REQUEST: Paste as text as default (option)

The_UnknownX

Hello,

when copy'n'pasting formatted text from websites to Evernote, I - of course - use Ctrl+V. But then the fonts in my note are all different. I know herefor I have to type Ctrl+Shift+V ("Paste as text" or similar). But this is quite annoying because Ctrl+V is so deep in my mind that I always press it when pasting something. So I most of the time press Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Z (Undo), Ctrl+Shift+V :P

Is thery a chance that you, as it is in Office 2010, add an option to the preferences saying 'Default paste behavior: [formatted text | plain text]'?

Thanks in advance.

Bye The_UnknownX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just joined the forum just so I could add to the requests for a text-only mode.

On a per stack basis, per note, or just a preference toggle.

Please, please.....

Thanks...Lyle

• Level 5*

Just joined the forum just so I could add to the requests for a text-only mode.

On a per stack basis, per note, or just a preference toggle.

Please, please.....

Thanks...Lyle

Hi Lyle. Welcome to the forums!

You only need to post your message once, though :)

I agree. A true plain text option would be nice. I can think of some technical challenges, though, and I am not sure if such a thing will be a possibility. As the OP mentioned, there are keyboard shortcuts to paste without formatting. While this isn't true plain text, because everything in Evernote is contained within a type of HTML shell, it is pretty close, and might meet your needs.

• Level 5

Count me in for a vote as well -- I'm a chronic Ctrl+V, Ctrl+Z, Ctrl+Shift+V'er as well. Always forget to do that! The absolute WORST is when you paste in some material that was copied from a browser, because in that case, the SourceURL field gets set and (due to some sort of bug?) Ctrl+Z no longer works after that! I've wasted lots of time repairing notes and undoing damage when accidentally pasting in this type of content.

• Level 5

Here's another registry only option to the rescue: after revision 260230 if registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SwapPasteAccelKeys is set to 1, Ctrl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V accelerator key action is reversed, i.e. Ctrl+V inserts plain text and Ctrl+Shift+V inserts formatted text.

/Peter

• Level 5

luckman,

Try searching the forum for "HKCU" or just check HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote registry key -- all available options are there and most have descriptive names.

/Peter

Great! Can't wait for that release to go public. Is there a master list somewhere of these hidden registry tweaks? That would certainly be very useful to certain people!

Not a master list per say, but a list of the useful editable ones can be found here in my shared notebook:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&n=d922596f-d0b6-4a9c-928c-fd5ecf929a42

The one in this thread will be added at some point when it is released :)

I pasted some text from a PDF that had the words, "file", "files" and "specified". They appeared in EN as "le", "les" and "specied" as if "fi" was rendered as a NULL string.

I'd also like to be able to set an option to "simplify formatting" automatically when pasting. After pasting, the first move of the cursor is unpredictable (to me).

Pasting a table from PDF doesn't work and produces most mysterious results.

I love EN ... keeeep on makin' it better

Bill Drissel

Grand Prairie, TX

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another registry only option to the rescue: after revision 260230 if registry value HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/SwapPasteAccelKeys is set to 1, Ctrl+V and Ctrl+Shift+V accelerator key action is reversed, i.e. Ctrl+V inserts plain text and Ctrl+Shift+V inserts formatted text.

/Peter

Just got an update to EN (267728 - Prerelease) and this option works, so thanks for that :)

Will add it to my note (above) probably when it is released in a public version.

Scott

EDIT: NOTE: If you are planning on changing the registry for this option, please ensure that you have exited Evernote completely via the File -> Exit option before doing so.

• Level 5

I pasted some text from a PDF that had the words, "file", "files" and "specified". They appeared in EN as "le", "les" and "specied" as if "fi" was rendered as a NULL string.

If the PDF doesn't contain any confidential information, feel free to send it to me and I'll take a look at it for you (you can contact me via PM). It sounds like an issue with the text layers in the PDF, which sometimes are authored in very non-standard ways.

• 4 weeks later...

I started using SwapPasteAccelKeys yesterday and it saved my life, thank Evernote gods! Actually it would be nice to introduce this feature in UI to make smart choice:

1) To create a normal UI setting for a default and provide consistent experience. That should affect all types of data insert - pasting using not only keyboard shortcuts, clipping, maybe e-mailing and so on

2) To fix undo and remove formatting (undo does not remove all the styles), remove formatting also does not, it sometimes leaves a pasted style on the next paragraph after pasted text. Also undo must remove inserted "note url". A button "paste in other way" (or consequent Paste) or something like that must consistently help to fix an incorrect choice.

3) As for p.2 you should distinguish saving whole pages or big parts of pages (formatting + source url) from pasting a small snippet of text (just plain text, no urls)

4) There must be a smart mode (for default it is the best). You examine pasted text. If there is the same font used you always drop it and so on. You can guess if a user needs rich text in any particular case.

And also please fix Copy from Evernote!!! Even if you are not ready for UI setting please add another one for registry. Currently if I copy a plain text from Evernote to an Thunderbird e-mail message I get some strange font added, so I have to use Ctrl-Alt-V as well.

Thank you!

• Level 5

Something weird is going on.

I've manually regedit'ed the SwapPasteAccelKeys = 1 several times now and it's not "sticking".

Every time I quit & relaunch EN, it is getting reset back to 0

Am I missing something or is this broken somehow?

Build # is in my sig.

Seems like EN is still running (possibly in the tray) when you are changing the setting. That will cause it to overwrite to it's original value.

Quitting EN is necessary before changing settings.

- Quit Evernote (File - Exit)

- If in doubt, ensure that none of the Evernote processes are running. (I believe that EvernoteTray.exe is the main one)

- Change the registry entry - Ensure it is saved.

- Start EN and test again.

• Level 5

Hmm, well it seems like maybe you're right. I definitely did File → Exit to quit the main Evernote.exe app but apparently there was the EvernoteClipper.exe process which may have been interfering with the settings. Seems like it's "sticking" now.

• 1 year later...

I've been an Evernote user for many years and this is my one beef.

I frequently paste with Ctrl-V by mistake and it's remarkable what a mess it makes of my documents.  And Ctrl-Z (undo) never works for some strange reason.  So I have to manually fix the source URL, and remove the pasted text and formatting.

I hope you will add an option that allows users to make paste-as-text the default.

• 1 year later...

I just tested it here and it does work in 5.7.0.5492 (273492)

Are you completely closing Evernote when you try to make the registry change? (file -> exit)

You have to do this otherwise it will overwrite your changes when you start it next.

Archived