Feature Request: Flagging

DocGJD

Idea

I have now been using Evernote daily for the past year. I attend multiple lectures daily and have them organized using the tagging system (which all works really well).

What I am missing is the ability to "flag" lectures. I think this is an important feature that has been overlooked. Typically I will be need to review 15+ lectures a week and by the weekend it can be hard to remember what lectures I've already reviewed and which ones I still need to review. It would be so much faster/easier if I had a graphical flag beside the lectures that I still need to review.

I have used the current tagging system to divide pre-midterm from post-midterm which is better than nothing but doesn't quite do what I need.

The flag/review feature doesn't need to be super complicated:

1) a red flag, yellow flag, and green flag

or

2) simply flagged and unflagged

I intend on using Evernote for at least the next 4 years and really hope that others in the community agree that this would be an important feature to add to subsequent releases.

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On June 8, 2016 at 8:07 PM, DocGJD said:

or

?You say flagged. I say tagged .........?
Have you thought of using tags?

I don't know of any flags in Evernote, although you can use emoji in your titles and tags
Lecture1?       Lecture2? 

Also, I use reminders to identify tasks (current and future)
There is also checkboxes
- you can do a search on lectures with an open checkboxScreen Shot 2016-06-12 at 12.50.17 PM.png

• Level 5
On 6/8/2016 at 11:07 PM, DocGJD said:

I intend on using Evernote for at least the next 4 years and really hope that others in the community agree that this would be an important feature to add to subsequent releases.

Since Evernote already offers a searchable Checkbox option, I doubt they will develop colored flags as well.

Procedure: Add an empty checkbox for the lecture. After reading the lecture, check the box.

• Search for Lectures to be reviewed later:

todo:false

• Search for Lectures that have been read and completed:

todo:true

• To search for all lectures - both read and unread

todo:*

• Level 5*
On 6/8/2016 at 11:07 PM, DocGJD said:

I don't think the Mac has it yet but Windows does allow you to assign a color to a tag, so hopefully coming soon for the Mac folks, but until then another option is to assign a reminder to the lectures you need to review, with or without a date, whatever works best for you.  Then they can be marked as done when reviewed.  There is search syntax for reminders so you could easily set up a saved search to list all of the lectures that you still need to review, or likewise, have reviewed.

• Level 5*
On 6/8/2016 at 10:07 PM, DocGJD said:

or

If you are comfortable with tags then could create tags flag.red, flag.yellow, flag.green (easier to find with the same suffix).  Same for flag.toread and flag.read.

Or you could add reminders with date/time and mark them complete after you have read the notes.

I appreciate all of your suggestions....

All of which I already have implemented in some form or another.. it is however tedious and a graphical flag provides a really simple way for me to see what I need to review and what hasn't been reviewed without having to click individually through all my lectures to check which ones have tick boxes etc...

Typically every lecture is already tagged with the topic (ie. Cardio vascular), along with the unit (ie. M1, M2, M3, etc...), along with the what exam it fell before (ie. midterm material or final material)... it is all fine and well to continue to add tags ad nauseam however a simpler solution would be to add the ability to quickly add a flag in the side list.

The main reason why tags are not appropriate is because I would still like to be able to see the lectures that I have reviewed in the list should I need to quickly refer back.

Ultimately to be able to organize the material so that all of the "working" lectures are visible in one window with flags beside them so I know which ones I have already reviewed while also being able to refer back to ones that have been reviewed by selecting them from the list. (They are all relevant for the current exam/s that I would be studying for so I don't really want them to disappear off the list just because I have reviewed them).

Again, that you all for your suggestions -- they are just not what I need evernote to do for my particular use.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, DocGJD said:

The main reason why tags are not appropriate is because I would still like to be able to see the lectures that I have reviewed in the list should I need to quickly refer back.

Could you explain this?

It seems to me that a flag is just another name for a tag.  Adding a flag-tag doesn't take away anything.

If you put them in the shortcuts area, they're completely separate from the othe tags.

• Level 5*

I appreciate you would like a flag and color and that this is posted in the voting section of the forum.  All the above represents "in the meantime...."

9 hours ago, DocGJD said:

it is all fine and well to continue to add tags ad nauseam however a simpler solution would be to add the ability to quickly add a flag in the side list.

Add the tag fl.toread to the shortcuts bar and with one click you see all unread notes.

9 hours ago, DocGJD said:

Add the search any: tag:fl.* to see all subject notes add the unit if you want to slim the list.

Tag maintenance with all the above for sure.  Hopefully others who desire this functionality will up vote. 

Archived