iPad Pro - Apple Pencil integration in notes

emilio_n

Idea

18 replies to this idea

On 10/1/2017 at 7:12 AM, DTLow said:

I usually switch to an alternate editor like Notability

(I cannot recall if I already asked) Have you tried LiquidText on your iPad? I have just tried it and it has some INCREDIBLE features (that take a bit of getting used to). I would pay more for premium if it meant to have some or all of those features.

I'm using Onenote instead of Evernote, whilst I fact I Evernote because of the many functionalities. Can you please listen to our plea. I prefer to use the apple pen instead of typing. How do I mark on a text, highlight with Apple pencil and why can't my text and handwriting not be integrated as with Onenote?

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Guest David Bolduc said:

It’s too long for integrate the Apple Pencil directly in notes ? What are you waiting guy’s ! Common

What kind of integration are you looking for?

Your're working with a note in html format; image files can be added as attachments (sketch feature)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, IST64 said:

GoodNote appears to be best option for that at the moment, but it doesn’t have all of the other features of Evernote. 

I address this as separate functions; GoodNotes and Notability are good editors for annotation amd using the Apple Pencil.  Evernote remains my choice for filing my documents

On 27/02/2018 at 1:23 AM, stocky2605 said:

I do both - text and handwritten notes in a single Evernote note. Typing text and writing (Sketch tool) works well, better than OneNote I‘d say - because in OneNote there is no „connection“ between handwriting and text - inserting new text moves only the next and not the handwriting - while in Evernote, due to it‘s line based approach, both is moving whren inserting something new.

Search works also, but not so good as it could - if you search within a note NO handwriting is found - if you do a ‚global search‘ then hamdwriting may be found. Unfortunately often the highlighting of found text doesn‘t show up - one of the many little issues with EN.

Searching in GoodNotes, to do a comparison, works much better.

I too do both; however, the handwritten element (in sketch insert) are not searchable.  

I used to hand write notes in a moleskine notebook and save photos of the pages in Evernote; these handwritten notes were searchable, but the process of photographing each page was painful.  This was the main driver behind buying an iPad Pro and pencil, so I could write directly onto the screen.  GoodNote appears to be best option for that at the moment, but it doesn’t have all of the other features of Evernote. 

Liquid Text is an excellent app, that is optimise for the Apple Pencil. As a tool for researching and making annotations on imported pdfs, it is hard to beat.  Unfortunately, a limitation appears to be when using it as a tool to mark up pdfs.  Normally the reason to do this is to share with colleagues to pass on comments on instruct change.  It might just be me, but I can’t find a way of sharing the clever  ark ups, unless the other person has the app too.

Notwithstanding how good it is with Apple Pencil, it’s not a note taking platfor, so doesn’t address the main point of the thread.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, macneilpi said:

Have you tried LiquidText on your iPad?

I haven't tried it; right now I'm not reviewing many documents but I might check it out in the future

It would be helpful if instead of CAPITALIZING a single, vague adjective... you just included a description of what those features are. You sound more like you work for the LiquidText sales team with a post like that!

On 25.2.2018 at 4:45 PM, IST64 said:

Ive just come across this post while asking the same question as emilio_n.

I too cannot believe that incorporating the ability to write notes directly into the notes page, and having that handwritten text searchable (as in GoodNotes), isn’t a no-brainer for Evernote.  To be so ahead in so many areas (why I chose Evernote as my platform for all things notes) and then not keep up with the available tech, doesn’t make much sense to me.

I really don’t want to be taking notes in another application and exporting them to Evernote.  This might be enough to cause me to change my platform. 

I do both - text and handwritten notes in a single Evernote note. Typing text and writing (Sketch tool) works well, better than OneNote I‘d say - because in OneNote there is no „connection“ between handwriting and text - inserting new text moves only the next and not the handwriting - while in Evernote, due to it‘s line based approach, both is moving whren inserting something new.

Search works also, but not so good as it could - if you search within a note NO handwriting is found - if you do a ‚global search‘ then hamdwriting may be found. Unfortunately often the highlighting of found text doesn‘t show up - one of the many little issues with EN.

Searching in GoodNotes, to do a comparison, works much better.

Ive just come across this post while asking the same question as emilio_n.

I too cannot believe that incorporating the ability to write notes directly into the notes page, and having that handwritten text searchable (as in GoodNotes), isn’t a no-brainer for Evernote.  To be so ahead in so many areas (why I chose Evernote as my platform for all things notes) and then not keep up with the available tech, doesn’t make much sense to me.

I really don’t want to be taking notes in another application and exporting them to Evernote.  This might be enough to cause me to change my platform. 

I’m shocked that this is even in question from Evernote’s side. I am struggling to find every reason to stick with Evernote and renew my premium membership next year, but as a full time student, I live and die by my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. The trend is to become MORE relevant and MORE compatible with the technology I am trying to use a product with... and Evernote just can’t keep up! 

Not being able to be more functional than iOS Note, which is free just tells me I am wasting my money by paying for Evernote. This is a real shame, because when I began using Evernote, it was the most functional and forward moving app for notes and document storage... now, I get the exact opposite message when I read responses from Evernote staff like this. 

My request is to go back to the front of the pack and set the pace, not run backwards!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, emilio_n said:

I mean that I can write a note and Underline, make hand annotations in the margin of the text ... Not only add images made with the Apple pencil not connected to the main text. If I capture a web page, the possibility of adding handwritten text in the capture itself.

So your question is not specific to Apple Pencil; it’s about annotating which can be done with any stylus (or your finger)

Evernote has annotation features, but not for notes; only images or PDFs.  You’d have to capture the web page as an image or pdf, or convert the note

>>How is your workflow? capture the webpage in Notability, add the notes there and then export to Evernote?

I was thinking about note taking and using the Notability editor instead of the Evernote editor.  

Yes, I export to Evernote for filing

Hi DTLow,

Thanks for your answer.

I mean that I can write a note and Underline, make hand annotations in the margin of the text ... Not only add images made with the Apple pencil not connected to the main text. If I capture a web page, the possibility of adding handwritten text in the capture itself. I do not know if I can explain ...

How is your workflow? capture the webpage in Notability, add the notes there and then export to Evernote?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, emilio_n said:

Is planned to add the functionality to write with the apple pencil directly in the notes as works for example in OneNote?Ia one of the points to use Evernote Premium or move to other alternative. 

Not clear what specific Apple Pencil feature you're looking for

Evernote has a sketch feature that inserts images into a note.  It's available to all account levels, and works with Apple Pencil
I don't find it works that well.  I usually switch to an alternate editor like Notability

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're a -mainly- user-supported forum,  and Evernote don't (usually) pre-announce,  leak or otherwise comment on possible upcoming features;  so in this case your guess...

However we do have a Feature Requests thread,  to which I moved your post.  If a lot of other users think this is a good idea they'll vote with the button in the top left corner.  (Unfortunately you can't start this off,  because the first post is yours.)

If a lot of users get on board and vote,  the idea might be added to a future update whether or not it's in consideration now.

Archived