Backup Evernote

What file(s) do I need to backup in order to make a full restore of my Evernote account in case of trouble?
Currently I backup only the .exb file.
Is that enough?

• Level 5*
On May 21, 2016 at 0:47 AM, oded said:

What file(s) do I need to backup in order to make a full restore of my Evernote account in case of trouble?
Is that enough?

My current process is to not backup my evernote data files (Windows .exb / Mac folder)
- this backup would be of limited use
Instead I export to .enex and .html files; a weekly full backup, and daily increments

You should consider what kind of "trouble" are you preparing for?
For example;
- you lose a note
- your pc self destructs 
- you're a victim of ransomware and your Evernote data is compromised, including the servers
- your house burns down

You mentioned backing up the .exb file
- would this be offsite?
- a single or multiple backups? full or incremental backups?
- would you be using this to retore individual notes?
- do you have a plan for how to use that backup .exb file, and are you aware of the limitations?

If you decide to switch to a .enex backup, you might be interested in this app to automate the process https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/89276-backupery-backup-evernote-data-to-your-computer-automatically

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, oded said:

Is that enough?

It's covered in @JMichaelTX'S post.  

My two cents, i would recommend creating ENEX backups by notebook preserving tags on a cycle that feels good to you in addition to the EXB backup.  Particularly if you have any local notebooks (prime way to get those notes back if something untoward occurs).  And this is not just for a full restore but is also for the occasional "Oops, I didn't mean to delete that and I've emptied the trash".

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I'm trying to follow the instructions at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313528 to backup my Evernote files.  I am using Windows 10 PC and I normally use the Evernote app when accessing my notes from the PC, otherwise I use the Evernote app on my Android devices (phone and tablet).

Where it says 

Creating an Evernote archive of all of your notes is as easy as right-clicking 'Notebooks' and choosing 'Export Notes'. 

I have tried to do this in the App but nothing happens, so I opened Chrome browser, went to evernote.com and logged in and tried right clicking, but that just gives me Chrome/Windows related menu options.

So I thought I would do the directory option which says:

If you choose to backup the Evernote data directly, the data that must be backed up lives in the C:\Users\[PC Name]\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Databases directory, so you'll want to make sure it's included in your backups. 

But I go to C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local and my directories go from "Elevateddiagnostics" to "Google" and therefore there's no "Evernote" level.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

The reason for wanting to back up is I occasionally seem to have an issue when I just look up information within a note/notebook on the Windows app.  I click the back arrow and get offered "Save or discard" choice and since I was only looking at the information, I choose "Discard" thinking that somehow it must have thought I made a change to the information. (note: the note/notebook still shows all the information/content on the screen as still being there). It takes me back to the previous screen where it shows "tiles" of about 4 notes and the one I've just backed out of shows the heading but nothing underneath (normally it shows 2-3 lines of the start of the contents).  Sure enough, I open it and it's totally blank.

The first time this happened, I had to spend ages trying to think of everything that was in the note, find that information and re-enter it.  I put this info into a Word document at the time and copied and pasted it back into the notebook.  This was the the same notebook that just got lost for the 2nd time so I at least had the Word backup (I may have lost a little bit of stuff if I updated/added to the notebook via my phone) and on the same day I opened another notebook and also lost the info when it said "discard or save changes".  For this notebook, I opened my app on the phone and was able to do a "select all" and copy it before it had a chance to sync with this newly updated "emptied" version and was able to email the contents back to myself.

PS - on a side note, when I came to these help forums, I was prompted to complete registration even though I came via a logged in Evernote web browser window and it didn't allow me to use my username saying it was already in use by another member (I assume it meant my account) so I had to choose something totally random.  How come it wouldn't let me use my username that I use under my evernote account?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Elephant86 said:

have tried to do this in the App but nothing happens

>>Creating an Evernote archive of all of your notes is as easy as right-clicking 'Notebooks' and choosing 'Export Notes'

You might  start small and select a single note and try to export it?
I have not experienced a problem; however you have to have a selection to export

If your purpose is to restore a single note, you might not be satisfied with a full note backup.  
Its not the easiest process to do a restore.  Your best process is the note history feature 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Elephant86 said:

I have tried to do this in the App but nothing happens

If you right click on Notebooks or one of your notebooks you should see this menu.  I would recommend exporting by notebook, preserving tags if you go the ENEX route.

Image.png

So I thought I would do the directory option which says:

Go to Tools - Options - General to see where your EN data base is located.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, Elephant86 said:

Creating an Evernote archive of all of your notes is as easy as right-clicking 'Notebooks' and choosing 'Export Notes'. 

I have tried to do this in the App but nothing happens

In the Windows app you have to first select which notes you would like to back up.  If you want to back them all up, first click on All Notes and then Ctrl-A to select all notes and then right mouse button -> Export Notes.  You will be given four format options to select from.

seem to have an issue when I just look up information within a note/notebook on the Windows app.  I click the back arrow and get offered "Save or discard" choice and since I was only looking at the information

Can you include a screen shot of this back arrow?  The only back arrow I'm aware of in the Windows app will just take you to a prior opened note.  I can't see a way to recreate this Save or discard option you mention.

Archived