Help with file attachments

Attached an excel file to a note. If I click on the file icon, rather than open the file it offers to save the file to my desktop. I read that right clicking would open the file but there is no such option when I right click. Am I missing something. This makes no sense at all.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jrjmpls said:

If I click on the file icon, rather than open the file it offers to save the file to my desktop. I read that right clicking would open the file but there is no such option when I right click.

Here's an example of right-click from the Mac platform1454052821_ScreenShot2019-08-14at07_33_46.png.b9bf11e405234e34f80dab9cec9bdca7.png

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, jrjmpls said:

Web

Ah.  The problem there being that you're looking at a web page and an icon,  not the saved note containing the actual file.  It has to be downloaded if you want to edit or view.  - PDF files and images save with the content visible if that's any help...

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jrjmpls said:

Web

If you're editing using the Evernote web client, then I don't think that you can edit a normal attachment that way. You'd need to save it to disk, edit it, and paste it back in. You can do this using the native Windows Evernote client, though.

ALternatively, you may be able to do this for a link to a file on Google Drive, though I haven't use this facility. But attachments, no, not that I know of.

Ok It seems to work on the windows version. But I have bigger problems. I need to import from Onenote to get everything into Evernote. But when I do that I just have a monumental list with every note in onenote. There is no organization. All of the sections and pages are just in one list. This is unusable. I must be missing something, I don't see how anyone could use Evrenote like this. I look at these programs like a file cabinet that has my stuff filed in a manner that I can easily find what I need. What am I missing?

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, jrjmpls said:

I look at these programs like a file cabinet that has my stuff filed in a manner that I can easily find what I need. What am I missing?

I use Evernote as a digital filing cabinet.

The primary note organization tool is the Tag feature.  Have an organized set of tags and assign to notes as appropriate.

Evernote also supports an extensive search feature, documented at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828

I easily find notes, by tags (example tag:Insurance tag:house)
or by text search (example intitle:insurance)
The filtered note list is in date sequence, most recent notes are at the top

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, jrjmpls said:

They apparently were imported with tags the same as the section they were in. But I don't see how that helps. It's still just a list of all notes with no organization.

Then the Tags are the organization mechanism for your notes.

What are you expecting to see for organization?

• Level 5*

OK - you're aware that Evernote has five levels of organisation?

Stacks (containing Notebooks) / Notebooks (containing notes) / Notes (which can include attachments of any kind) / Titles (which can be used to add date related or other note information) / Tags (keywords to classify the content)

There's also a search feature as above.

You're moving from one type of organisation in OneNote - which has a different layout - into this new one.  Best suggestion would be to use Evernote's search function to identify blocks of note from the 'old' layout,  and  move them into notebooks or stacks so you can start to sort things out.

Bear in mind you're subject to all sorts of limits as a 'free' user - you might want to upgrade to premium for at least a month or two to get the much higher levels that will apply.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Titles (which can be used to add date related or other note information)

Might nit-pick here and say EN provides three levels of organization, Stacks - Notebooks  - Tags with the note being the organizationee.  And then there are any other personally developed "taggish" structures like structured titles or keywords anywhere, __keyword in a note for example.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, gazumped said:

five levels of organisation?

10 minutes ago, CalS said:

Might nit-pick here and say EN provides three levels of organization, Stacks - Notebooks  - Tags

Further not-picking
Evernote provides two alternative organizing tools
Stacks/Notebooks    and    Tags

Tags are not a sub-level under Stacks/Notebooks

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

alternative organizing tools

Alternative as in either - or?  I use both...

Let's just say there are many ways to organise your data,  and no matter how unusual,  the one you choose is the best one for you.  Me,  I have quirks.  Many,  many quirks...

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

...but for the purposes of a new user without any personally developed baggage...

So you want to give them some personally developed baggage?  ;):lol:

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Further not-picking
Evernote provides two alternative organizing tools
Stacks/Notebooks    and    Tags

Three in my view, Stacks are embedded in the product and provide another level of search winnowing.  Which speaks organization to me.