How-To: Sync text across files/areas?

Hey y'all,

I'm in the process of developing a self-organization system. I'm wondering if it's possible to aggregate & sync/replicate pieces of a file across different files? For example, I want to be able to do this:

File A: X,Y,Z

File B: 1,2,3

File C: X,Y,Z,1,2,3

And be such that if I change File A - Item Y, the change automatically reflects in File C as well.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance,

Krish

• Level 5*

Hi.  No.  Not least because Evernote doesn't deal in 'files'.  It's possible to have notes and attach a file to a note,  but changes to files or notes are entirely user-driven.  I get the impression Evernote is not the self-organization system you're looking for...

• Level 5*

One way you can kind of do it is to create 3 table of contents notes that would represent file A, B, and C.  But probably not what you are looking for if you want all the items in the same note.

• Level 5*
On July 4, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Krishroff said:

I want to be able to do this:

File A: X,Y,Z

File B: 1,2,3

File C: X,Y,Z,1,2,3

And be such that if I change File A - Item Y, the change automatically reflects in File C as well.

Is this possible?

I'm guessing you mean Note when you say file

The answer is no, info only shows in a single note

Edit: As per csihilling

The only way I can see this done is to have Individual Notes X Y Z 1 2 3

Note A contains links to X Y Z

Note B contains links to 1 2 3

Note C contains links to X Y Z 1 2 3

@DTLow spot on, I did mean notes (sorry @gazumped & @csihilling) when I said files. I just mentally refer to them as such!

I'm using the links to different notes already, but thing is, I don't want it linked off. I want pieces from different notes to sync/combine into one note. Let me rephrase:

Note 1 contains paragraphs A, B, C (where for example A = intro on a work project, B = tasks to be done, C = additional notes for people)

Note 2 contains bullet points, organized in sections X, Y, Z (i.e. X  = Admin tasks, Y = Sales tasks, & Z = Finance tasks)

I wanted a function of some sort that would let me set it up so that in a new note, Note 3, if I set it to lock on to Note 1 - Paragraph B, & Note 2 - Section Y, it would continuously sync those sections into this new one. Sort of an aggregator-type function across various notes.

Example: Note 3 = 1-B, 2-Y

This would be useful in keeping one master list of tasks, as well as dividing tasks for individual people/areas.

Any thoughts on this?

• Level 5*

The capability as you have laid it out doesn't exist in EN today.  Cut and paste or duplicate editing are the only ways I can think of that one could accomplish this within EN.  

Or, with a change to your process (never like to say that), you could create notes 1-A, 1-B, 1-C, 2-A, 2-B and 2-C, use tags to make it easy to find them, and then merge whichever 1 and 2 to create note 3, either with cut/paste or merge notes.  Now if you use 3 a lot this is probably not an optimal solution, but might work if you are giving note 3 to someone in a status meeting or whatever.

Archived