a long time so I'm glad it's here. But some of these other issues have been around forever and seems like there's no intention of fixing them.

While I'm at it, let me add one feature that is desperately needed in the Mac version (it is in Windows, but Mac got neglected): There should definitely be a TAG column available in the LIST VIEW. If we could sort the list that shows the tags without having to navigate the tag structure we wouldn't even need the "hide unassigned tags" so badly. Is that feature ever coming to the Mac or will it be a forever Windows-only feature?

I found out that once you click on the area just left of the intended tag (and not on the tag) you get what you would expect with this new feature. This doesn't feel very intuitive but it works for me.

Well spotted. Just tried this, and it works for me too. Thanks.

A bug I notice is that quite often clicking on a tag actually selects the wrong tag entirely (this is with 1.11.0 b2).

I mention it here because it seems to be associated with the (otherwise extremely welcome) 'hide unassigned tags' feature, ie. it only happens when this is enabled. I haven't tested thoroughly, but I think it's happening only on the 'All notebooks' view, and only when I click on one of the tags high up on the list (when one from much further down actually gets selected).

I found out that once you click on the area just left of the intended tag (and not on the tag) you get what you would expect with this new feature. This doesn't feel very intuitive but it works for me.

I also have crispinb's problem. If I select "Hide Unassigned Tags" and click on a displayed tag the search results will frequently be for a different tag in the list (e.g. I click "austria" and get results for "europe"; I click "england" and get results for "fishbourne roman palace") This does not happen consistently with every tag (in one notebook it occurs only with 1 out of 36 tags, in another with 7 tags out of 71, in another with 4 tags out of 16). Nor does it happen with every notebook; the problem shows itself in 4 notebooks out of 10. If I select "Show Unassigned Tags" the problem disappears. There are occasions when the context of a tag is notebook-specific, however, so I would prefer to be able to use the "hide unassigned" mode. I have version 1.10.1 (93489), which the update checker says is the latest. Am running OS X 10.5.

A bug I notice is that quite often clicking on a tag actually selects the wrong tag entirely (this is with 1.11.0 b2).

I mention it here because it seems to be associated with the (otherwise extremely welcome) 'hide unassigned tags' feature, ie. it only happens when this is enabled. I haven't tested thoroughly, but I think it's happening only on the 'All notebooks' view, and only when I click on one of the tags high up on the list (when one from much further down actually gets selected).

I like the hide unused tags feature. In fact, to be honest, I never click directly on a tag and wouldn't mind hiding them all permanently. Failing that, is there a way to reorder the items to put saved searches near that top? That is the feature I use a LOT!

No, the feature is working as intended. If you enable that feature, it will only show you tags on the left side that are applied to one or more of the notes in the list of notes you're viewing, regardless how you filtered down that list.

So if you click on a notebook, you'll only see notes in that notebook, and only see tags applied to one of those notes. If you then filter further by searching for a word or clicking on a tag, it will further refine the tag list to just show tags that are assigned to at least one of the remaining notes.

That's why it's labeled "Hide Unassigned Tags" and not "Show tags by notebook" or something like that.

• Level 5*

2) If I click on ANY of the remaining filtered tags, then ALL the other tags disappear except for the one I clicked on. That should not happen. It appears then that the only way to see ANY of my other tags is to either go back to "view > show unassigned tags" which shows all of them again, which isn't what I want. OR .... I have to click a DIFFERENT notebook, then click BACK to the original notebook I'm trying to work with to see all the filtered tags again.

On the Windows client, you can just unselect the tag in the search summary or Ctrl-click the same tag in the Tags window (which unselets it), and you'll go back to seeing all the tags in that notebook. Does it not work this way on the Mac?

This is also the same issue I had a gripe about even before this new feature was implemented. That is, if you click a single tag, you're now stuck at only viewing a single tag at a time unless you click a different notebook then go back to the original notebook. That should be a one-click "view all tags" item, not a goofy-double-click-on-things-I-don't-want-to-click-just-to-do-something-simple solution.

No Tags window multi-select on the Mac client? This is in the Windows client, and works nicely.

~Jeff

I'm having a different problem but also related to the Tag Tree...

I just downloaded the Version 1.10.0 Beta 1 (90307). I've really been looking forward to the ability to hide unassigned tags, so I'm glad to see that in there. However, as I'm sure you know, it's EXTREMELY buggy right now. If I click to hide unassigned tags in a folder, it shows about 10 tags out of 50 at first, which is correct. Then if I click on one of the tags, all the others disappear, and I have to click "show all tags" again to get back to the rest of the tags that ARE being used even. Sometimes clicking "hide unassigned" shows varying amounts of tags, and clicking tags then makes a random number of tags disappear, or change order. Not very usable at the moment.

Archived