Searching Tags on Tag-View Screen, Creates a Mess of the Tag Hierarchies/Nested Tag-Folders!

I'm using EN-for-Windows, version 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897).

After reading through the recent "Nesting Multiple Notebooks" post, I made the distinction that it's not an either/or argument re EN Notebooks and Tags, but instead for me it will now be both!

I concluded that as I use EN-for-Windows, vs other platforms, more than 95% of the time, that using Tag Hierarchies (Nested Tag Folders) on the Tag View Screen (CTRL+SHIFT+T) or from Left Panel would be even easier than the existing method I use for searching or looking up info, which again I do visually (I don't like EN search functionality, think it's ineffective and takes longer then navigating visually) by navigating through Stacks > Notebooks > Note Titles (whilst in snippet view).

Now even though a BIG reason I purchased EN was for its cross-platform usability, I have accepted the fact that EN did NOT apply this same cross-platform logic to give us the same Tag Hierarchies/Nested Tag functionality on IOS or Android, but I can live with that.

So here I am re-organising/labelling and cleaning up all my Tags, and I was struck by the inability EN have given us to Collapse/Un-collapse all Tags.  

This becomes a real pain when you do a Tag Search from the Tag-View Screen, and you've already got many many Nested Tags/Tag Hierarchies... because as soon as you start typing the first letters of the Tag you're looking for, EN highlights, and automatically expands every Tag in the Tag-hierarchy where Tags contain those letters.  

The issue - is that after doing the search and clearing the search field, you can't re-collapse everything!!!  You're just left with one big mess of fully expanded Tags/Tag Folders in both the Tag-View screen/Left panel Tags. Which unlike manually having to collapse 2 levels of Stacks and Notebooks is a big job when you've got lots of levels/deeply nested Tag Folders

I'm pretty sure that they gave us Tag Hierarchies to make things easier, more user friendly, right?  Then doesn't it stand to reason, that we should be able to easily collapse/un-collapse all Tags again after using that Tag-View search field?  

And what about the right-click Tag option of 'remember view settings'... I can't see what if anything this does...anyone know??? 

This is only a temporary issue, as once all my Tags are organised I will no longer need the TAG-View-Screen search field... But please EN:

1. Make Tag Hierarchies available on all platforms
  2. Make ALL Tags/Tag Hierarchies easily collapsible / un-collapsible

Please and thank you

I just noticed the little search magnifying-glass icon to the right of the 'Tags' label/button (next to the '+' icon), in the Left Panel. 

I gave it a shot at searching, and to my surprise it did not result in expanding all the Tag Hierarchies as discussed above, great.

But... the difference with this search function, is that with each letter entered into this search field, EN only looks for these letters when/where they occur at the BEGINNING of your Tags Labels... as opposed to to the finding the letters ANYWHERE in the Tag Label when using the Tag-Search field on the Tags-View screen!!! 

Can't figure why they would make this different?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

I just noticed the little search magnifying-glass icon to the right of the 'Tags' label/button (next to the '+' icon), in the Left Panel. 

I gave it a shot at searching, and to my surprise it did not result in expanding all the Tag Hierarchies as discussed above, great.

But... the difference with this search function, is that with each letter entered into this search field, EN only looks for these letters when/where they occur at the BEGINNING of your Tags Labels... as opposed to to the finding the letters ANYWHERE in the Tag Label when using the Tag-Search field on the Tags-View screen!!! 

Can't figure why they would make this different?

In the version  I'm using (6.17.2.8206), the search field in three Tags View and the search control on the Tags header in the left panel both do infix matching on tag names -- they match tags that have those characters anywhere in tag name. In other words, if I type "od", both will return a list containing my "Todo" tag. This is handy for finding tags in your tag collection. This is that same as the tag search filter that you get when you click on the tag icon in the search area of the note list, or use the Alt+Shift+T hotkey.

But if you're referring to the difference between that and Evernote tag searches (i.e. tag:MyTag" , Evernote tag searches are supposed to match the documented Evernote search language documented here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php. For tags, that means it's an exact match, or a strict prefix search  if you use a trailing '*' wildcard  (matches tags that have those charcters at the start of the tag name). Those are searches that are used on the Evernote servers, so they need to be consistent across all Evernote platforms.

So two different contexts, and so two different search implementations.

That being said, it would of course be nice to have a more flexible search language, including infox searching for tags, etc. etc. Suggestions like these have been around for years.

Edit: btw, the infix matching that goes on in the tag picker is configurable: Tools / Options / Navigation / "Match tags by word prefix in the Tag Picker"

14 hours ago, jefito said:

the search field in three Tags View and the search control on the Tags header in the left panel both do infix matching on tag names

Before ...it didn't for me, just the prefix

14 hours ago, jefito said:

btw, the infix matching that goes on in the tag picker is configurable: Tools / Options / Navigation / "Match tags by word prefix in the Tag Picker

After doing as quoted above, the tag-picker, left panel search now does 'infix' as you say perfectly...yeehah.  And now I have a way of searching without making mess of the Tag Hierarchies in the Tags View screen... many thanks 😊

Finally do you @jefito or @CalS or @gazumped or @DTLow or anyone know/have an answer re...quoted below

On 1/4/2019 at 2:39 PM, RavBoy said:

And what about the right-click Tag option of 'remember view settings'... I can't see what if anything this does...anyone know??? 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, RavBoy said:

what about the right-click Tag option of 'remember view settings'

Oh yeah - when you search,  it's possible to sort the results by title or tags or the various created/ updated/ reminder dates - plus presumably any other field you can see if you right-click the column headers.  I sort one search by title forinstance,  but another by reminder date.  I use the 'view settings' to always see that order in my different searches.

Yeah I've noticed the 'remember view settings' right-click menu option appears when a specific Notebook, Tag, and/or Saved Search is selected. 

I can see the saved view settings effect on an individual Notebook or Saved Searches, as evidenced by the highlighted tick that later appears to the left of the 'remember view settings' menu option....   But this does not happen when doing the same thing on the Tags View screen, but it does when selecting Tags from the Left Panel !!!  Can't figure it out...

EDIT...ok I got it it just doesnt work from Tags selected within the Tags View Screen...ahh the simple things

Archived