Bug on iPhone: Problem connecting to Evernote. Please verify your Internet connection

Hi, 

I can't use Evernote on iPhone because of this error message :  Problem connecting to Evernote. Please verify your Internet connection

I have absolutely no connection problem. Wifi, 4G, changing iPhone, changing country... I tried everything! It's been a year and I have the same error message popping up. a

Can it be fixed please?

Thanks in advance,

Julie

18421569909539_.pic.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am having this exact issue. I have an iPhone 11 I have switched mobile data to on in settings. Also tried:

• deleting and re-installing the app on my phone
  • phone is updated to latest software release 13.2.2

Any ideas of what I can do? I've been using the web portal but,  it's not ideal obviously.

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, eworth said:

I am having this exact issue. I have an iPhone 11 I have switched mobile data to on in settings. Also tried:

• phone is updated to latest software release 13.2.2

Any ideas of what I can do? I've been using the web portal but,  it's not ideal obviously.

Hi.  Please see the questions and suggestions above your post in this thread...

• Level 5

When the mobile data is "on" for the EN app, it should connect.

Unless you have used up your data volume for the period (month or so), which you can check on your providers services page or app. It happened to me before ...

Does it connect when you are on WiFi ?

Yes, I have the toggle switched to "On" for cellular data. No, it doesn't work when I am connected to WiFi. Oddly, I just tried turning WiFi off and it works. I have unlimited data so I knew it wasn't that. Any ideas on why would it not work when connected to WiFi?

• Level 5

As long as there is WiFi available, it will try to connect there and not through the mobile data. This is no analysis, but because it sets up a secure encrypted connection to the EN server, it probably needs an exception rule on the firewall, or maybe port 443 open (for SSL/TLS). If the secure link is blocked by the firewall policy, it may cause a problem.

Try it on another WiFi (maybe at some coffee shop, mall or hotel, where you get free WiFi). If it works there, there is something on your WiFi or local network / router / firewall that blocks it.

If you are not sure what to do, get professional help on this. It makes no sense to get EN working, but create a breach in your WiFi or network security at the same time.

• Like 1

That's a very good point. I would guess your firewall theory is correct. Come to think of it, I don't think I had ever tried connecting on my home WiFi and had only used my work WiFi. This makes a lot of sense. I'll try it at home and just use my data at work when I am accessing Evernote. Thanks so much for your help!

• Level 5

Usually the routers for home use do not restrict services like EN, if on the normal settings. If the router is provided by the internet service provider, you may try if their support can help. Usually they do not search a lot, they normally simply exchange the router.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, Julie Pawtsu said:

but it is very important that I can also use it on mobile.

As above, does Evernote sync with your device connected to a wifi network?

• 3 months later...

My friend, as far as I know, some of the providers are blocking this service. Speaking from my personal experience when I was visiting Russia they blocked a lot of services that used to use on a day by day basis. So, maybe, this could be your providers issue, at least your Internet providers issue, as I don't know anything about phone technologies. So, if somebody else has this kind of issue, but struggling it on their PC or laptop's you can try to change your provider as some of them are blocking. If you will be looking for the best provider in your area you can use https://usave.co.uk as it will make this much much easier. You will need to introduce your postcode and the main criteria of your Internet preferences and they will match you the best options available. So go on and try

• Level 5

Probably not a provider issue, at least not if you live in a country where things are not behind a great patriotic firewall (or whatever).

Questionaire (for iOS, I am not familiar with Android):

Is it working when on a WiFi-connection ?

If it is only not working on a mobile connection, is the switch for mobile data set or „ON“ ?

Is there still a data volume available, at least on 3G, better 4G ? On everything like Edge or with a downgraded data link EN will feel as stopped, although a trickle of bits is going though.

If you go to the mobile data in settings, is EN mentioned among the apps that consumed mobile data ?

Is there a firewall or a permanent VPN service that may stop EN from connecting ? You may not be aware of it, but on some company phones (under business management) apps may be restricted.

• 2 months later...

It was like this for me too (I'm using an iOS on WiFi). I managed to get passed that error a few times and tried to log in via my gmail acc, but every time, a different error (Error communicating with evernote servers) popped up. Sometimes, I would get stuck on 'Connecting....' I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app and updating to the latest iOS version but it's still like this.

• Level 5

And ... ?

There are several options described in this thread that may help you. 

First try the same on a mobile data connection. If it is o.k., the problem may be with WiFi.

Second try another WiFi network, like in a Café, bar or hotel. If it connects there, the problem is with a specific WiFi network.

If this is the case, there is probably a security software on this network that blocks your access to EN. If you can influence this (like settings of the firewall), you can try to sort  it out. If not, you can ask the admin to help you - or you accept that (probably a companies) network rules does not allow EN to connect.

Often even if the app is not working, you can use the web client through a browser instead.

This issues is happened to me too. I have an iPhone XsMax and I tried everything you said above for both Wifi and Cellular Data but It didn't work. I've tried

• phone is updated to latest software release 

I think this is a bug on iOS because my Android device is still worked fine. Please have a look

Mine doesn't work either.

I am running on iOS 13.3 and neither wifi nor cellular data works.

and the data setting for the Evernote App is "on" already, of course.

On the Mac, it has no problem, connected to the same wifi.

I tried deleting and reinstalling the app but no luck..

It also has the same problem with Scannable app.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, andrwoo said:

Can someone please help?

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported Forum.  As a subscriber you can use the Support link on Evernote's web pages to request help from the company.

On 5/11/2020 at 8:29 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported Forum.  As a subscriber you can use the Support link on Evernote's web pages to request help from the company.

Yeah i tried to get Evernote’s tech support team’s help, but they are far worse than the help here so far. It’s been 2 days and for iOS login problem, they keep asking to login to web portal on the computer and capture the screen recording...
They just don’t understand the problem and keep tossing me to different person, just wasting my time. 🤦‍♂️

• 5 months later...

Found a fix for “no connection” warning when trying to sign in on iPhone XMax, Evernote version 10.0.4 . I ended up clicking Sign In with Apple ID (which actually created a new account rather than it being link to my Evernote account - you can “add and account” to this new apple acount if you want). Then signed out and signed in with Evernote account UN and PW and everything worked. The only drawback is I now have a redundant apple Evernote account that I don’t find how to delete yet. @evernote any ideas on how to delete that redundant account for this work around? Ta.
Hope this helps someone. LC

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5
On 10/27/2020 at 4:11 PM, blarblarbblar said:

The only drawback is I now have a redundant apple Evernote account that I don’t find how to delete yet. @evernote any ideas on how to delete that redundant account for this work around ? 

Here is how:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056549574-Permanently-close-your-Evernote-account