Screen doesn't turn off/go to sleep

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

When I have a Note open on-screen on Evernote Android, the normal settings of my android for the phone screen shutting off/going black, are overwritten.

The screen stays on indefinitely. (I've tested it while plugged into a charging cable, and when not plugged in, and it happens in both instances.)

If this is a bug, what can I do about it?

If this is a feature, where do I switch it on and off?

• Level 5*

Hi.  When I have an Android note open I have no trouble switching off the screen manually with the 'off' button.  I haven't ever left the device on to see how long it lasts...  Is there a particular reason you need the screen to close down after an interval?

• Level 5*

On my phone, with Evernote open and a  note on-screen, the screen goes off as normal after a couple of minutes, both while on battery or charging.

Edit: this with a Droid Turbo phone, Android 6.0.1, Evernote version 8.11.

Edit Edit: OK, this is weird. I had a few thoughts on the way home, and when I got here, I'm not seeing the screen turn off any more. Seemingly same scenario. Now I'm not sure just exactly what's up.

Anyways, a setting for this would be nice. I would want the screen to stay on when I'm in a meeting, most of the rest of the time, I'd be fine with it turning off.

Oh, and I wonder whether motion sensor input might be useful, as in don't turn it off if the device moves withing some time frame.

29 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Is there a particular reason you need the screen to close down after an interval?

The same reason you'd want your phone to automatically shut off the screen after a while in any other app. I don't see why Evernote should be an exception, unless of course you turn on a setting where you ask it to stay lit.

@jefito Weird! So our phones are doing different things... I hope I'm not the only one this is happening to, and that someone can help me out.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, jefito said:

the screen goes off as normal after a couple of minutes

Hmmn.  Just tried my Android phone on battery - screen timeout is set to 2 minutes but I manually turn the screen off out of habit.  Evernote 8.11 does stay on indefinitely if I'm looking at a note - other apps politely go away after 2 minutes.  I can recall some complaints in the forums about Evernote timing out when people were following recipes or working through instructions - maybe this was a 'feature' intended to help them.  I'll raise a ticket.

Edit: Raised #2887567 - I'll let you know the outcome...

2 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

A long-standing feature, not a bug. For further reading, see the also long-standing request that it be removed or made optional

Thanks for the info -- Yeah, like I asked in the original post: "If this is a feature, where do I switch it on and off?"

I don't have a problem with it being a feature, but if it's a feature that overrides your phone's normal functions, then it should have an on-off switch, absolutely. Especially if it has the potential to be an accidental huge battery-drainer.

• Like 1

Everybody who would like Evernote to make this feature (that overrides my phone's settings!?!) to be optional, or removed, please visit the link and vote the request up (up arrow, left side, next to title of post)

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/100180-request-screen-timeout-options/

Edited by John in Michigan USA
make link into hyperlink!
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 7/29/2019 at 4:51 PM, Oddball said:

@jefito Weird! So our phones are doing different things... I hope I'm not the only one this is happening to, and that someone can help me out.

Well, the weird thing is that my phone exhibited two different behaviors in the same day. Hard for me to understand what's going on, though I won't rule out user error...

• 4 months later...

"Keep on" can be a beneficial feature some of the time (e.g. referring to a recipe), but other times it is a menace, and definitely should be an option, where the default is to power off normally, and a button could be added as a "hold open mode" in specific cases, upon request, and a user setting should be added to set up default behaviour.

This is an even bigger problem with Android because it combines with the "double tap to edit" feature which makes it too easy to accidentally open edit mode. (Wish we could turn THAT off, too, because there is a floating button already available anyway.) Due to both of these "features" I often run into the problem of leaving the phone on in my pocket (it does not auto off) and then butt-selecting (think butt-dialing) the text and replacing it with nonsense....UPDATE: while writing this I tested to see the double-tap to measure the time interval between taps and discovered it does not need a double-tap....just a single tap, wait 3 seconds, and you are in edit mode! WAY too easy to pop into edit note when reading or scrolling  a note to read it! (I should start another thread on this...)