Feature request - print/export just title list

pocarovsky

• 3 months later...

Not having this feature is the worst part of Evernote. I've been requesting it for quite some time. I'm about ready to quit Evernote because of this bizarre desire to not implement this basic functionality that results in wasting my time when I try to use Evernote. I assume this is a policy choice to create file format lock-in. It is an insult to paying customers.

• Level 5*
Not having this feature is the worst part of Evernote. I've been requesting it for quite some time. I'm about ready to quit Evernote because of this bizarre desire to not implement this basic functionality that results in wasting my time when I try to use Evernote. I assume this is a policy choice to create file format lock-in. It is an insult to paying customers.

Seems very unlike the Evernote that I know to have "file format lock-in" (I can't even understand what the file format has to do with Note title printing anyways) -- notes are stored in a SQLlite database and the database schema is published; you can spelunk it to your heart's content). If you feel insulted, then you are surely not locked into paying for the service. It's unfortunate that you feel this way; it's probably less a matter of intention than prioritization -- they have lots of things on their plates. But it's your money...

~Jeff

If you select all of your notes, you can export them to HTML. The titles are located within that HTML, so you can extract the titles into whatever application you want.

The lack of a special printing mode to just print the list of titles in a selection is a nice suggestion for a future feature to add, but I don't really think this has anything to do with "lock in". Otherwise, every feature we haven't had time to implement (yet) would be part of the same nefarious lock-in strategy.

(Raises eyebrows)

1. If this is the "worst part of Evernote", how can this be a bad thing? I would assume that it means everything else is amazing. (Which it is, IMO.)

2. Just because one (or more) users request a feature does not mean it will be implemented. Also, I don't know why this would be considered "basic functionality." However, everyone does seem to have their own list of what they think falls under "basic functionality." Mine means doing what they profess to do - allow me to collect data/info from various sources, have a reliable "cloud" & be able to quickly retrieve my info, based upon the way I set up notebooks, tags, titles & keywords. But that's just me.

3. I don't know your use case, but if you've been using EN for quite some time now & this is the missing feature that is going to make you give it all up, then your needs must be pretty low tech & possibly doable in either a Word or Excel file.

4. EN has never exhibited any form of "lock in." So I guess you're pulling that one out of thin air.

(I may have to copy metrodon's sig.)

• Level 5
Here is what I would do.

Run a search to narrow the results to just To Do items.

Then do a Print Screen capture of the Note List and print it out.

By enlarging the note list, I can easily create a list of up to 35 notes.

I don't have 35 to-do notes, so I selected some political stuff to show how to create a Title list from Evernote

My printable Evernote Title List

post-16734-131906071465_thumb.png

• Level 5*

A hack, but

For windows there is a tool called SysExporter. It will let you export in .CSV format the columns that exist in List view. Once you get the rhythm it doesn't take a lot of effort. FWIW.

A hack, but

For windows there is a tool called SysExporter. It will let you export in .CSV format the columns that exist in List view. Once you get the rhythm it doesn't take a lot of effort. FWIW.

OMG is that every cool - I think I will find that utility very useful. Thanks for the pointer.

[Edit] This is even better than I thought - I can actually extract all of my tags from EN so I can see them all at once, count them, etc. Turns out I have 654 tags. Who knew? I see much potential with this tool.

• Level 5

Upcoming EN4 release allows you to Ctrl+C selected items in the List View, so you can paste them into a EverNote, NotePad, Word, Excel etc. Both plain text (tab separated) and HTML clipboard formats are provided, so table structure is preserved. This provides a way to extract tabulated list of note attributes: titles. dates. locations, etc.

/Peter

• Level 5
Upcoming EN4 release allows you to Ctrl+C selected items in the List View, so you can paste them into a EverNote, NotePad, Word, Excel etc. Both plain text (tab separated) and HTML clipboard formats are provided, so table structure is preserved. This provides a way to extract tabulated list of note attributes: titles. dates. locations, etc.

/Peter

Holy cow! Magnifico!

• 1 year later...

where would u go to as an alternative to evernote.

the program is good but the two biggest features is the printing of the note list and for not having heirarchical tags.

Any alternatives to ever note?

• 9 months later...

/Peter

Holy cow! Magnifico!

Obviously this did not make it into the Mac version of EN5...anyone find any solutions on this?

Archived