I am an ardent Evernote Fan.  It organizes my life, my thoughts, but not my steps.  Why?  Because it doesn't have an easy and simple list making mechanism.  You know one where you simply give it a title, add an item and swipe to one side to remove it, but keep a copy of that satisfied list item for research sake.  I have a rudimentary list making app now called I Do Lists (on IOS) .  It's one deficit is I can't share it with a contact.  It seems a natural fit to have something like this in Evernote.  Creating a list with a checkbox just doesn't substitute for this ease of functionality.  There has been quite a bit of discussion out there Why Evernote is Not a To-Do-List , and I realize that a To-Do-List would involve even more functionality than I'm looking for in terms of prioritizing projects,etc.  But it does show that there is significant interest in this area for Evernote.  I'll hope they'll hear my plea and consider adding this useful functionality to platform that touts itself as " Evernote empowers people to fulfill their personal and professional goals. We're doing this by building a 100 year company on a foundation of incredible technology and design. We're just getting started."  So get started adding List Making to your repertoire!

• Level 5*

Hi.  I'm sure Evernote will consider your suggestion,  but they seem to have decided not to become a 'to-do' application.  Why would they?  There are already dozens out there...

• Level 5*
On July 3, 2016 at 1:41 PM, steveredmond said:

I am an ardent Evernote Fan.  It organizes my life, my thoughts, but not my steps.  Why?  Because it doesn't have an easy and simple list making mechanism.

Moved to a feedback forum to be better addressed as a feature request.  

Please indicate your support for this request by using the voting buttons in the upper left corner

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I'm sure Evernote will consider your suggestion,  but they seem to have decided not to become a 'to-do' application.  Why would they?  There are already dozens out there...

Well in an ideal world Evernote could be more of a productive operating system. There is really no reason to categorize functions that fall inside or outside the description of Evernote.

It's more about prioritizing though. Work chat fits right into the thought of EN as a productive power house, but it shouldn't have been something to focus on this "early" in EN's development.

I experimented with creating "task notes" where each individual task was a single note using the tile field only - NOTHING IN THE BODY. I gave these a "_QT" tag (for Quick Task, with an underscore to bump it to the top of the tag list) and put reminders on them so they would show up in my phone widget as a list. Didn't work for me. For my purposes, 80% of the time EN is more like a filing cabinet and my backup brain. While I occasionally use it to manage a quick project, for the most part it's not something I "actively" work in so I found that tasks got added and never looked at again, especially since I'm a VERY heavy desktop client user and rarely use EN on my phone. 

Since that was a fail, in my never-ending quest for productivity peace I've been playing around with Trello lately for tasks and am starting to like it and get the hang of it. I know it has some integrations with EN using Zapier or IFTTT but I haven't played around with any of those yet. (I'm still a little sore that Instagram broke my IFTTT recipe for saving liked photos to EN so am holding a grudge against IFTTT even though it wasn't their fault...)

• 2 weeks later...

You could create a notebook where completed notes live. When a note is completed, move it there. In the Windows desktop you can drag it there. In mobile devices, it is pretty easy to move it there. 

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Candid said:

You could create a notebook where completed notes live. When a note is completed, move it there. In the Windows desktop you can drag it there. In mobile devices, it is pretty easy to move it there. 

Instead if moving the task note between notebooks, why not just flag it as completed
My approach is to use the reminder feature to assign a due date to each task note.
When a task is completed, again using the reminder feature I mark the task note as completed.

To exclude completed tags from a search, just add     -reminderDoneTime:*

Archived