why don't tags show up in tag list?

sniffingratty

If the tags show up assigned to the notes but you can't find them in the tag list in the left pane, then IME, there is one of two things going on. Either you have hidden unassigned tags (like Scott mentioned) or you've accidentally moved the tags to a parent tag. You should try expanding all the various levels of parent tags (in the left pane) to see if you can find the ones you think are "missing".

• 2 months later...

Same issue happened (again) to me : tags dissapear in taglist, but show up in assignment-field on note.

The tags ARE used on notes

The tags ARE NOT hidden under another tag.

This happened at least 3 times the last few years.

Until now evernote-support did some 'magic' and all tags where there again.

Don't know when/how it happens. Maybe after version update, maybe after tag-renamen, maybe combination of both;

but I can not reproduce this at will.

Unfortunately my call to evernote-support to help me out again seems to get lost in 'we'll escallate the issue".

Anyone any hints?

Thanks

Luc

Are the tags visible in the web client when you search for just a missing tag via tag: ?

PS:

"We'll escalate the issue" is a good thing. It usually means that the problem has been referred to a tier 2 support tech.

"some magic" may have been a re-index at the service.

• 3 months later...

I have a similar issue that a tag might identify the number of notes using it, but when selected, it says 'no notes found' so for some reason, the tag is recognized but the notes can't be shown.

Is there a way to have all the tags update?

[Added: Maybe it has something to do with the string at the top left (between Account button and Account/Shared tabs. It identifies a specific note book, and if that has the wrong notebook selected and it doesn't have that tag, it will show none...]

• 8 months later...

Tags have been showing up, but now those alphabetized below the letter B do not show. However, the tags show up in the notes and auto fill when entering new note.

Others in this thread seem to have the same problem. IOS,PC and Android same problem. However,when using the evernote touch app tags show up.

• Level 5*

Tags have been showing up, but now those alphabetized below the letter B do not show. However, the tags show up in the notes and auto fill when entering new note.

Others in this thread seem to have the same problem. IOS,PC and Android same problem. However,when using the evernote touch app tags show up.

Is this in the Web client?

• 5 months later...

How do you display the tag list? I find it frustrating that when I create a new note, my tags don't show up until I start typing at least the first letter. I would like to see all of my tags listed so I could choose from a list. Instead, I have to remember all of them. s

• Level 5*

How do you display the tag list? I find it frustrating that when I create a new note, my tags don't show up until I start typing at least the first letter. I would like to see all of my tags listed so I could choose from a list. Instead, I have to remember all of them. s

Try using the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut when you want to tag, then. That will show all the tags (provided you do not have "Hide unassigned tags" in the dialog checked). Works for single notes and multiple notes.

Try using the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut when you want to tag, then. That will show all the tags (provided you do not have "Hide unassigned tags" in the dialog checked). Works for single notes and multiple notes.

Thanks for your response. I primarily use the Web version (Firefox), so maybe it's not available there. Ctrl-Alt-T does not have any effect. Also, I don't see an unassigned tags checkbox.

• Level 5*

Thanks for your response. I primarily use the Web version (Firefox), so maybe it's not available there. Ctrl-Alt-T does not have any effect. Also, I don't see an unassigned tags checkbox.

OK, this is a Windows-specific topic, but in any case, the web client actually does have the "Hide unassigned tags" facility that was removed from the Windows 5 client. In the left panel,loog for the "Tags"header, and click on the little arrow on the right-hand side; you should see an option "Hide unassigned tags". Click on that. Now, for any search that you do, the set of tags shown in the tag tree in the left panel will be restricted to the tags used by the notes returned by the search.
  • 4 months later...

I just had same problem with a Parent Tag missing from the Tag List in the Sidebar of both Windows and Android EN, along with +50 Child Tags.

They were showing up in the Notes, and were listed in Search.

SOLUTION:

I searched for the Parent Tag, and pulled up a Note with that Tag.  I then dragged the Tag from the top of the Note, in the view panel, into the Tag List in the Sidebar.

Wallah!!

All Tags are back where they belong.

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly the answer I was looking for, thanks.  I'm just diving both feet in to Evernote and couldn't believe it wouldn't have such an obvious (and obviously valuable feature) if you're truly going to be tossing in stuff from every corner of your life and interests - and many articles suggest tagging copiously and often. 

So the "pick tags from tag list" feature exists in the note compose window, and my "feature suggestion" then is to "make sure the featured is actually featured" where new users will encounter it - so that we know it exists. 

And I actually think it's important enough that displaying the tag list should either be a right-click option when tagging a note, or appear when you click on the three downward arrows that just open an empty tag box to fill in - when you may - or maybe more often may not - know exactly which tags you want to use for the note.

Or at least be mentioned in the tutorial and help pages we're most likely to encounter as new users.

Archived