Going from Any.DO to Evernote

acTERZO

Hi all, fairly new to using Evernote so just after some helpful advice. I've been using Any.DO for a year or so now for personal organisation and more heavily for work tasks. I work in marketing so in Any.DO I am accustomed to creating a note with the title being the name of the client and the sub tasks within the note being the work tasks I need to complete for each client. I then organise these tasks by time so I can clearly see the tasks I need to do by: today, tomorrow, upcoming and some day. 

Recently, Any.DO has developed quite a lot of bugs that make relying on this app for work purposes very questionable. Therefore, I would like to switch over to Evernote. However, before paying for a subscription I just wanted to know if any previous Any.DO users would be able to help me replicate the structure I have set up in Any.DO in Evernote. Once I can confirm tasks can be broken down by client and then by day/time I will definitely make the switch.

• Level 5*
On June 21, 2016 at 1:16 AM, acTERZO said:

Hi all, fairly new to using Evernote so just after some helpful advice. I've been using Any.DO for a year or so now for personal organisation and more heavily for work tasks. I work in marketing so in Any.DO I am accustomed to creating a note with the title being the name of the client and the sub tasks within the note being the work tasks I need to complete for each client. I then organise these tasks by time so I can clearly see the tasks I need to do by: today, tomorrow, upcoming and some day. 

Recently, Any.DO has developed quite a lot of bugs that make relying on this app for work purposes very questionable. Therefore, I would like to switch over to Evernote. However, before paying for a subscription I just wanted to know if any previous Any.DO users would be able to help me replicate the structure I have set up in Any.DO in Evernote. Once I can confirm tasks can be broken down by client and then by day/time I will definitely make the switch.

I'm not an Any.Do user, but I can confirm

>>tasks can be broken down by client
I'd recommend (date) you look at the Evernote tag feature. You can also put the customer name in the note title
It is very easy to tag a note with a (or multiple) client tags,

>>and then by day/time
I use the reminder feature. You can also put the date into the note title
The reminder feature allows me to identify a current task list, excluding completed tasks, excluding future dated tasks

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, acTERZO said:

Once I can confirm tasks can be broken down by client and then by day/time I will definitely make the switch.

IMO, for it to work in EN you will need to create a note per task.  Per @DTLow I would recommend you put a reminder on each note and have the title be Task and tag the note with Client.  If this doesn't sound too onerous, you could try a test drive with a free account to see if it indeed fits your work style and method. 

You can also add tags for priority and the like plus other client information for easy searching and access.

• 1 month later...

Hi! This is my first comment! I started using Evernote cause I practice GTD. If you want to use Evernote , I Recommend you to leave the classics Task reminders, and start using GTD. Evernote is much more than a task reminder, if you use tags and the correct notebooks. With Evernote you can make a productivity system. If you want links or info I can send it to you. Changing from a task reminder is worthy is you use GTD with Evernote.

Sorry for my English!

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, gongnr said:

Hi! This is my first comment! I started using Evernote cause I practice GTD. If you want to use Evernote , I Recommend you to leave the classics Task reminders, and start using GTD. Evernote is much more than a task reminder, if you use tags and the correct notebooks. With Evernote you can make a productivity system. If you want links or info I can send it to you. Changing from a task reminder is worthy is you use GTD with Evernote.

I'm interested in your interpretation of what GTD is.

One of my takeaways from reading David Allen's book was to have focused lists of your tasks/projects and I've been implementing this focus in EN

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I've used Any.DO in the past, and also found it buggy, as you mention. If you want a direct translation of your setup, you can create a notebook for each client and then a note for each task. You can then schedule the task using either tags (my suggestion) or Reminders. This is probably the simplest and most direct translation from what you're currently doing with Any.DO.

• Client A (Notebook)
    • Task A (Note)
    • Task B (note
    • Task C (note)
  • Client B (Notebook)
    • Etc.

Then you can create tags for Today, Soon, Upcoming, and Someday, just like you had with Any.DO. What's nice is you can also create tags for many other things, like October, 2017, Next Client Meeting, etc. You can get a lot more versatile than what Any.DO let you accomplish, if you'd like. But if what Any.DO had worked, then you can directly translate it in Evernote easily.

I wouldn't buy a subscription just yet, though. Use the free version and test the system out; make sure it works for you. Then see if you need a subscription, and if so, which one best works for you. But I wouldn't jump right in - you run the risk of paying for something you end up not liking.

Archived