Tag: search produces notes with unrelated tags

I am using the search syntax suggested by EV but when I search "tag: condo.assoc" I get notes that have tags not requested in that, specific, search query.  

How do I get results that have only the tag indicated in the syntax of my query?  I know I can use the "-" option but I don't even know what tagged notes EN is going to produce, so I would have to do the search first, then go back and add the "-" option.

EV tag search.jpg

It was the space that was the problem, thanks.   When I left it out I got far better results, however, I did get one strange listing; see attached.  Why would the last note appear in the results, with those totally unrelated tags?

DT with Condo.Assoc.jpg

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

It was the space that was the problem, thanks.   When I left it out I got far better results, however, I did get one strange listing; see attached.  Why would the last note appear in the results, with those totally unrelated tags?

It seems to match to match your criteria of having tag:condo.assoc

You haven't  specified notes with additional tags are to be excluded (I have no idea how to do this).  Maybe assign a temporary tag which you can exclude

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DTLow said:

You haven't  specified notes with additional tags are to be excluded (I have no idea how to do this).  Maybe assign a temporary tag which you can exclude

Syntax for that is: -tag:SomeTag

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

What I'm having trouble understanding is why, if my search query is specific, that  EN delivers notes with unrelated tags, which I can't exclude unless I know EV is going to deliver them.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

What I'm having trouble understanding is why, if my search query is specific, that  EN delivers notes with unrelated tags, which I can't exclude unless I know EV is going to deliver them.

Your search was specific    -     show me all notes with this tag
It does not say                    -     show me all notes with this tag and no other tags

As an example, lets say I do a search for all notes tagged with daughter's name
I would expect all notes, even if they're also tagged with school/church/art.......

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, mikecox39 said:

EN does not have a search process that says find notes with only this tag.  EN finds all notes that contain the tag, whether the notes have other tags or not..

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, mikecox39 said:

What is the point of tagging a note with several tags then, if you don't want to note to show in the search results when searching for one of those tags? Do you mean that you want EN to show the last note only when you are searching for all 4 tags at once?

5 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

What is the point of tagging a note with several tags then, if you don't want to note to show in the search results when searching for one of those tags? Do you mean that you want EN to show the last note only when you are searching for all 4 tags at once?

What I'm trying to get when I search a tag in a list of notes with only that tag.  But I'm beginning to see that if there are other tags on the  one I'm searching for they will have to come as well. How could it be otherwise :wacko:

Thanks

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mikecox39 said:

What I'm trying to get when I search a tag in a list of notes with only that tag.  But I'm beginning to see that if there are other tags on the  one I'm searching for they will have to come as well. How could it be otherwise :wacko:

Thanks

When you do a search, it's just saying find all notes that match some set of criteria. For tags, you can express "note contains a tag named 'something'" (tag:something), note does not contain a tag named 'something'" (-tag:something), "note contains a tag beginning with 'something'" (tag:something*) or "note contains tags that do not contain 'something'"  (-tag:something*). There's no way to express "note contains only tag 'something'"), or "note contains exactly 1 tag) (or two or three tags, etc.). A full query language would let you express such things; Evernote's search language does not. Some reading for you: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php:) 

Archived