Sorting notebooks with different rules

Hi all,

There's a feature I terribly miss in Evernote: I need to sort each and every notebook using different rules from its neighbour. Some notebooks could then be sorted by reverse update date, some by title, some by reverse title, etc.

Don't think there's any technical issue there, so please, when will upgrade the tool with this feature?

Thanks a lot for reading!

This is exactly why I think we should be able to sort each and every notebook with its own rules. Some would like to sort alphabetically, some by date, some by reverse date... and change their preferences from notebook to notebook! ;-)

What they could do, though, is tweak the setup on Windows desktop (as it is with Mac) for easier switching between multiple sorting parameters (i.e. reverse sort order + title). One has to go into the sorting menu twice to get that combination when switching from another sort order. 

Hi Franck,

I don't understand the tweak you're talking about... What is need is pretty simple: I open notebook A, which is sorted by title/straight, then I switch to notebook B which displays sorted by update date/reverse. Unfortunately, today, Evernote only allows one sort option for all notebooks.

Even Windows file explorer allows for custom sorting options on different folders, therefore I'm expecting Evernote to propose this feature...

Thanks to all for your feedback.

• Level 5

Search is Evernote's lifeblood.

I would expect search results in a multi-rule environment to be a bit confusing. If notebooks are date-sorted, reverse-date-sorted, alpha-sorted, author-sorted, etc.; the final search results could look like a mess.

Evernote would have to also develop a "Search Results Sort Option" to change to a variety of different sort defaults; while still working inside a Windows, Mac, Web, iOS, and Android environment.  Sounds simple enough.

Don't agree: I just want notebooks to display in the order I want them to, each time I open the desktop application. This doesn't sound like a mess and has nothing to do with the search functions, which operate over the content. I want to tweak the display, not the content...

• Level 5

If you never use the Evernote search feature, I might agree.

But finding data, when you have 10,000 notes or more, without the search feature is mighty difficult.

The vast majority of Evernote users rely very heavily on the search capability.

The issue I brought up is: how will the search results be sorted?

Hi Franck,

I don't understand the tweak you're talking about... What is need is pretty simple: I open notebook A, which is sorted by title/straight, then I switch to notebook B which displays sorted by update date/reverse. Unfortunately, today, Evernote only allows one sort option for all notebooks.

Even Windows file explorer allows for custom sorting options on different folders, therefore I'm expecting Evernote to propose this feature...

Thanks to all for your feedback.

I was responding to @Gazumped... and mentioned that it would, at the very least, be nice to sort on Windows desktop the way one can on Mac... Too many clicks to sort by 2 parameters. So there is no tweak available... I was asking for a tweak :-)

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic but it's the first search result when I was looking for a solution.  Accidentally found a way to do this on my own.  Go into the notebook you want the special sort order.  Click "Always use for Notebook "x" and then change the sort order to anything you want.  It will only change it for that notebook.  You can do this in multiple different notebooks.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Level 5*
On 10/5/2020 at 7:04 PM, DrewG said:

Is this no longer available?

The sort options per notebook is available on the Evernote/Windows platform. edit: (Legacy Product)

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bartololo said:

Hi @DTLow could you describe how this can be set in Evernote/Windows? I can;t find option to do that

The save-sort options is a feature on the Legacy product (I edited my post)

The Version 10 product only supports saving view options, not saving sort options

• Thanks 1