Search Google Drive Docs by title

• Level 5*

OK.  So if I start a new note and want to attach something from Google I click the 'attachment' option and choose Google Drive from the window.  I can scroll around until I find the existing file I want to attach to my note.  I can choose and save that connection.  The content of the attached file will (as I understand it) be searchable.  The default title of the note is the file name.  I can search the content or the name of the file from the search box.

Questions?

Correction.  When I said "The content of the attached file will (as I understand it) be searchable." - it won't.  The Title should be searchable,  but beware that you'll get "Title not available" unless you connect your account with Google.  I'm adding titles and keywords to the note so I can find the linked files when I need them

Thanks for your answer, which was what I needed. 

I was really excited about the possibility to connect (link to) Google Drive Docs to Evernote, but it doesn't work that well for me. I often have to restart Evernote - which I sort of never did before (I am a Mac user), to get Evernote to recognize my linked Drive Docs. Still after reconnecting, neither their title nor the content is searchable in Evernote. I tried cmd+J and cmd+alt+F, but no luck. 

I won't spend any more time on this now. Copy the link as before works for me, so I'll just wait for coming upgrades to improve this functionality.

• Level 5
17 hours ago, RMK said:

I just want to understand how the new function mentioned actually works. 

I have the same desire for the Windows version (once the beta version is upgraded) Evernote needs to put their shoulder to the boulder and produce some "helpful" and "user friendly" help information. The Evernote 6 to 10 word descriptions just don't cut it when it comes to major improvements.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

OK.  So if I start a new note and want to attach something from Google I click the 'attachment' option and choose Google Drive from the window.  I can scroll around until I find the existing file I want to attach to my note.  I can choose and save that connection.  The content of the attached file will (as I understand it) be searchable.  The default title of the note is the file name.  I can search the content or the name of the file from the search box.

Questions?

In this case haven't you actually put the file into the EN data base as well?  So if you subsequently change it from within EN the Google copy will not be changed?

• Level 5*

Hi Cal - When you start a new note there's an item on the editing toolbar (it's under the right-hand chevrons for me) which shows the Google drive icon. 

If you click that you currently get a window with (again in my case) a scary number of files.  I've used GDrive for a while. 

Click in the 'search bar' at top left though and you can choose Folders,  which is much less panic-inducing. 

I now have an Evernote Attachments Library,  which has subfolders for books n stuff.  Pic below.  I can attach files from there,  which come up as a link in the note.  They don't take up any upload allowance space,  and I can 'open' and edit the Gdrive file attachment directly from Evernote.

Hope that makes sense...

menu.jpg

• Level 5*

Also, unless there is a lag in indexing, contents of an Excel file attached from g-drive are not searchable for me. 

I created a small spreadsheet with zzzxxx in the contents for a unique search and saved the file to g-drive.  I added the file to EN as a g-drive attachment in one note, and a regular attachment in another note.  Only the regular attachment note is in the search results for zzzxxx.  Maybe Excel docs aren't indexed in g-drive?  Don't know haven't looked at it that hard to date. 

• Level 5*

Yeah - I'm sending files there that I don't need to have in my search index.  Most books forinstance will go in there (like the car manual) with a link back to the note plus as many keywords in the note as I may need...

• Level 5*

For me I'd just as soon as have everything in the same search index and I don't have any disk size issues, so I'll probably not move much if anything to GD or DB or OD.  

OTOH, I have moved a couple of frequently used spreadsheets to DropBox using a file link to the local directory in the note.  Works well since clicking the link opens the file faster (for whatever reason) and the DropBox directory is in the same place on both PCs so I really don't notice any difference from a process perspective.  And easy enough to use the DB IOS app to view the file on phone or tablet.  I do lose search in the files, but there isn't anything I need to search in them.  

I did this because of the issue with the attachments folder not always cleaning itself up correctly after modifying an attachment.  Side benefit has been I have a version every time I save on DropBox as opposed to the ones at snapshot time with EN.  FWIW.

Archived