Offline note download problems

patnpm

Idea

New iphone 7 and fully updated ios Evernote 7.17

I'm having real problems getting my offline files downloaded. 

I've got a lot of notes ( 17k) in about 20 notebooks.

Download 'all files' didn't come close to downloading everything, even if left overnight a couple of times.

Trying to download individual notebooks is hit and miss. I emptied my 'inbox' down to a single note and it still wouldn't download the whole notebook.

Anybody else having problems?

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, patnpm said:

New iphone 7 and fully updated ios Evernote 7.17

I'm having real problems getting my offline files downloaded. 

I've got a lot of notes ( 17k) in about 20 notebooks.

Download 'all files' didn't come close to downloading everything, even if left overnight a couple of times.

Trying to download individual notebooks is hit and miss. I emptied my 'inbox' down to a single note and it still wouldn't download the whole notebook.

Anybody else having problems?

I found it to be a very slow process; I just left it to churn away and eventually everything was downloaded
You can get a indication of the progress by going to the notebook page.

Yeah, the offline notes feature is basically a tire fire. Downloaded notes sometimes get silently deleted during regular app updates, and Evernote does a terrible job of downloading them even if you turn off the feature, clear your cache, and re-enable them. It doesn't seem to be able to do much of it in the background, so you just have to leave the app open for extended periods and hope that another future bug doesn't delete them all again without telling you.

• Level 5*

There is another thread on this - which I can't find now...  I think @s2sailor commented that opening each offline note attachment seems to 'fix' the download (and confirms to you that it's complete) - assuming that it's feasible to click on every note attachment in the offline notebook...  :(

Edit:  and also...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

There is another thread on this - which I can't find now...  I think @s2sailor commented that opening each offline note attachment seems to 'fix' the download (and confirms to you that it's complete) - assuming that it's feasible to click on every note attachment in the offline notebook...  :(

Edit:  and also...

I think there are two issues that Evernote could improve on.  The first is the initial download. I designate "only" about 5K notes to be offline but find even that to be a long and tedious affair on the iphone.  It takes several days for all of them to download and as I recall (only do this when I get a new phone and it has been a while so I'm a little fuzzy on the details) I have to restart the download several times before all of the notes appear, but they do eventually all download. @patnpm, instead of 17K you might consider approaching this notebook by notebook in smaller chunks.  I saw the comment about the inbox but wasn't sure if that was in combination with a request for a greater download.

The second issue is after the initial download is complete I have found that new notes in the offline notebook do download as they should but sometimes an attachment in one of those notes may not be downloaded.  I learned this the hard way on an international trip one time, so now, anytime I know I will be off the grid for a while, I will check to make sure any attachments I may need are there.  I'll put the phone in airplane mode and check the attachments in any important notes.  If I find any that can't be downloaded, I'll take the phone out of airplane mode, try again, enabling the attachment to download.  Once that happens, I have found the attachment is available later when I'm offline.

This has been occurring as long as I can remember.  It is not often that I am offline and when I am there are usually a limited number of notes that I know I may need to access, so checking them beforehand isn't that big of a deal, but it would be very nice if this just worked seamlessly on the iphone.

Yes, I've managed to download the smaller notebooks, its the bigger 10k notes notebooks I've got to work on now. Can't help feeling it should all be easier really. There is no way I can click on all the attachments. 

Archived