What if I don't need to Sync?

I'm relatively new to Evernote and am very happy with it's performance. I do, however, have an issue. I don't need to sync over multiple devices - Just need to organize, tag, note about 2500 PDF files on a single computer. Early on in my testing it for my use I received a pop-up notification that I had reached my monthly limit - about 60mb I believe and that if I wanted to be able to sync I'd have to upgrade. I don't need to sync - but that error/pop-up seems to stop my ability to tag/note any further files until I do upgrade.

Do I have to upgrade to be able to use the product on one machine with lots of files? if I do NOT have to upgrade - is there a work around so that I can continue testing to ensure Evernote will be effective for our needs?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, JHollard said:

I'm relatively new to Evernote and am very happy with it's performance. I do, however, have an issue. I don't need to sync over multiple devices - Just need to organize, tag, note about 2500 PDF files on a single computer.

Are you using notebooks defined as local (i.e. non-sync'd)?
Do you have auto syncing turned off?

• Level 5*
Just now, JHollard said:

... not sure if I have notebooks defined as local...  sorry...

I'm thinking thats important if you don't want the notes syncd

• Level 5

In Evernote Windows, you can right click the notebook for its properties

The name of local notebooks are grey.

Sync'd notebooks are black

The newest beta version allows you to >File >New Notebook or >File >New Local Notebook

I believe the older versions required you to right click on the top icon above your notebooks. It has a black notebook icon with the word Notebooks.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, JHollard said:

OK - I'll keep searching on how to define notebooks as local - thanks

I'd also recommend having a backup strategy, for example a periodic export to a .enex file

With no syncing, you can't count on the EN servers for recovery

• Level 5*

@JHollard

If Windows, go to File - New Local Notebook to create a local notebook.  And as per @DTLow, create a backup of your local notebooks at a frequency that is comfortable for you.  I would recommend the ENEX export option.

EDIT:  Oops just realized the above is a repeat of @jbenson2.

Archived