Date and time stamp on email note to help when appending text above an email

FritzG

Hi,

I'll often use the email feature to add an email to Evernote.  Quite often I will then append notes above that email so what I would like to be able to do is open the email in Evernote and then when I add the text above the email, somehow I would like to pick up the date and time the email was sent in, almost like what happens when you forward or reply to an email.  I turn my emails into working notes, e.g. contact someone about a job and then I talk to them on the phone

I'd like it to show something like below whereas as soon as I edit that note it appends the sent date and time.

Any ideas?

New text note are added here

----------------------------------------

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 8:20 PM, Homer Simpson <homer.simpson@gmail.com> wrote:           <-----  Evernote adds this in

Hi, Evernote is a great tool

If I send an email about a potential work opportunity I BCC it to me Evernote email address then when I call the person I add the date and time of my call in above the email and then each new conversation about that, i.e. newest conversation at the top.  If I edit a note from an email there is no easy way to put the created time and date in there before I add the text.

• Level 5*
On 2017-12-22 at 5:18 AM, FritzG said:

open the email in Evernote and then when I add the text above the email, somehow I would like to pick up the date and time the email was sent in

You might look at an alternate method for transfering your email to Evernote

I tried a third party product on my Mac (like Mail Butler).  I switched to scripting; it gives me complete control on how the note  is formatted

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, FritzG said:

If I send an email about a potential work opportunity I BCC it to me Evernote email address then when I call the person I add the date and time of my call in above the email and then each new conversation about that, i.e. newest conversation at the top.  If I edit a note from an email there is no easy way to put the created time and date in there before I add the text.

Yeah, when you bcc: to EN the mail header info does not appear in the note, don’t know why not.  My fix has been a two step process:  first send the email, then go to the sent folder and forward that sent mail.  A PITA, though a minor one for my use case since it doesn’t happen that often.  FWIW. 

• Level 5*
On 24/12/2017 at 2:18 PM, CalS said:

Yeah, when you bcc: to EN the mail header info does not appear in the note, don’t know why not.  My fix has been a two step process:  first send the email, then go to the sent folder and forward that sent mail.  A PITA, though a minor one for my use case since it doesn’t happen that often.  FWIW. 

Similar thought here,  except I can BCC to a Gmail address and use IFTTT or (maybe?) Gmail Rules to recognise specific emails (like ones that come from my 'other' Gmail address) and forward those to Evernote.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Similar thought here,  except I can BCC to a Gmail address and use IFTTT or (maybe?) Gmail Rules to recognise specific emails (like ones that come from my 'other' Gmail address) and forward those to Evernote.

I tried forwarding from a bcc a few years back and couldn’t get it to work.  :(  Maybe it is time to give it a go again. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Yeah, still doesn't work for me.  the email is forwarded to EN through the intermediate account, but the email header info (to/from/date etc.) does not make the journey to the note.  :(

On 12/24/2017 at 2:16 AM, FritzG said:

Hi Fritz — I have read this question and the replies and I feel like I may be missing something. It sounds like you want to know when *Evernote received the email* regardless of when your email originally received it, or what you did to follow up after. Do I have that right?

If so, Evernote always shows the "Created on" and "Updated on" dates above the note body, and you could always type those in the body to help your notetaking, even if you receive the email a day before you send it in, and you follow up (update the note) a couple days after you send it into Evernote.

If you want the actual time and minute, that info stays captured in the "Note Info" metadata under Note > Show Note Info or at the (i) icon. 

Hope this helps? 

On 12/24/2017 at 2:16 AM, FritzG said:

Are you looking for an "Insert Date and Time" shortcut, besides just looking at the "Created On" date field above?

• Level 5*

I was playing around with options (see above) for when my "Clip from Outlook" button doesn't work,  because BCC doesn't include the note header and Forwarding means the mail has to come back to me (BCC if it's my outbound reply) first,  then get sent onwards.  There are a few steps,  and it's not easy to annotate the note afterward,  because it takes a few minutes to get into my account and get synced down from Evernote Central.

One thing I set up was a "quick steps" shortcut in my Outlook (2013 - YMMV).  I added a standard tag to the title line (below).  Sadly the <sent> field doesn't automagically show a date,  but it's pretty easy to add one each day for mail received during that day.  Then one button click sends to Evernote (my account address blurred out).  Other options are available - make as many QS buttons as you have options.

Clipboard-1.jpg.974f785dfc9f29724abd758800787f58.jpg

• Level 5*

End of the day for me it came down to forwarding the sent email in order to get the sent email header info to show up in EN, bcc just doesn't work.  I got some brain damage trying to fix this a few years back with rules and multiple accounts, never got it.  :(

• 9 months later...
On 1/9/2018 at 5:05 AM, CalS said:

End of the day for me it came down to forwarding the sent email in order to get the sent email header info to show up in EN, bcc just doesn't work.  I got some brain damage trying to fix this a few years back with rules and multiple accounts, never got it.  :(

Slow to respond but yep, this is what I concluded I need to do now....  Thanks for your help.

Archived