Apple Mail .eml Files in Evernote

I drag an email from Apple Mail into Evernote. Sometimes the .eml file will successfully copy. Other times nothing happens, or it will display a long blue hyperlink. It's a bug that should be resolved.

On 7/11/2016 at 10:23 PM, logam11 said:

I drag an email from Apple Mail into Evernote. Sometimes the .eml file will successfully copy. Other times nothing happens, or it will display a long blue hyperlink. It's a bug that should be resolved.

Hi there @logam11;

I'd be more than happy to look into this for you! What version of Evernote and OSX do you have installed? Also, are you using the version of Evernote downloaded from the Mac App Store, or from our website?

I look forward to your response.

• 2 months later...

This happens to me to. Although I am an Evernote premium user, version  6.7.1 on Mac downloaded from the App store, when I drag from mail directly to evernote, I just get nothing. Just the subject line of the email as the text in an Untitled Note. It's really ***** up my work flow.  Using El Capitain 10.11.6

• Level 5*
On 10/17/2016 at 2:03 PM, Liz on Evernote said:

This happens to me to. Although I am an Evernote premium user, version  6.7.1 on Mac downloaded from the App store, when I drag from mail directly to evernote, I just get nothing. Just the subject line of the email as the text in an Untitled Note. It's really ***** up my work flow.  Using El Capitain 10.11.6

I don't know why, but I have to drag to the desktop, then drag into Evernote
or just drag to my import folder

fwiw  I use an Applescript to copy my mail into Evernote  (documented here)
         I wanted more control on what gets attached, title, contents, tags, notebook etc

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, Liz on Evernote said:

@DTLow what is an import folder?

It's just a folder set up so any contents are automatically imported into Evernote.

On Windows, it's actually an Evernote feature.  
- You identify folders and Evernote watches for files added to the folder.

On Macs, the process is driven by the OS, but we have to do some extra work.  
- The OS has a folder-actions feature that trigger when files are added to the folder.

The folder-actions can trigger execution of Applescript or Automator workflows
- At it's basic, a note is created in Evernote with the file as an attachment
- This can be customized for Title, Notebook, Tags etc.
- My applescript process is documented here
   Another process is documented at http://veritrope.com/evernote-desktop-folder/

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, stocky2605 said:

@DTLowHi, are your .eml AppleScripts still available? the llinked note seems to be no longer available - thank you very much in advance!

I corrected the link. The details are at 

• Thanks 1