Opening PDF documents show black screen with no content

Hi there, 

since a couple of days i'm not able to open pdf attachments on my Ipad. Opening the pdf gives me a black blank sceen with no content (see attached file) 

The note itself with the pdf is usable and works fine on my windows copy and also on my android device.

Any hints on this?

I'm the only one in the EN universe with this?

Best wishes

Harald

• Level 5*

Chances are those PDFs have been saved with compatibilty settings that aren't er,  compatible with the iPad app.  If you open,  edit and resave them on the Windows desktop,  that may restore the settings,  or you could try to extract the content and save that into a note so you have access to part of the information at least via iPad.

• Level 5*

On the desktop you could try copying the offending note, deleting the PDF from it, right clicking in the body of the original note, click on save attachments, save it to the desktop, and then drag from the desktop to the new note.  Or if you feel adventurous, do the save portion, delete the PDF from the original note and then drag it back into the original note.

Voice of experience here.  I don't know why but I had some PDFs in notes that were no longer visible or openable (should such a word exist).  This was in Windows.  It was obvious something was there based upon the note size.  The fix was to right click in the note - save attachments and then drag back into the note.  FWIW.

okay. What i did is on my windows client: detach the pdf to the desktop; sync evernote; attach the pdf to the note again; sync evernote.

After this the pdf is visibel and readable on the ipad.

But still wondering why this happende.

Thanks to csihilling and gazumped for your support.

• Level 5*

You are welcome.  I had the same how com - for why thoughts.  Makes no sense and no way I could actually repeat it.  But I would bet at some point in he future I will find a PDF that needs to be reconstituted.

• 2 months later...

Same problem here. iPad (iOS 8.3) shows certain PDF as black, iPhone (iOS 8.3) no problem.

I think this is some kind of caching error. Switching offline files for the notebook on/off makes no difference.

Does the Evernote dev team watch these threads?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same problem here on my iPad, iOS8.4, newest EN-version, not just with a few files, it's actually spreading out and affecting a lot of my pdfs. It starts to reach a point for me where Evernote becomes a serious problem for me as I rely on it...

I've tried to completely erase the app from the iPad, re-installing, re-syncing for offline use, that made matters even much worse.

I'm a bit at loss right now, I can't really switch from Evernote, but with these problems I can't really work with it either ...

If anyone has an idea: please come out with it!!!!

• 7 months later...
On 28 juillet 2015 at 2:40 PM, johannes.meller said:

I've got the same problem here on my iPad, iOS8.4, newest EN-version, not just with a few files, it's actually spreading out and affecting a lot of my pdfs. It starts to reach a point for me where Evernote becomes a serious problem for me as I rely on it...

I've tried to completely erase the app from the iPad, re-installing, re-syncing for offline use, that made matters even much worse.

I'm a bit at loss right now, I can't really switch from Evernote, but with these problems I can't really work with it either ...

If anyone has an idea: please come out with it!!!!

Same problem here...

• Level 5*

You're having an issue with the Evernote built in pdf viewer.

What happens if you take Evernote out of the way? 

You can use the share menu to send yourself the note or save in iBooks.  Does this make the pdf viewable?

Hi DTLow, 

thanks for your post. I am able to access the pdf in the mail app after sharing note via email. However, I cannot "Open with" the pdf as the black screen will not allow me to do that. 

• Level 5*

I think I managed to duplicate the issue with some of my pdfs 

My pdfs were created using the web clipper Save PDF feature in Safari.

I've opened a support ticket.

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, rrrrosi said:

anything happen since? this is just beginning to happen to me out of the blue. Only in Safari.

My problem was with the Save PDF feature and generated pdfs like bank statements.  My solution was to not use the Safe PDF feature for these pdfs 

Archived