Move "All Notes" to the top

stevenote

Idea

I am a heavy evernote user, and frequently and systematically switch between items in the shortcuts and "All Notes". To do this, I have to collapses and expand the shortcuts over and over. A real pain in the <insert body part>! One of my heavy uses is to capture something to Evernote (via app and/or menu feature), and then want to view and use it quickly. Selecting "All notes" immediately gives me a chronological list, with my urgently added and quickly needed item on top - that is, after I collapse the other links on the side : - (. Please do some user testing around this, I'd bet you'd find that it would be clear cut improvement appreciated by users. Honestly, I collapse and expand the shortcuts on the side 10-20 times a day. Whereas, if the All Notes was on the top, I could keep my shortcuts open and accessible and have the heavy use "All Notes" feature displayed all the time.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Which device/platform?

How about adding a shortcut search for All Notes.  This allows you to stay in Shortcuts.

On my Mac, I can keep the Shortcuts expanded in the sidebar.

• Level 5*

Or Win+Shift+F (the default in Tools - Options - Shortcut keys) will get you there from anywhere on your machine.  F6 works solely within EN.

Neither returns the note list to the top, but that's another story...

I was like the OP (Steve) in seeking this, to be able to move/force the "all notes" option to be above the list of shortcuts, for the same reasons. So thanks for those who shared ideas here. Between the two, perhaps they will suit Steve's needs. They do, mine.

As for the F6 shortcut alternative, for those who perhaps cannot remember it, or just really want an "all notes" option on the top of the shortcuts list, here's what I did when I first learned of it: I created a note whose title was "f6 for all notes", and I put that note in the shortcuts list as the first shortcut. That approximates what we sought. 🙂 And eventually my fingers would remember and I could remove it. 

But then I saw here s2sailor's idea of modifying the toolbar instead to add "all notes" there. Now, perhaps some of you in this boat with Steve and me may think this is about EN's feature to put the shortcuts up there on the toolbar. That's not desirable for us who have LOTS of shortcuts. 🙂 But to be clear, this is instead about right-clicking the toolbar, choosing "customize", and then dragging the word "all notes" (one of many offered options) to the toolbar. That's an even better alternative for many, I'm sure. 

Between these two options I could live without being able to move the "all notes" option on the left. How about you, Steve (or others with the concern)?

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, carehart said:

But then I saw here s2sailor's idea of modifying the toolbar instead to add "all notes" there. Now, perhaps some of you in this boat with Steve and me may think this is about EN's feature to put the shortcuts up there on the toolbar. That's not desirable for us who have LOTS of shortcuts. 🙂 But to be clear, this is instead about right-clicking the toolbar, choosing "customize", and then dragging the word "all notes" (one of many offered options) to the toolbar. That's an even better alternative for many, I'm sure. 

I think that everyone who responded here understands what this is 'about'. It's pretty clear what was asked for; we Evernote users can't fix things, but alternatives/workarounds exist (viable or not for a particular person's usage) and those were what was offered. Of course, the original poster hasn't responded in over 3 months, so it's hard to tell if those helped or not.

Archived