WIndows 7 (32-bit)

HELP!  I have been using Evernote at work for almost 3 years and have all my experimental data and results there.  I can access all my files through the website (evernote.com) and well as my home computer (HP, Windows 10).  However, I have been having problems for months on my work computer (Dell, Windows 7 32-bit).  I can download and install the software, but when I try to sync all of the notebooks, it "fails" about half way through.  I have tried:

• Uninstalling and re-installing current version of Evernote (6.2.4)
  • Uninstalling and re-installing older versin of Evernote (6.1)
  • Exporting notes from a working computer and then trying to import into the re-installed software

Is this a Windows 7 problem?  I can have my company upgrade my work computer to Windows 10, but to do that, they are going to wipe my computer completely (something I don't want done if at all possible).

Can I get a different (earlier) version of Evernote to work (and will that itself cause syncing issues)?

I like the desktop version so much better than the website - PLUS I don't have to be online to make updates (so I can do my work from anywhere at anytime).

Please help me!

Sue Foltin

• Level 5*

Hi.  You say you can 'access' all your files on your home computer.  Does this mean you use the web access,  or do you have an installed app logged into the same account,  so that you have a complete database saved on your home hard drive?

Your work computer will be behind a corporate firewall,  which is probably at least partly to blame for your download issues.  'Importing' your files on another computer is not a good idea because that's adding them to your account again.  The best result you will get is duplicates of everything.

I'd recommend that you (re)install Evernote on the work computer and create another Basic account.  Make sure you can use the new installation without problems before you add all your existing notes to the pot.  Don't save anything important in the new account though - we're going to try to give it a personality change.

If you already have a working installed version of Evernote at home,  on that computer -

• Open Evernote and use Tools > Options > General to click on "open database folder".  A Windows Explorer window should pop up.
  • Go back to Evernote and use File > Exit to close it down.
  • Back to the Explorer window again - click the up arrow directly left of the address bar once
  • You should then see the list of folders shown in the picture.
  • Select (click on) the Databases folder and copy to a thumb drive
  • Close the window - leave Evernote closed at home.

Bring your thumb drive to work and attach it to your work computer.  Follow the steps above to find out where the Databases folder lives,  but this time drag it from its current location to the desktop.  Copy the thumb drive folder into its place.

• cross fingers
  • restart Evernote and log in to your original account

Click 'sync' (if it doesn't start automatically) to allow Evernote to shake hands from its new location.

NB I don't believe there's any problem in sharing files or folders from one Windows version to another,  but Evernote databases might be a different issue - I'd make sure that you have the same version  installed at work as you have at home.

If bad things happen - you can try an alternative process.  Move the Databases folder you moved to the desktop back into position and keep that 2nd Basic account for work if it seems happy there behind the firewall.  Share notebooks from your home account to the new one with full editing rights. 

You should be able to use the shared notebooks from either login.

It s possible that the firewall will continue to cause problems with the account,  but that's just nature's way of telling you your employer takes security seriously - and reaching out to third party sites isn't something that is possible from that location.

Any questions,  please post back!  :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, labbrenner said:

HELP!  I have been using Evernote at work for almost 3 years and have all my experimental data and results there.  I can access all my files through the website (evernote.com) and well as my home computer (HP, Windows 10).  However, I have been having problems for months on my work computer (Dell, Windows 7 32-bit).  I can download and install the software, but when I try to sync all of the notebooks, it "fails" about half way through. 

Can you give us some details on the "fail"   What are you seeing?

There's an activity log that might provide some details.

Archived