HELP note content lost and I can't find a 'conflicting changes' notebook

I am a premium accountholder and have been for years. 

Editing the same note on iPad and iPhone today, I realised that the note had stopped syncing at some point on one or both devices. I copied the content that was in the iPhone version, but suddenly the iPad version decided to sync before I got the chance to preserve that content.

I have hunted for the 'conflicting changes' notebook on both devices, and signed into the browser version of Evernote to look for it, to no avail. The content appears to be lost. 

If this is the case, THIS IS CATASTROPHIC. 

Can someone PLEASE tell me there is something I'm missing, some solution that will reveal a hidden 'conflicting changes' notebook or restore the previous version of my note?

• Level 5*

Since you are a premium member go to the note and see what history is available.  You can do this by clicking on the info icon on a desktop version or the web .

• Level 5*

Hi.  As a premium user you'll be able to look at Note History - although if,  for whatever reason,  your device stopped talking to Evernote without uploading the content,  the lost data won't be on the server,  it -may- be in temporary storage on your device,  or would have been until it was powered off.

Evernote can't predict when a device loses a connection to the network,  so there's not much they can do.  Syncing frequently during edits,  or using an app which stores content locally may help avoid this sort of thing in future...

All right, I'm feeling frantic just like the OP. I got notice to install a new version of Evernote which previous updates/installations when relatively free of issues. This go-around, I lost changes that weren't synced yet which previous files not fully synced and with the updated version didn't cause any problems. Here, there was another message of moving the files from one folder to another. Didn't think anything of it so went ahead with continuing with the copying over of the files, figuring from past experiences those files would be saved from what was on my hard drive.

Much to my dismay, I lost the entire folder of files with conflicting changes which I didn't get around to comparing the two conflicting files (before I knew the reason for the conflicts in using 2 devices and not syncing each in sequence but in one month the conflicts were random when I wasn't even using more than my laptop for adding entries). Today, I had just added a bunch of journal entries to a file from a Notepad file. Again, didn't get around to syncing since I relied too much on the modifications saved to the laptop hard drive.

Now, I want all those previous files back and even the previous version of Evernote. Why, oh, why, did this happen just when I was reading criticisms about Evernote losing files and as Evernote was updating and doing all sorts of unusual changes (as in moving files to the Document and Settings folder), I got a bad feeling about the bad copying over of files.

Please tell me I can somehow retrieve the earlier files before the move. I did get some message at the end that some files couldn't be deleted.

Also, to be sure, I don't have the ios version of Evernote but I saw this question immediately related to my unsettling concern.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Amarna said:

All right, I'm feeling frantic just like the OP. I got notice to install a new version of Evernote which previous updates/installations when relatively free of issues. This go-around, I lost changes that weren't synced yet which previous files not fully synced and with the updated version didn't cause any problems. Here, there was another message of moving the files from one folder to another. Didn't think anything of it so went ahead with continuing with the copying over of the files, figuring from past experiences those files would be saved from what was on my hard drive.

Much to my dismay, I lost the entire folder of files with conflicting changes which I didn't get around to comparing the two conflicting files (before I knew the reason for the conflicts in using 2 devices and not syncing each in sequence but in one month the conflicts were random when I wasn't even using more than my laptop for adding entries). Today, I had just added a bunch of journal entries to a file from a Notepad file. Again, didn't get around to syncing since I relied too much on the modifications saved to the laptop hard drive.

Now, I want all those previous files back and even the previous version of Evernote. Why, oh, why, did this happen just when I was reading criticisms about Evernote losing files and as Evernote was updating and doing all sorts of unusual changes (as in moving files to the Document and Settings folder), I got a bad feeling about the bad copying over of files.

Please tell me I can somehow retrieve the earlier files before the move. I did get some message at the end that some files couldn't be deleted.

Also, to be sure, I don't have the ios version of Evernote but I saw this question immediately related to my unsettling concern.

You'd get a better answer if you post your questions in this forum

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

You'd be better to post your question in the forum matching your device (Windows)

All right, thanks for the advice. I will do that but I'd like to add an idea here.

I'm rooting around in the different folders of the hard drive and relying a lot on the message that some files couldn't be deleted. And I've noticed the previous directory for Evernote was:

Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Databases

In that directory, there is a huge file which I am assuming is the database of all the previous files with an extension of ".exb." I'm thinking I could copy that file over to the one at "Documents and Settings\Owner\Evernote\Databases. No, I'm not doing anything until someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

Yes, I'll copy over my question over to the Windows thread and see if I can find a similar thread.

Thanks to anyone who can offer his/her expertise. This is just a nightmare I should have went with my gut feelings.

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Amarna said:

All right, thanks for the advice. I will do that but I'd like to add an idea here.

I'm rooting around in the different folders of the hard drive and relying a lot on the message that some files couldn't be deleted. And I've noticed the previous directory for Evernote was:

Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Databases

In that directory, there is a huge file which I am assuming is the database of all the previous files with an extension of ".exb." I'm thinking I could copy that file over to the one at "Documents and Settings\Owner\Evernote\Databases. No, I'm not doing anything until someone more knowledgeable can confirm.

Yes, I'll copy over my question over to the Windows thread and see if I can find a similar thread.

Thanks to anyone who can offer his/her expertise. This is just a nightmare I should have went with my gut feelings.

I usually don't spend much time troubleshooting on my devices. 

When things go wonky, I reboot the device - it sometimes solves problems

Next solution is to delete the app and database.  
Reinstalling the app results in the database being rebuilt from the master version on the EN servers (does not include local notebooks and unsynced notes)

DTLow, typically I joke the solution to most computer problems is rebooting but that's mainly for hanging/frozen screens or slow surfing.

I'm inclined to delete the newer database. But I don't want to cause more of a convoluted problem. One thing I won't do is to delete the files from the previous directory.

I'll have to check out Chantal's link (which I was initially confused by the reference of the link as below; it's actually the subject line). Cross my fingers and hope that works. Thanks to you both for replying.

Vansk, I re-read your opening post and I realize I hijacked your thread for more than being in the wrong forum of OS version. Your technical problem wasn't even the same as mine though all I saw was the missing conflicting changes file. (I wasn't thinking or reading clearly with my frantic reaction to the loss of my files and modifications but which I've since been able to retrieve from the file in the former directory.)

So sorry for butting in without adding much to resolving your lost changes (though others did offer the best advice in possibly searching through the history but as someone without that access, I'm not sure that history captured the content of interest in which was synced to your web archive or to the local drive, as noted by gazumped).

I hope you're able to recover those "out of sync" modifications.

Your experience makes me even more wary when using more than one device at a time (which was the cause of the conflicting changes the first time; the most recent completely baffles me since I haven't used my tablet to open or modify any notes for some time) - and in general, it gives me further pause in miscues in the system.

Archived