Saved searches not working in latest version

This has already been noted on the mac forum but after six months there is no resolution.

Saved searches in the windows version (6.11.2) are also not returning results. This is a significant problem for many of us who have created numerous saved searches to facilitate accessing notes among the thousands we have. 

A couple of observations.

• I have noted that the latest Evernote installed on Windows 7 and 10 behave differently with saved searches. 
  • The web version and app on iOS work fine with the same saved searches
  • I fortunately had an install file for an older version (6.5.4.4720) which I have installed and the saved searches work well. Not sure what version introduced the bug, but I would rather be running a version that is over two years old that works than a new version that does not!

I am disappointed that Evernote tech support does not seem to be reading the posts on this forum or at least acknowledging that they are and let us know they are working on a solution!

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, JimCom said:

I am disappointed that Evernote tech support does not seem to be reading the posts on this forum

Hi.  This is a (mainly) user-supported forum completely separate from the Support team who are available on https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action if you're a subscriber,  or Twitter - https://twitter.com/evernotehelps if the support link won't work for you,  or if you're not a subscriber.  Evernote's developers read the posts at their leisure for general feedback and ideas,  but will keep an eye mainly on faults reported in the release threads for the latest version.  To get some direct feedback from Evernote,  it's always best to report an issue directly.

• Level 5*
On 5/19/2018 at 8:51 PM, JimCom said:

This has already been noted on the mac forum but after six months there is no resolution.

Saved searches in the windows version (6.11.2) are also not returning results. This is a significant problem for many of us who have created numerous saved searches to facilitate accessing notes among the thousands we have. 

A couple of observations.

• I have noted that the latest Evernote installed on Windows 7 and 10 behave differently with saved searches. 
  • The web version and app on iOS work fine with the same saved searches
  • I fortunately had an install file for an older version (6.5.4.4720) which I have installed and the saved searches work well. Not sure what version introduced the bug, but I would rather be running a version that is over two years old that works than a new version that does not!

I am disappointed that Evernote tech support does not seem to be reading the posts on this forum or at least acknowledging that they are and let us know they are working on a solution!

Any consistency in how the searches don't work?

• Level 5*

Specifics really help, e.g. are you having trouble with text searches? Tag searches? Date searches? What inconsistencies are you seeing vs. the Evernote client types?

• 2 weeks later...

Version 6.11.2.7027 (307027)  running on Windows 7 and also on Windows 10

Saved searches that return 0 results are those that contain operator "any", for example:

Any: tag:Admin* tag:Budget* 

• As a saved search it returns 0 results
  • Under search notes box the query is erroneously listed as "All"

image.png.7f18073c027fa065d09d69a19dabf266.png

• Change "All" dropdown to "Any" results in all conditions being reset:

image.png.202fb178020d4020ab4e4af1a855ef49.png

• If the same search conditions are pasted directly into the search bar the search performs without any problems

image.png.8368bd3157b3745f0fd01ba4333d5739.png

On the Windows 10 machine, clicking between different saved searches on occasion, and without any logical series of steps that can be replicated, the search will return the 37 notes. Most of the time it does not work though and behaves as described above.

Lastly, knowing that this had not been a problem in the past I chose to go back to an earlier version. I have installed version 6.5.4.4720 both on Windows 7 and Windows 10. The same saved search returns the full set of results consistently (37 notes).  I have not tried any other versions so it is not clear to me when the bug cropped up between Version 6.5.xx and 6.11.xx.

I have reported this as a bug but wanted to share on this forum.

As I noted on my earlier post, the same issue has already been noted by mac users as far back as November 2017 with posts continuing until mid-May.

As an update; technical support responded to my ticket:

We're currently aware of this issue and working on a fix that will be in an upcoming release. You'll receive an in-app message when the next update is available. Additionally, you can always select Help>Check for Updates

In the meantime I will continue to use an earlier version.

• 1 month later...

Tried the latest update and the issue persists (6.13.14.7474 (307474) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483)). This has been going on for a year with no resolution.

I will continue to use the earlier version but I am losing my patience.

• 3 weeks later...

This is still an issue on latest version 6.13.14.7474 as stated above.  Any updates?  I also had to revert to a previous version 6.5.4.4720 to restore this functionality.

Please resolve this issue.  Advanced saved searches are a must in a tool that houses so much data with numerous tagging.

I recently did this as advised in a post above:

As an update; technical support responded to my ticket:

We're currently aware of this issue and working on a fix that will be in an upcoming release. You'll receive an in-app message when the next update is available. Additionally, you can always select Help>Check for Updates

It is now 08/08/18 and on latest version still broken.  Working version 6.5.4 went GA on 3/21/2017 so nearly 18 months of broken functionality.  Please fix this.

I do have an update. I downloaded the latest beta version (6.14.2.7587 ) and it has been resolved. I would recommend using that version until it is officially released.  You can do so by going into General settings and selecting "Enable beta features and updates".  

• Level 5*
52 minutes ago, JimCom said:

I do have an update. I downloaded the latest beta version (6.14.2.7587 ) and it has been resolved. I would recommend using that version until it is officially released.  You can do so by going into General settings and selecting "Enable beta features and updates".  

I would advise anyone thinking of switching to go to the beta announcement link and read the reported issues thoroughly before updating to it: 

• 6 months later...

Well, I am very sorry (and disappointed) to say that the saved search issue has resurfaced. Not sure in which version it cropped up but I am currently running 6.17.6.8292 (308292) Public (CE Build ce-62.1.7539) and only just noticed it again. Without rehashing the current specifics as they are pretty much the same as those I outlined in my earlier post of this thread (May 29, 2018), the summary is that saved searches are returning incomplete results. This is determined by comparison across different platforms (windows desktop vs iPhone app) and manual searches.

One of the greatest strengths of Evernote is in the ability to search for results. If this basic function cannot be completed or is inconsistent/unpredictable then it really diminishes the value of Evernote. It is really hard to fathom how this bug keeps cropping up.

• Level 5*

I see this working in the latest beta 6.18.1.8300 (308300) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.1.7539).

I specifically tested saved searches using the any: term. For example: any: resource:application/pdf tag:admin worked fine. Also: stack:@Work any: created:week-1 updated:week-1.

I'll leave aside any metaphysical speculation as to why bugs occur....

Not working for the following:

updated:day-7

Several other more complex, multi parameter searches are giving inconsistent results e.g. Any: tag:SM* tag:Some*

Most other searches appear fine, and that is what is troubling. Many of us may not even realize a problem exists in our searches and stumble across them as I just did. I guess I need to remember to check all my searches each time up upgrade versions. Really, that is not what I want to be spending my time on.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:56 AM, JimCom said:

Not working for the following:

updated:day-7

Several other more complex, multi parameter searches are giving inconsistent results e.g. Any: tag:SM* tag:Some*

Most other searches appear fine, and that is what is troubling. Many of us may not even realize a problem exists in our searches and stumble across them as I just did. I guess I need to remember to check all my searches each time up upgrade versions. Really, that is not what I want to be spending my time on.

UPDATE:

If anybody else is having this issue, Evernote support suggested the following approach:

While we wait for a fix, you can reinstall version 6.15 using these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, select File > Exit from the menu bar to exit the Evernote app
  2. Click the 'Start' button to open your Start menu
  3. Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program
  4. Select Evernote, then click Uninstall
  5. Restart your computer
  6. Exit Internet Explorer and Outlook (if installed & open)
  7. Download and install (as an administrator) Evernote for Windows from http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.15.4.7934.exe
  8. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account

Archived